Author Topic: Pre-Barnabas Episodes on DVD - UPDATE  (Read 7899 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-Barnabas Episodes on DVD - UPDATE
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2006, 03:00:06 AM »
MPI should know better- you don't go around stabbing you consumers in the back like this!!  We should ALL have petitions out at the Festival regarding this.  And where is Jim Pierson?  Does HE know what MPI is doing to us all?
THe question should be does he CARE??? ??

You may have noticed dear cousins that I've been SITTING on my hands since Charles posed this question yesterday!   ;D

Hopefully MPI is monitoring these replies and will see the error of their marketing ways!
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2006, 05:03:31 AM »
I love these episodes and I've been dying for them to come out on DVD for ages. I don't care who's selling them. It's a matter of price.

I'm not paying $60 for them. If I can pick them up on eBay for cheaper, sure, but I don't need to shell out $240 for 4 sets. Meanwhile? I've got my VHS tapes, which play just fine, thank you very much. The reason I usually buy DVDs are for the extras, an area in which MPI has been severely lacking.

Here's a question that has always bugged me... in the "Collectors Series" of VHS tapes, the pre-show slate was included before the episode aired. I always thought that was a nice addition. What I'm wondering is does the pre-show slate exist for every episode, and why don't they include them? That would be a nice set of extras.

What about the old commercials for the toys? I was reading in an old 16 magazine I bought of ebay (God bless you ebay) that Terry Crawford was in the original commercial for the Dark Shadows Board game. They've got the commercial for the damn stuffed heads (Barnabas, Quentin... and the Witch!) how about the board game commercials?

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2006, 05:21:53 AM »
What about the old commercials for the toys? I was reading in an old 16 magazine I bought of ebay (God bless you ebay) that Terry Crawford was in the original commercial for the Dark Shadows Board game. They've got the commercial for the damn stuffed heads (Barnabas, Quentin... and the Witch!) how about the board game commercials?

The commercial for the Milton Bradley "Barnabas Collins Game" is on the DARK SHADOWS SPECIAL EDITION DVD.  The version here is a black and white kinescope.  The commercial was shot on the drawing room set, which makes me wonder if it was originally shot on color videotape using the equipment already in place.  Regardless, it is a treat, especially because it offers a rare glimpse of Terry Crawford in contemporary late 1960s clothing.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2006, 05:54:56 AM »
Ah ha! Thanks! Now I must get my hands on that DVD!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2006, 01:38:06 PM »
Regardless, it is a treat, especially because it offers a rare glimpse of Terry Crawford in contemporary late 1960s clothing.

And we can all thank Bobubas for finding that commercial for us to enjoy.  God knows Pierson and MPI didn't and won't!   >:(
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2006, 06:10:01 PM »
in general i'm very disappointed in the lack of innovation coming out of mpi's products department.

i haven't recieved the catalogue recently but the last time i did they were still hawking that stupid ornament from the 1990's and those boxers.and every year those sad wares end up on mpi's table at the fest.who wants that junk?

knowing what a devoted fanbase d.s. has i'm amazed they don't issue new products every year.the possibilities are endless.jigsaw puzzles,word games,paper dolls,bound episode guides.how about a re-issue of the board game or the trading cards?there is really nothing new.

on another note i'd love to see that commercial featuring terry crawford.because her character appeared as a ghost in the present she is one of the very few actresses on the show we never get to see in contemporary clothing.because she is so tall i'll bet she was a knock-out in a mini and she probably had really pretty hair as well.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2006, 07:51:00 AM »
I'm very upset to learn that the DVDs will not be wide-released.  The pre-Barnabas episodes were the only DVD sets I was planning to buy, and I was looking forward to owning and watching them.  Ever since the series began to be released to DVD, fans have always asked after the pre-Barnabas episodes: will they be released? how soon? etc.  That tells me that there is definitely a market for the product, but for various reasons--low finances or objection to the principle of the way this deal is being handled--the interested would-be buyers would not want to join the DVD club.  Personally, I think it's ridiculous to restrict availablitiy of these DVDs.  When the episodes were on video, everybody had the opportunity to buy them.  I also think this marketing strategy will backfire and alienate a lot of non-club-but-loyal-nonetheless customers.  I refuse to join a DVD club just to get these episodes.  I may end up hunting on e-bay, or sharing with friends who do own the DVDs if that's how I have to see them, but I will not play along with this scam.  >:(

ProfStokes

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2006, 08:46:37 AM »
Ah ha! Thanks! Now I must get my hands on that DVD!

Two screen captures to whet your appetite...

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2006, 04:13:43 PM »
Two screen captures to whet your appetite...

Ah! Thanks! I must go a hunting on ebay now!

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2006, 01:02:31 AM »
I think it's reprehensible for MPI to treat us fans this way.  [angryf]  I have purchased all of the pre-Barnanbas episodes on VHS and all of the DVD Sets.  I WAS intending to buy the pre-Barnabas DVD's as well, to complete my collection.  However, I am VERY dismayed to hear that ONLY DS DVD Club Members will be able to purchase them.  That really sucks.  [angrg]  We don't deserve to be treated this way.  I refuse to be blackmailed into joining a club to purchase them.  [vryangg] It seems to me that they just want to make more money.  They are greedy SOB's who don't seem to care about their fans.  [6042]  I sincerely hope they change their minds.  I will NOT be purchasing the DVD's through their club.  I am glad I have them on VHS, at least.  [cheesyg] I would gladly sign a petion at the Fest or anyplace else to protest this. [82b5]

----- Sally -----
[/size]
[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2006, 08:00:32 AM »
I think it's reprehensible for MPI to treat us fans this way.  [angryf]  I have purchased all of the pre-Barnanbas episodes on VHS and all of the DVD Sets.  I WAS intending to buy the pre-Barnabas DVD's as well, to complete my collection.  However, I am VERY dismayed to hear that ONLY DS DVD Club Members will be able to purchase them.  That really sucks.  [angrg]  We don't deserve to be treated this way.  I refuse to be blackmailed into joining a club to purchase them.  [vryangg] It seems to me that they just want to make more money.  They are greedy SOB's who don't seem to care about their fans.  [6042]  I sincerely hope they change their minds.  I will NOT be purchasing the DVD's through their club.  I am glad I have them on VHS, at least.  [cheesyg] I would gladly sign a petion at the Fest or anyplace else to protest this.

What is annoying to me is that for some strange reason MPI is under the impression that only the DVD Club Members deserve to complete their collection because MPI seems to think that they are the only loyal customers they have. That is the most stupidest idea I have ever heard.

FireRose

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2006, 08:40:47 AM »
What is annoying to me is that for some strange reason MPI is under the impression that only the DVD Club Members deserve to complete their collection because MPI seems to think that they are the only loyal customers they have. That is the most stupidest idea I have ever heard.

I agree, FireRose.  The DVD Club Members are NOT the only loyal customers they have.  After all, I bought lots of videos from them -- and, even though I bought many of my DVD's elsewhere, they got money for them, too - so I consider myself to be a VERY loyal customer. [winkg]

By the way, I just realized that I spelled a word wrong in my last post.  [6184] The word, correctly spelled, is petition.  Sorry I missed that.

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2006, 01:33:45 PM »
I'm another one not happy about this news.

I have 22 volumes of the dvds and I was looking forward to getting the pre-Barnabas episodes on dvd. I didn't want to buy them on vhs since I had collected the Barnabas episodes on dvd, and also because of space reasons. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to be able to buy the rest of this show the same way I always have and not have to join a club to own them. Dvds shouldn't be exclusive - especially when they are part of a series that's already been released. They aren't "special", they're just more episodes of the show that should be available the same way the other dvd volumes were.

I don't know what I'll do about this. Since I don't have them on vhs, I obviously want them on dvd, but I don't believe I should have to join a club to get them.

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2006, 06:49:20 PM »
All this talk makes me think of the time when a DS fan had to network with other fans or trade eps through the back of the old fanzines, or hope their local station would pick up the LIMITED number of Worldvision eps, just so they could glimpse a few episodes of DS.  Times sure have changed, haven't they?

Petofi

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2006, 11:40:44 PM »
Indeed they have!  I remember buying (and watching!) Dream Curse episodes on Beta tape "on the black market" in the early '80s before I got to see 1795 on PBS!