Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0054  (Read 288 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0054
« on: February 22, 2022, 01:02:05 AM »
Robservations #54

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0054

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 12:05:06 AM »
Roger, in an exterior shot, walks across the dock to his office.  Roger calls Burke worried about Malloy. In the conversation a random reference to David’s gift from Burke. Roger feels it’s inappropriate due to David’s imagination.
Back at the mansion, Elizabeth asks Matthew how he could have pushed Bill out to sea. Matthew says he thinks Bill drowned and he did it to protect Collinwood.
    Burke bursts into Rogers office. Roger is evasive as usual. Dart’s get thrown during the conversation. Burke says Roger owes him five years.  Are we supposed to feel sorry for Burke? He was wronged, but he’s using Carolyn and David to get revenge. He reminds me of Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights in that respect.  Except there is no great love in his life. If that had been Elizabeth, who had chosen to go a safer route (or so she thought) to marry Paul over a younger and poorer Burke,  it would have added more dimension to the story.
     George, the new sheriff, comes to Collinwood.  He questions Matthew.  Elizabeth summons Roger home.
George wants to question him.

you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
    • Fan Made Lego Comics - Clay and Dona
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 04:31:52 PM »
I found Burke’s morality and quest for revenge interesting. 
He is using Carolyn and David, but he seems to draw the line even in the early episodes.
I wonder if that was done for a reason (like making it more dynamic) or just happened that way?
Barnabas: Your hair smells like mint today.
Julia: Yeah, I gargled today.
Barnabas: Huh???!!!!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 01:14:13 AM »
Good episode. Worthy opening voiceover. Everyone is responding to current events as one would expect. Liz is horrified and confused by Matthew's admissions. Roger is rattled by Burke's blunt accusation. He told him Malloy was about to serve him up on a silver platter. And the sheriff is going by the book.

I think it should matter to us that Burke is innocent of a crime he spent five years in prison for. At this point it's the only thing he's got going for him other than his sensitivity toward Vicki and David. I'd guess that Burke was purposely written this way to set up his redemption and make it easier for us to swallow his inclusion (of sorts) into the family via his eventual relationship with Vicki.

Everyone had their moments with the teleprompter but everyone did well enough not to make the blooper reel, though I would like to know where that penultimate dart landed.

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
    • Fan Made Lego Comics - Clay and Dona
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 12:44:36 AM »
That’s a great view on Burke’s morality dom. 
I wouldn’t be surprised if your guess is right.
Barnabas: Your hair smells like mint today.
Julia: Yeah, I gargled today.
Barnabas: Huh???!!!!