Author Topic: where the heck does quentin live?  (Read 1681 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
where the heck does quentin live?
« on: February 11, 2006, 07:03:32 PM »
i have been watching the 1970 leviathan episodes.

quentin's presence here continues to baffle me.there is just some very sloppy storytelling going on.

i realize that the character had become trememdously popular so they needed to work him into the storyline post-1897 but i don't think they gave him a compelling raison d' etre.when barnabas first arrived as a "lost cousin" they wrote him a plausable story about who he was and where he'd been and elizabeth offered him the old house as a place to live.

with quentin here they didn't really bother with any of that.they just plunked him down in the middle of this plot and had everyone accept him no questions asked.this doesn't make alot of sense.

so on to my question.unless i blinked and missed it i can't tell where this character is supposed to live.he strolls in and out of collinwood like he owns the place.he seems similarly at home at the old house.but i don't recall liz graciously offering him a room at collinwood.i haven't seen a bedroom set for the character yet.perhaps this gets resolved in a future episode but where the heck does quentin collins live? ???
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: where the heck does quentin live?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 10:06:16 PM »
with quentin here they didn't really bother with any of that.they just plunked him down in the middle of this plot and had everyone accept him no questions asked.

Well, I know I certainly accept him no questions asked.  [lghy]

.... but where the heck does quentin collins live? ???

Yeah - his living arrangements ARE rather murky.  At first he's living with the lovely Ms. Corey (in a separate room, mind you).  Then it's not really dealt with until Barn and Julia return from one of their time travel escapades.  THEN we know where he lives.

Big deal spoiler:
[spoiler]He lives at Collinwood in his old room.[/spoiler]
 :)
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 07:22:07 PM »
When Quentin lived outside of Collinwood:

[spoiler]He still thought he was Grant Douglas didn't he?  It's really murky what he had been doing since 1897, but I got the sense that he lived out of hotels and Bars most of the time.  :P Wasn't there a place in Portland he was last seen in?  The High Hat Lounge or something like that?  I guess it makes sense that he would move back to Collinwood once he knew who he was.[/spoiler]

Petofi

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 07:42:06 PM »
Big deal spoiler:

[spoiler]Uhhh.. I totally forgot about that! That seems so absolutely illogical to me, here's this guy, who claims to be the descendant of a ghost who haunted the house, possessed the kids and the governess, convinced them to try to commit murder MULTIPLE times then terrified the whole family into evacuating and almost killed David, Chris, Mrs. Stoddard and Professor Stokes, not to mention actually killing Ezra Braithwaite and Madame Findley...

Then they let him move INTO the room where the ghost was unsealed from?! In the abandoned West Wing? That just seems like playing with fire to me, and don't they think the kids would be a BIT unsettled by having Quentin around 24/7? I know it would have been a pain with sets and all, but the powers that be should have given him his own place OR a room at the Old House at least. Having the portrait kept Quentin's particular curse at bay, but I'm sure he still had plenty of things to hide.

So like, does Quentin use the secret passage way every time he wants to go to his room or does he walk all the way through the house to get to it?[/spoiler]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 07:57:50 PM »
i agree that quentin might have wanted to move back into collinwood once he remembered who he was but it wasn't really up to him.if elizabeth didn't invite him to stay there it was out of his hands.so it was the sloppiness and inconsistency of the writing here that annoyed me.it was like they felt that they didn't have to bother with normal storytelling techniques.

things in general get almost incestuous towards the end of this plotline with virtually all of the characters living on the collinwood estate.jeb(and bruno?)living at the carriage house.chris(remember him?)still apparently at the caretaker's cottage.megan moves in to the main house(how weird was that?).

and it seemed like most of the people who actually lived at collinwood(liz,roger,david,maggie,mrs.johnson)were convieniently absent much of the time so that characters like quentin,bruno and jeb could come and go at will.
i don't lke it when the house just becomes this generic backdrop from all of this and not a specific person/family's house. :P

p.s. why are there so many spoilers on this topic?the subject is really just where did a specific character live.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 08:46:05 PM »
it was the sloppiness and inconsistency of the writing here that annoyed me.it was like they felt that they didn't have to bother with normal storytelling techniques.

And there you've perfectly summed up a big problem with the latter portion of Leviathans. Too many things are thrown in without any foundation or explanation. And believe me, Quentin's apparently easy acceptance by the family is but a minor point compared to what comes up afterwards.

jeb(and bruno?)living at the carriage house.chris(remember him?)still apparently at the caretaker's cottage.megan moves in to the main house(how weird was that?). ... i don't lke it when the house just becomes this generic backdrop from all of this and not a specific person/family's house.

That will change. The Collinses will reclaim Collinwood in future storylines and the non-Collinses will have their own living spaces. However, I think it does make sense for so many outsiders to be living on the Collinwood estate because Collinwood is the intended power base for the Leviathans to reclaim their place in the world. And as for Chris, the point of him moving into the cottage was so he could be close to Amy (and some might even say Carolyn wanted him closer to her), so that also makes sense.

p.s. why are there so many spoilers on this topic?the subject is really just where did a specific character live.

True. But honestly I'd much rather see people err on the side of caution than to reveal too much (especially when the latter requires Midnite or I to edit a post to put the spoiler tags in ourselves  ;)). So, a big to the people who've included the spoiler tags in their posts.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 09:38:25 PM »
i don't know why i'm obsessing over this today(perhaps snowed in and bored). ::)

i agree with what arashi said.it would have been a pain to build a new set for this character but it should have been done.
especially when they took the time to build very nice,detailed sets here for the antique shop,the rumson house and the carriage house.

mysterious,i'm ashamed to admit that i don't know how to "self spoiler".when a post of mine has been spoilered in the past it was done later by one of the mods.i'll have to take a look at the 'testing 1-2-3' section and give it a try.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 05:29:21 PM »
Big deal spoiler:

[spoiler]Uhhh.. I totally forgot about that! That seems so absolutely illogical to me, here's this guy, who claims to be the descendant of a ghost who haunted the house, possessed the kids and the governess, convinced them to try to commit murder MULTIPLE times then terrified the whole family into evacuating and almost killed David, Chris, Mrs. Stoddard and Professor Stokes, not to mention actually killing Ezra Braithwaite and Madame Findley...

Then they let him move INTO the room where the ghost was unsealed from?! In the abandoned West Wing? That just seems like playing with fire to me, and don't they think the kids would be a BIT unsettled by having Quentin around 24/7? I know it would have been a pain with sets and all, but the powers that be should have given him his own place OR a room at the Old House at least. Having the portrait kept Quentin's particular curse at bay, but I'm sure he still had plenty of things to hide.

So like, does Quentin use the secret passage way every time he wants to go to his room or does he walk all the way through the house to get to it?[/spoiler]

Well, [spoiler]We do actually see the kids frightened by Quentin.[/spoiler] As for access, I think it was implied that Quentin both in 1897 and 1969 had his own entrance and stairway, probably around the side of the house. Let's be on the level, although we joke about the bathrooms, somewhere in the house, there really would have been toilets and showers, so we never really see everything. I would think Quentin would have been relaxed to be back home. The real unanswered question, exceot in fan fiction I'm sure, is where he spent the last 70 years, when did he get amnesia, what did he think about himself not aging, and how did he support himself if he had amnesia? 
     Well, the Collins did love family above all else. Then again, Julia and/or Barnabas could practically talk the family into anything. One wonders how much "Sawyer" blood is mixed in with the Collins. It didn't hurt that Elizabeth knew of a great Uncle Quentin as well as those resemblances, "The Collinssss blood always had a certain ...perssssssisstence." One has to wonder if Elizabeth like more people around to help her with the housework. [greed]

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 05:41:07 PM »
One wonders how much "Sawyer" blood is mixed in with the Collins.

Sawyer blood?   [scratch]

Is that why Sawyer on Lost  reminds me so much of the early Quentin?  ;)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 09:22:59 PM »
  The real unanswered question, exceot in fan fiction I'm sure, is where he spent the last 70 years, when did he get amnesia, what did he think about himself not aging, and how did he support himself if he had amnesia? 

I thought that Quentin's amnesia stemmed from [spoiler]getting run down by Barnabas.  I thought that he was only using "Grant Douglas" as a deliberate alias.  He had Olivia Corey's photo in his possession, and he came back to Collinsport to find her, so he was aware of his past at least until the accident.[/spoiler]

ProfStokes

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 10:26:49 PM »

I thought that Quentin's amnesia stemmed from [spoiler]getting run down by Barnabas.  I thought that he was only using "Grant Douglas" as a deliberate alias.  He had Olivia Corey's photo in his possession, and he came back to Collinsport to find her, so he was aware of his past at least until the accident.[/spoiler]

ProfStokes
More fun for people who read spoilers [spoiler]I don't remember it as being that clear, you may be right however, Professor. What I remember is that it was padded out for weeks without his remembering who he was, so we could have that famous dramatic moment of the portrait unveiling, gone full-on Dorian Grey. Does anyone else have a better memory than me of what Quentin said about his amnesia? Still, one has to wonder how he funded his life. He wasn't one of the best recipients of the will, then again, a man who can't die normally can take some serious risks for the spoils or rewards.[/spoiler]  Michael [/b]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 12:19:11 AM »
Michael,

[spoiler]What I remember is that the "Frederick Thorne" alias was used by Q in the 1940s and 1950s.  I presume that Grant Richards was an alias used by him in the 1960s.  When Liz queried his use of that name, he told her he was a writer, and everyone knows writers use pen names.  I can't recall whether they had anything more in the scripts about Q being a writer.

Honestly, if Amanda had become a big name star on B'way under her "Olivia Corey" alias, and Q bothered to look at papers and television even casually, it does strain credulity that he somehow never saw an image of her.  Ah well, DS is about having fun, not worrying about things making sense, or at least that's how I look at it.[/spoiler]

G.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 12:35:57 AM »
Oh dear...I remember things differently.
I remember Quentin's amnesia as not being caused by Barnabas' dubious driving skills, but by Barnabas threatening him and hypnotizing him to remember nothing.
I also thought Quentin explained the Grant Douglas name to Carolyn - don't remember him telling Liz!

Steve My Beloved,
I somehow got the impression that Frederick Thorne was not an alias he used.  It seemed when the name came out during hypnosis, he acted scared - as if this Thorne person was a threat.  I thought maybe it was really Petofi.  (And the writers just never went anywhere with it)

[idontknow]

xxoo
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 05:53:55 AM »
All this talk REALLY  makes me want to catch up on the DVDs.

[spoiler]My interpretation was that Quentin knew who he was up until the point Barnabas visited him in the hospital after hitting him with the car. To me there just seemed to be a look of recognition on Quentin's face when he woke up and saw Barnabas (for the first time in 70 odd years), then cut away and come back and he's suddenly like Nope! I have NO idea who I am.

Also in the episode Barnabas hits him, or the day before a mysterious stranger walks into Collinwood and checks out Barnabas' portrait in the foyer. I only saw the episode once, like 5 years ago, but I'm pretty sure they were insinuating it was Grant/Quentin.

As for the kids being scared of Quentin, David was at first but then seemed to accept that this Quentin and the ghost weren't the same, then used Amy's fear as a weapon to tease her with. I love, love, LOVED the fact that Amy was much more on the ball about the situation and wished the writers had thrown it in a little bit more. I have to cackle and rub my hands with fiendish glee in the episode where she turns on the gramaphone while Roger, Barn, Julia and Quentin are all in the drawing room conversing. It bothered me a bit that Roger didn't react to the music as the others did until I just remembered he never heard it (to my knowledge) he was on a business trip for most of David's possession and evacuated the house shortly after arriving home. Loved the looks on everyone else's face though.[/spoiler]

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 01:34:00 AM »
[spoiler]Quentins ghost being remembered shouldn't have happened anyway.  If there was no death of Quentin in the altered timeline, then no one should have remembered his ghost as it never existed.  IMHO the Leviathans caused people to remember him as a ghost to distract them.

When Gerard and Daphne are haunting Collinwood in the summer of 1970, Quentin's ghost seems to have been completely forgotten by everyone.[/spoiler]