Author Topic: Camera Revelations  (Read 2659 times)

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
Camera Revelations
« on: January 24, 2006, 09:28:39 PM »
I was just cruising through ep #621 to find a shot for another topic, when I came across this little gem.  I hadn't noticed this before.  You'll note the two lighting instruments in the upper left area of the screen capture, as well as the outline of the "turf" around the prone Barnabas!  JF almost looks as if he realizes the camera pulled back too far, doesen't he?  ;D   Anyone else have any fond recollections of other camera "revelations" of this kind?

[spoiler]This is from #621, in which Barnabas is wandering around the woods after having been attacked by Angelique.  Julia and Willie search for him as Nicholas decides to try and destroy Angelique for disobeying his order to leave Barnabas alone.[/spoiler]

Petofi [wave] .... and his ever lovin' hand!

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: Camera Revelations
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 11:32:24 PM »
Whoops! I see a stage light in the background there as well. I wonder why that scene's not on the Bloopers tape.

Thanks for the pic, got a genuine chuckle out of me.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 11:36:10 AM »
I just see formless whatevers.  I feel deprived.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 05:49:07 PM »
I just see formless whatevers.  I feel deprived.

It's alright MagnusTrask, in fact, the set decorator had installed formless whatevers as lighting instuments (they glow when excited by . . .don't ask).  That's what threw the camera crew!

Petofi

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 03:39:46 AM »
There was one scene - I have no idea which episode - where the camera was in the drawing room of Collinwood, and someone walked in the front door.  The camera turned to point at the front door, but then they panned it back a bit too far and you could clearly see the tops of all the walls.  No ceiling!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 08:10:28 AM »
[spoiler]The ONE blooper I remember from childhood was when Collinwood was being destroyed in 1970, and we actually see in plain view a canvas thing by the ceiling, holding debris that was to be dropped on everybody's heads.   I thought I must be hallucinating.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 05:49:34 PM »
There was one blooper I can remember...It's not a camera one, but it's too hilarious not to mention. I don't remember where in the series it was...but they were doing the credits on a room, and in the background, Thayer David walks in...then he just walks back out. XD

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 05:58:17 PM »
There was one blooper I can remember...It's not a camera one, but it's too hilarious not to mention. I don't remember where in the series it was...but they were doing the credits on a room, and in the background, Thayer David walks in...then he just walks back out. XD

Similar to Frid walking through the foyer carrying his shoes at the end of if not the *first* ep of 1897, one of the very first.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 04:01:44 PM »

I remember that one as well, it was somewhere in the Adam storyline.  I think - don't quote me on that  ;D  At the end of another episdode the credits were rolling while the camera was on a glass cabinet, and you could see the reflection of one of the actors walking towards it.  And then there was the time the credits were rolling and one of the names was falling off.  As if there was actually a clear piece of plastic rolling in front of the camera with the names on it, and the tape holding one of the names had let loose.  And then there was the time Willie (I think) was in the basement of the old house, and some stage hand or somebody walked right into the scene.

Another favorite, not really a blooper but it was pretty funny, was when the camera was on the foyer at Collinwood, and one of the candles fell out of its holder and when thump! on the table and I think rolled onto the floor.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 05:40:02 PM »
And then there was the time the credits were rolling and one of the names was falling off.  As if there was actually a clear piece of plastic rolling in front of the camera with the names on it, and the tape holding one of the names had let loose.  And then there was the time Willie (I think) was in the basement of the old house, and some stage hand or somebody walked right into the scene.

Another favorite, not really a blooper but it was pretty funny, was when the camera was on the foyer at Collinwood, and one of the candles fell out of its holder and when thump! on the table and I think rolled onto the floor.

I remember those names falling off!  LOL!  Love the scene w/Willie in the basement.  I've often wondered if the chuckle and the line "Gives me the willies, that's funny!" was an ad-lib on Johnny Karlen's part.   ;D

There was another falling candle, or piece of one, in a scene w/Barnabas and Dr. Woodard at the Old House--Barnabas was wearing that GOD AWFUL Liberace-esque dressing gown (even my gay friends in fandom think it's hideous, LOL!)-Barnabas is sitting in his chair and denying Woodard's accusations etc...and you hear, but don't really SEE, a candle hit the table to Jon's right, I think it even throws him off his game a little.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 09:27:34 PM »
At the end of the seance scene which transports Vicki back to 1795, when everyone realizes she is gone and replaced by Phyllis Wicks, the camera pans back in a very wide angle, showing the entire drawing room in a very dramatic way, heightening how the frightened characters around the table feel so overwhelmed, and then.............it pans back just an oonch too much and the microphone boom is clearly present overhead.  What should've been one of the best, intense moments went kaphooey.

Gerard

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 09:51:47 PM »
One of my favorite "camera revelations" was at one point during the Leviathan story, when someone, Barnabas or Elizabeth I think, is having this psychedelic dream. This is the dream where David does part of the "skinny and fatty had a race" poem, and they try to do this kaleidoscopic business and at one point you see some object, probaly a camera appartus with the ABC logo. Cracked me up.  [flower]

It reminds me as well of a rather odd thing that wasn't on screen, but the first time I went to Lyndhurst, which was on a DS sponsored trio in 1996, I saw an umbrella with that same vintage ABC logo in the stairwell. I assume its probaly some fan's little icon, but , well it seemed almost like a "ghost umbrella" at the time.  [ghosty]

Michael   [ghost]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 10:10:34 PM »
Not really a 'camera revelation', but one of my fave bloopers where a camera does a quick move is in the scene where Carolyn is baiting Liz on the landing about her impending nuptuals to Jason.  She says that she too has found love and goes to lay one on Buzz.  Liz gets upset and tries to escape the scene by going through the door, but the door won't open and we see Joan Bennet pounding on, then KICKING, the door and whoever the director was that day must have said, "Close in on Nancy and Michael, quick!" 'cause the camera zooms to show them in close-up and gets Joan out of the shot!  CRACKS me up every time I see it.   [stfl]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 11:38:30 PM »
JF almost looks as if he realizes the camera pulled back too far, doesen't he?  ;D   

Yes!  He does.  Great capture of Barn on the "rug"!

I saw a little thing a few weeks ago in 1897 that I kinda like.  It's no big deal, but I THINK it's when Julia has just arrived and she's in the drawing room with Edward.  The door is opened at such an angle that through the crack in the door, you can see Quentin come in and stop there waiting for his cue to enter.  He puts his hand up to his face for a second, slight pause, then walks in.

Like I said.....no big thing, but I'M rather fond of it.
  ;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline jeffreywj777

• Junior Poster
  • A Story of Blood Relations.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 02:00:11 AM »
As far as I know this never happened, but can you imagine the pandimonium if one of the actors had dropped Josette's Music Box during a scene? Even to this day when I see a scene with someone holding it I think to myself " I hope they have a good grip on that thing".
Jeffrey