Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #146/"highly recommended..make hotel reservations immediately"  (Read 3086 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
ShadowGram Online Dark Shadows News Updates List
Marcy Robin's Cyberspace "Dark Shadows" News Update List
An Internet Publication of SHADOWGRAM
< ShadowGram@aol.com >

Number 146.   January 22, 2006.
Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), announces the following breaking news.

**** DARK SHADOWS 40th ANNIVERSARY WEEKEND

To commemorate 4 decades of DS, the DS Festival is presenting the show's official celebration August 25-27, 2006, at the newly-remodeled New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge. Over a dozen of the original DS actors will participate in this extra-special occasion, featuring dramatic performances by the stars, autograph sessions, new DS memorabilia, banquet dinner, and many surprises. Membership rates and specific guests and activities still are being planned.

This SG Online Updates List and the upcoming SG #107 print issue will announce confirmed details when they are set. A Fest postal mailing should be sent soon, at which time fans can also receive updates via the website www.darkshadowsfestival.com. Persons who send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the Festival address will receive earliest notification. Send your SASE to Dark Shadows Festival, P.O. Box 92, Maplewood, NJ 07040.

It is highly recommended that all fans who plan to attend the 40th Anniversary event make hotel reservations immediately before the hotel sells out of rooms, as is usually the case with the DS conventions. Please note: The cut-off date for this room block is July 31. If rooms are needed after this date, they will be handled on a `first come, first served' basis, based upon the hotel's availability. So please make your reservations before the date indicated above.

You can receive the special, reduced DS sleeping room rate of  $153 + tax per night  (single-double occupancy) by making reservations online or by phone. The hotel provides the following information.

Online: Go to their website - www.brooklynmarriott.com  - and follow these instructions:
- On the opening Home Page you will see an information box titled; Check Rates & Availability.
- Enter arrival/departure information, and number of occupants staying in the room.
- Just below you'll see a section for; Optional Information.
- There is where you can enter your Marriott Rewards Number¢â‚¬¦and if you do not have one, please let them know so they can sign you up to start earning points or miles for every dollar that you spend with Marriott.
- Just below that is an area for your Group Code. Please enter the following 7-character code: DARDARA
- Then follow all other prompts and instructions.

By phone: You may call the Brooklyn Marriott directly on the phone to make reservations at toll-free number (888)-436-3759. Ask to be connected with the reservations department.
- Have a credit card and Marriott Rewards Number in hand¢â‚¬¦ and if you do not have one, let Marriott know so they can sign you up to start earning points or miles for every dollar that you spend with Marriott.
- Let the reservations person assisting you know that you would like to make a reservation for a group block, and give them the following information:
- Arrival/Departure information.
- Group Name: DARK SHADOWS
- Then answer all other questions pertaining to personal information.

Transportation: The Brooklyn Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge is just a couple of minutes from lower Manhattan and is easily reached via subway, buses, taxis, car services, and rental cars. A parking garage is adjacent and the hotel is accessible from JFK and LaGuardia Airports.

All fans joining us at the coming Fest are invited and encouraged to please share their photos and reports with SG.

The Dark Shadows 40th Anniversary promises to be one of the biggest and best-ever DS conventions, so don't miss out!

**** DONNA McKECHNIE IN ONE-NIGHT-ONLY EVENT

Donna (Amanda Harris, aka Olivia Corey) is scheduled to perform in the "The Public Sings: A 50th Anniversary Celebration," on Mon., Jan. 30 at 7:30 pm at The Public Theater City Center Main Stage in Manhattan.

Event publicity: Saluting "the rich history of musicals," the event benefits NYC's Public Theater. "Legendary Public Theater artists" appear in "original musical interpretations of shows that engaged the social and political issues of their times." Featured shows include "A Chorus Line," for which Donna received the 1976 Best Actress in a Musical Tony Award for originating the role of "Cassie."

Ticket prices start at $20 and are available by calling CityTix® at 212-581-1212 or 1-877-581-1212 (outside metropolitan NYC, NJ, & CT); or through the City Center Box Office, on West 55th Street between 6th & 7th Avenues. http://www.nycitycenter.org/events/event_detail.cfm?event_code=PUB06

Fans attending this event are invited and encouraged to share their reports, program book, photos, and media coverage with SG so other fans can enjoy it through your experience. Please send all information to SG's e-mail or postal-mail addresses below.

**** KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT APPEARS ON "HUFF" THIS SPRING

Kathryn (Maggie, Josette, Kitty, Rachel) asks SG to share her news that she guests on the season finale of the Showtime series "Huff." The episode should air later this spring. Her character "Swanson" is "a senior partner in Oliver Platt's law firm."

**** JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT STARS IN NEW MOVIE "BRICK"

Joe (1991 DS' David, Daniel) stars in "Brick," playing a teen outcast who plunges into the dark secrets of the high school crowd to find the killer of his ex-girlfriend. Recent SG print issues featured Joe's news and input about this role and his other current film projects; contact SG for information about those available issues.

"Brick" is released Mar. 24 through Focus Features, the distribution company that released "Brokeback Mountain" and "Pride & Prejudice," among others. Please send SG all publicity, reviews, and articles about the movie that you may find. SG addresses are later in this message.

Recent SG print issues also highlighted Joe's starring role in "Mysterious Skin," a widely-acclaimed exploration of the lasting effect of pedophilia on 2 young boys. The director, Gregg Araki, is nominated for the Film Independent's Independent Spirit Awards. The ceremony is March 4 (the day before the Academy Awards ceremony).

**** "NIGHT STALKER" TO RUN ON SCI FI CHANNEL

Dan Curtis (DS Creator/Producer/Director) was Consulting Producer for the new series based on his 1972 TV film of the same name and its 1973 sequel "The Night Strangler." He was not involved in the 1974-75 spin-off series. The new ABC program debuted Sept. 29 but was dropped abruptly by the network in November after the first half of a 2-part episode.

Sci Fi Channel plans to air all 10 episodes of the revival series, including the 2-parter and all unaired episodes, sometime this summer.

**** "OUR FATHERS" RELEASE ON DVD THIS TUESDAY

Dan's Showtime film OUR FATHERS comes out on Showtime DVD on Jan. 24. The fact-based drama debuted last May and earned several Emmy Award
nominations. He produced and directed the film about the Catholic Church's sexual child abuse scandal in the Boston diocese. Please share with SG any articles, reviews, or publicity materials you may
find.

**** DS ACTION FIGURES RELEASE DUE IN FEBRUARY

SG print issues and this SG News Updates List have reported and updated developments for the 2 new 12" action figures of Barnabas and Quentin. SG issues published premiere and advance pictures of the figures and detailed their accessories and features. They are being produced and marketed by Majestic Studios.

Majestic Studios' executive Bon Langer says: "We are looking at the first week of February to begin shipping the figures. It's taken a while but they are now going to market." Fans should "start checking their comic book and collectibles stores around the second week of February. If a store is not near them, they can go to www.monstersinmotion.com. There are other internet mail-order toy companies that will have them during the initial release, but that company has agreed to keep them in stock continuously after the initial release. A company like that the fans should support."

Bob provided SG #105 (published September 2005) with publicity materials. "`Barnabas Collins, Vampire' collectible figures each include 3 interchangeable heads, 2 sets of hands, and a wolf's head cane accessory. The heads show his regular, vampire, and old man likenesses. You can choose the Barnabas figure with his modern day, or his 1795 era, formal dress suit and cape. The dark, brooding `Quentin Collins, From Ghost to Werewolf' figure includes 2 sets of hands and 2 heads, one regular likeness with his trademark muttonchop sideburns and the second as a ferociously wild werewolf."

Barnabas Present Day - Catalog #2615787. Barnabas 1795 Era - Catalog #2615788. Quentin - Catalog #2615789. "Each (is in a) window box with
front cover flap packaging" measuring approx. 15½" x 9+" x 3½." Suggested retail price of each: $39.95.

Bob adds that publicity for the figures should start appearing in late January-early February. This coverage may be specific or general, brief or extended, local or more widespread. Mentions may be found in print, online, or on-air media. Fans are invited and encouraged to please share all such references with SG's international readership. Please send the complete item via e-mail or postal-mail (use addresses below), indicating the source, date, and your name. Those sharing information will be named as Contributors in the upcoming SG #107 print issue. More details about SG follow later
in this message.

Thank you.
Marcy Robin
ShadowGram Editor / Publisher

Marcy Robin, P.O. Box 1766, Temple City, CA 91780-7766
E-mail: ShadowGram@aol.com

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Hi Midnite thanks for the info ..  Will do that soon!
       Will you be there this yr ??  Hope so  would love to meet you.
                                       Take Care Love Anne
:-*
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Hope you can make it, Annie.  :D

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
Hey Midnite, thanks so much for posting this as text rather than just a link, as I can't access the oroginal site at work. I want to say, that as much as I love monkeys, I got the reservation monkey off my back early and already received my confirmation email back from the Brooklyn Marriott. We plan on arriving on Thursday to enjoy a full day in NYC prior to the show. I hope to see everyone there. I hope this years isn't too much chaos.
Michael
 [a_monkey] - Dohhhh!
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
You are definitely right about making your reservations early this year Midnite!  This will be the third festival for me (if all goes as planned) - though it's about the fifth time I made reservations for one due to a couple of cancellations  :'(.  Though I had been watching like a hawk earlier last month, I missed seeing the announcement that it was time to make our reservations until the other day.  But, once I did I jumped on it and called Marriott - group code in hand.  I was able to make the reservation, but was really surprised (and a bit irritated to be honest) when they couldn't or wouldn't confirm/guarantee a room with two doubles instead of one king.  I've never had a problem like this - especially when booking so far ahead.  Has anyone else had the same problem or have any insight on the reason why they're doing this - or what might be done about it? 
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
but was really surprised (and a bit irritated to be honest) when they couldn't or wouldn't confirm/guarantee a room with two doubles instead of one king.  I've never had a problem like this - especially when booking so far ahead.  Has anyone else had the same problem

I didn't have that problem, but I was a bit miffed that they supposedly don't even offer non-smoking rooms. I've never had a hotel tell me that - particularly a Marriott.  ::)

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Both of your comments don't concur with my experience two weeks ago. The person who booked me asked if I wanted a king bed or two doubles, as well as asking smoking or non-smoking. If fact, he was so accomodating that when Diane asked if we could get an upper floor (for the view) he said he would notate that. The only thing he did ask out of the ordinary was , "We also offer Marriott Rewards customers a discount on Hertz, may I make  a reservation for you?" To which I replied no, you still offer parking right? They did, and rates were like around $13 a day more or less. I remember Sunday through Thurdays was about $2 more per day than Friday and Sat.

Michael  ::)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
No non-smoking? That is weird.  ???  Come to think of it, I don't remember any mention of that myself when I made the reservation.  Well, that's another thing to add to list to bug them about.  I originally tried to book online but kept getting the annoying message saying there were no doubles so I ended up calling.  The online reservation process mentioned a choice between smoking and non.

It almost seems like they're giving us the shaft.  I wonder if there will be an optional hotel for overflow...I may consider going there for once.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The person who booked me asked if I wanted a king bed or two doubles, as well as asking smoking or non-smoking. If fact, he was so accomodating that when Diane asked if we could get an upper floor (for the view) he said he would notate that.

You don't happen to have the guy's name do you?  I'll call back and ask for him.  The one thing I remember well from past reservation experiences is that the story can vary quite a bit from person to person.  I can be fairly tenacious - especially when it comes to money - so I fully intend to dog this situation right in to August if I have to.  >:D

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The person who booked me asked if I wanted a king bed or two doubles, as well as asking smoking or non-smoking.

Well, that's interesting because even my confirmation e-mail says:

Non-Smoking Room, Not Offered at this location

[hdscrt]

Perhaps I'll call back and ask how you got non-smoking when I was told such rooms aren't offered...

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Okay MB - let's get our pitchforks and storm the place! 

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
I've not heard anything about Marriott going this direction (yet), but the Westin chain announced last month that their hotels were going completely smoke-free because such a small percentage of customers actually requested smoking rooms. Disneyland announced a smoking ban in their hotels just this week. Some of the other chains have individual hotels that are completely smoke-free even though it's not yet a policy across the entire chain.

If the Brooklyn Marriott has been recently remodeled as the SG blurb indicates, then it's conceivable that they've made the entire hotel smoke-free and therefore the smoking/non-smoking designation isn't valid, which could explain the email MB got, but I'm just speculating here.  :-

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
...storm the place.

Figuratively speaking of course.   ;)

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I just reviewed my email confirmation, and it says: "Deluxe Room, You have requested, 1 King bed, Guaranteed, Non-Smoking Room, Guaranteed" further down it notes Dark Shadows in the "Rate Information area." I did call the hotel at the phone number listed, the evening of 1/27. The gentleman I spoke to, which I wrote down at home, I want to say was "Julio". Good luck to anyone who needs to call back.

Michael

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I called Marriott and the person I spoke with this time had no idea why I was initially told non-smoking rooms aren't offered at the Brooklyn Marriott.  ::)  However, my reservation has now been amended and I just received an e-mail that, like Cyrus', says:

Non-Smoking Room, Guaranteed

Thank you, CastleBee and Cyrus for your posts because otherwise I probably would have never questioned the situation beyond what the original person I spoke to had insisted. Apparently Marriott needs to train their personnel a whole lot better than they do.  >:(  And one also has to wonder how the hell e-mails can be sent out indicating that non-smoking rooms aren't available in hotels where they clearly are. ::)

CastleBee, I also asked about bed selections and supposedly neither the preference of one king or two double beds is completely guaranteed. I was told the preference of beds is only granted upon check-in, as this preference is currently on a first come, first served basis. If your stated preference is no longer available upon check-in, you have no choice but to take the alternate. But considering what I was originally told about non-smoking rooms, take from that what you will.  :-