Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #146/"highly recommended..make hotel reservations immediately"  (Read 3095 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot for checking on that MB - they seemed to be saying something along those lines but it actually makes sense now.  [/size]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
>:(  And one also has to wonder how the hell e-mails can be sent out indicating that non-smoking rooms aren't available in hotels where they clearly are. ::)

Isn't New York a Non-Smoking in public places state like California and Florida?

LdyAnne

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
I too was totally baffled as to why I was getting an email confirmation from the Marriott telling me that my requests re non smoking room and two double beds may not be available when they clearly were according to the site when I was making the reservation.

I seem to remember this happening last year and it wound up I got exactly what I wanted anyway.

Nancy

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Been playing catch up with the old topics and hit this one.  Hard to say if the confusion is Marriott in general or this hotel specifically.  Our group, too was told that the double beds could not be guaranteed for Hollywood; however when we got there we didn't have any problem getting a room with them.

On the other hand, this hotel messed up my reservation royally in 2003, which was my first fest.  Never sent me the confirmation email they promised, then, when I called back to follow up, sent it but the reservation was cut short one night.  (FYI this was NOT thru the general Marriott reservation #, but booked with the hotel directly.) Of course at that point they had no more rooms at con rate.  Fortunately I was able to connect with someone who had crash space for the night I needed, but the point is it shouldn't have happened in the first place.  I'd really advise everyone go over their confirmations with a fine tooth comb and make sure it's exactly what you asked for.  The problem mentioned with getting different answers depending on who answers the phone is the experience  I had in '03, so I would also document EVERYTHING you are told over the phone with date, time and name.  Considering they are positioning this hotel to be a business center, they seem extraordinarily sloppy and unprofessional in handling reservations. (Please know that I'm not being gratuitously nasty in saying this.  I've been attending various types of SF and Media conventions in most of the major hotel chains since the 70's so my opinion is based on a comparison of services of hotels in the same category.)

Oh as to the oddness with the smoking/non smoking thing:  NYC has very tough no smoking laws.  I would believe that the whole hotel would be required to be non smoking.  All restaurants are, and now that's being extended to bars too.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'd really advise everyone go over their confirmations with a fine tooth comb and make sure it's exactly what you asked for. 
I could never get them to give me a confirmation on the double vs king beds issue so I finally decided to thumb my nose at Marriott, drop a bit of extra cash and stay in Midtown - where they were more than willing to confirm 2 beds.  Not compromising on the bed situation really boiled down to a matter of safety because if my sister and I had been forced to share a bed there might well have been injuries involved (based on childhood experience when spending the night at our grandparents). Kidding but, not much.  ^-^

Oh as to the oddness with the smoking/non smoking thing:  NYC has very tough no smoking laws.  I would believe that the whole hotel would be required to be non smoking.

I'm glad to hear that - you'd think the guy on the phone might have thought to mention that when I was questioning it. Doh! 

All restaurants are, and now that's being extended to bars too.
LOL!  That reminds me of one of Eddie Izzard's routines where he says (something to the effect) that pretty soon you wouldn't even be able to drink in bars, just go there and sit.  I just love his take on things.   ;D

“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
I must have hit the lottery when it comes to making my reservations with the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge.

I got exactly what I wanted, with no problem.  They ASKED me if I wanted 2 double beds or one king.

And just to be sure, with so many of you complaining about things, I just called the hotel and gave them my confirmation number, and they read back to me exactly what I had asked for and they confirmed.

I have no idea why the rest of you seem to be having so much trouble.  [idontknow]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I have no idea why the rest of you seem to be having so much trouble.  [idontknow]
I know Raineypark - it IS weird.  I've never had a problem like this with any hotel in the past.  I don't know when you called for reservations, but all I can think is that maybe I was a day or so too late to get what I wanted.  They insisted they couldn't promise me anything.

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
I must have hit the lottery when it comes to making my reservations with the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge.

I got exactly what I wanted, with no problem.  They ASKED me if I wanted 2 double beds or one king.

And just to be sure, with so many of you complaining about things, I just called the hotel and gave them my confirmation number, and they read back to me exactly what I had asked for and they confirmed.

Well Marriott just likes you better than the rest of us plain and simple   >:D   (Kidding)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Well Marriott just likes you better than the rest of us plain and simple   >:D   (Kidding)

So it would seem.....!! [lghy]

But I'm not much of a traveler and the last time I stayed in a Marriott would have been in Tarrytown, if that was, in fact, a Marriott....I honestly don't remember.  So it isn't because I'm a valued repeat customer, that's for sure!!  ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
 Sounds like you lucked out and got maybe the only employee there who knows what they are doing!  ;)

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics