Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0021  (Read 450 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0021
« on: April 06, 2020, 07:44:00 PM »
Robservations #21

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0021

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 04:26:47 AM »
The opening is a live shot of the sea. Vickie and Carolyn rehash the details of the accident and Vickie believes Burke is innocent. A special delivery letter from the Home arrives telling Vickie Strake was making inquiries. Bill is simultaneously questions Burke about Strake making inquiries around town. Burke reveals he’s interested in a cannery in Logansport. The kitchen/ breakfast room is always brightly lit. I guess to reflect the morning sun.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 10:32:30 PM »
A new day has dawned. As noted above, an ultra-rare opening live shot of the sea below Widows Hill (according to the voiceover). It must be high tide.

In the kitchen (which still excites me to see) Carolyn and Vicki discuss the creepy side of Roger's accident while deciding between cereal or toast for breakfast. (Please tell me that Carolyn is in her pajamas.) Vicki, fully dressed, has locked on to the murder aspect of it. I find that totally understandable - there's a murderer out there somewhere and he may try again. You can hear the fear in her voice. Carolyn scoffs but changes her tune when Vicki tells her all of what she witnessed the night before in the garage and Burke's hotel room. Not to mention the bleeder valve aspect of it. Carolyn breaks and assumes guilt as she was the one who brought Burke to the house. Then just when she convinces Carolyn that Burke is the obvious suspect Vicki finally admits that she believed Burke when he said he was innocent. This reignites hope in Carolyn that will continue throughout the episode much to Liz's chagrin.

Burke, settling in to his lukewarm hotel room breakfast, is interrupted by Bill Malloy's knock and barged entry. Malloy wants to talk, Burke wants to eat. Bill confronts Burke with just about everything he knows about his hellbent intentions to destroy the Collins clan and involvement with Roger's accident. Bill throws the name of Wilbur Strake in Burke's face. Burke first denies knowing Strake but eventually admits to hiring him. He smooth talks his way out of the seedier side of their relationship claiming the private eye wasn't specifically investigating the Collins family but trying to get a feel for the area for investment purposes. Burke even mentions a rival cannery that is currently for sale to bolster his claims. Malloy has to take Devlin's word for it but isn't fooled one bit.

Earlier, Vicki got a letter from the foundling home. She enters the drawing room and has Liz read it. It's about Wilbur Strake and his investigation into Vicki's connection to the Collins family. Carolyn reads the letter and finds it fascinating. Liz found it unsettling. Vicki jumps at the chance to confront Liz once more about why she in particular was hired. Liz, visibly perturbed, shuts down the conversation and exits. Carolyn offers little comfort.

Burke puts a call in to NY from his room. Moments later the phone rings, Burke takes a call from a person named Bronson. He asks Bronson to fly to Bangor ASAP and call him upon arrival. Burke, evil grin and all, is positioning himself to set his dastardly plan in motion. Had he a mustache I'm sure he'd be twisting one end of it in his fingers.

Vicki and Liz's tops were ill-fitting. Vicki's high-waisted skirt was VERY unflattering. Was Carolyn in PJs the entire episode or was that the silliest dress she's ever worn in the history of the show? If it's a dress it would be right up there with Maggie's quilt dress. Or was that a robe? I give up.
The cut glass windows I saw in yesterday's opening did not match the kitchen windows as I had guessed. I called it mosaic glass, lol.
Bill Malloy made it quite clear that he is the self proclaimed protector of the Collins family. I found this proclamation absolutely nauseating the first time around and it made me totally dislike the character. He gets more obnoxious about it as time goes on. I'm hoping to find it less annoying this time around.
Nancy's false eyelashes are literally unreal, but, absolutely gorgeous (and worthy of Joel Grey's MC character in Cabaret)!
I was a little surprised that when Liz went down the the list of possible suspects that Carolyn didn't bat an eye when David's name was spoken.
I skipped over one of my all-time favorite DS moments. It was when Liz was telling Carolyn to leave the estate until things with Burke blow over. She recounts the memory of the hard time Carolyn had in school as a young child and mentions that she was tormented by her classmates calling her mother a witch. Having the benefit of the next four years worth of supernatural goings-on, that line always struck me as being funny.