Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0022  (Read 491 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0022
« on: April 13, 2020, 07:40:00 PM »
Robservations #22

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0022

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 11:04:38 PM »
Maggie is at home chatting with Burke about his past trial etc.  Sam is at the diner with mute waitress Suzie.
Roger comes in and they chat about they are the ones who know what really happened ten years ago. Sam goes home and Burke reveals he wants his portrait painted to go over the Collins house mantel.  Roger and Kitten talk and she tries to get him to not charge Burke with murder. Burke tells Sam is staying. Some good information revealed in the chats. It’s all about Burke.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 11:19:36 PM »
An atypical shot of Collinwood awash in sun opens this episode, with a quick fade to the Evans cottage.

A knock on the cottage door reveals Burke Devlin. He's here to see Sam but gets a coffee-swigging Maggie instead. Maggie wastes no time pumping Burke for information. They teeter from drama to small talk throughout their conversation mostly regarding Maggie's over-obvious concern for her father. The mention of attempted murder regarding Roger's accident totally unnerves Maggie causing her to drop her (real) coffee cup. Eventually their conversation becomes a bit more relaxed. Burke's fond memories and sincerity toward Sam put Maggie (and us) at ease, at least for the moment.

Sam shows up and is none too pleased to see Burke sitting there. An off-the-cuff remark from Burke sends Sam into one of his typical overreactive (and annoying) rants (directed at Maggie) that practically reveals everything he's trying to conceal. Kind of reminds me of David's grilling tactics. Burke settles the dust by explaining the reason for his visit - to commission Sam to paint his portrait - a portrait he plans to place over the drawing room fireplace at Collinwood.

Earlier that morning, Sam ran into Roger at the diner. He invited himself to Roger's table much to Roger's overt displeasure. They discussed Roger's accident, the confrontation, and the fallout yet to come. Roger revealed he had hoped to drive Burke out of town with the threat of charges, prosecution and a return trip to prison. He told Sam that he never got the chance as Burke wouldn't cop to the crime. He explained that he then had no choice but to involve the authorities. Sam, upset, questioned Roger's judgement. Roger asked Sam if he had secretly hoped that Burke had a second chance at killing him. After all, he and Sam are the only two people who really know the true circumstances surrounding the accident that sent Burke to prison ten years ago. With one of them dead, the other would have nothing to worry about.

The drawing room phone rings and Carolyn picks up to find Joe (not the press?) on the other end. Her cheeriness lightens up this drama-laden episode. Properly raised Joe inquires first about her uncle's well-being, then tempts her with meeting in town for lunch. I guess last night's drama's been forgotten. Enter Roger. Kitten purrs until the phone rings again and the subject turns to Burke and the police. Kitten is nay, uncle is yea. If he were capable, I'd expect Roger to get a complex. Only Liz seems to be backing him up unconditionally. Roger and Carolyn have it out, both scoring major points, but with Roger "winning" in the end. I'd call it a truce. Neither have changed the other's mind. He convinces her to keep her lunch date with Joe. A smart move on his part. She would definitely f**k things up by interrupting Roger, Vicki and Constable Carter.

At the Evans cottage, Burke sits as Sam sketches. A cheerful Maggie is off to work. Burke offers her a ride. Burke says he'll call when he wants to get started. Sam asks how they'll find the time with Burke leaving Collinsport in a few days as planned. Burke confides that he's changed his plans, leaving Sam with furrowed brow.

Roger was rather cruel (or was it condescending) when he dismissed Carolyn's concerns by telling her to worry about dating boyfriends, not his (adult) problems. I did get a chuckle out of it though. I also enjoyed Roger talking to Sam about how one or the other being dead would be a relief to the other. Loved Edmonds' delivery. Anyone take that as a veiled threat? I didn't. I wonder if Sam did? I particularly enjoyed Louis' work in this episode.
I have to keep reminding myself that Roger has every reason to believe that Burke truly tried to kill him. It's weird knowing Burke is not guilty. I keep thinking about how I'd feel if I didn't know Burke wasn't guilty. I guess that happens in movies, not soap operas.