Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0016  (Read 870 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0016
« on: March 02, 2020, 11:40:45 PM »
Robservations #16

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0016

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 05:56:56 AM »
Roger only ends up with cuts and bruises. We don’t see him so it’s all left to the imagination.  Elizabeth isn’t so sure it’s an accident.  In the Blue Whale, Carolyn is all eyes on Burke. Joe is unhappy. Matthew is his usual surly self to Vickie and even Elizabeth as they query him about checking the brakes. He said it was two days ago in town at the garage. The clock in the Foyer strikes the time as Elizabeth looks at it. This is the first time I can remember this happening. Mostly a filler episode. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 04:34:20 PM »
The clock in the Foyer strikes the time as Elizabeth looks at it. This is the first time I can remember this happening.

I didn't realize that - good catch.  [snow_smiley]  It's certainly something that will happen many times over the course of the series.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 05:27:25 PM »
Personally, a lot of these earlier episodes seem like filler episodes to me. There's just not much going on in the story and the pacing is quite slow. It would be great if there were some sort of set that combined the best of the best early episodes, similar to have they have the "Haunting of Collinwood" and "Curse of the Vampire" collections.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 05:15:24 PM »
We are treated to an atypical opening shot of Collinwood.
Roger is slated to die...but not today. Roger survives the accident much to Liz's (and Vicki's) relief. We'll have to wait for David's reaction. He's asleep, or as Vicki puts it, "At least his eyes were closed when I went in." No doubt he will be severely disappointed when he wakes to the news that his father has survived to see another day.
Liz suspects Burke and a conversation with Matthew who is certain the brakes were tampered with, all but confirms her suspicions. Vicki on the other hand is not so sure. This gauls Liz and the ensuing conversation leads to Liz labelling Carolyn a child. This becomes quite apparent in the next scene at the Blue Whale.
Carolyn's behavior is atrocious. Her immaturity and naivety are on full display. Burke's behavior is somewhat puzzling. One moment he encourages Carolyn and Joe's relationship and the next he seems to be undermining it. Joe's behavior is totally understandable. He walks out on her after she goes too far. He should have at least insisted on bringing her home though.
During a brisk and abrasive bonding session Liz pressures Vicki into snitching on Carolyn. Liz is in a tizz over the fact that Carolyn is pursuing Burke. Then she is stunned into mortification when she learns that Carolyn has left the Blue Whale alone with Burke, the man she believes tried to kill her brother.

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Bennett and Moltke have some great scenes with great dialogue. Liz mentions a person living with years of hate and bitterness is capable of almost anything. This made me think of her and Paul. "Wait. It seems like I've been doing that all of my life." she tells Vicki. This conjures up so many scenarios in my head including the 18 years. I'm a little surprised that she might think Matthew could harm a family member but he admits it. And how about Liz's vignette about the house, stating bringing David to grow up there was probably the worst thing she could have ever done. "This is no place for young people. It's old and decaying and smells of death." Great stuff. Later Liz states that Carolyn, in her pursuit of Burke, "...is reaching out for something that she doesn't understand." I love that line.
Joe is a hoot (dancing aside, lol). More great/fun dialogue in the Blue Whale scenes. Love all of Joe's snide remarks regarding Burke and his thwarted movie date with Carolyn. I don't blame Joe one bit for walking out. Poor Joe.
Liz calls it the kitchen so I guess that's what it is. I would expect a very large kitchen in a 40 room house. I'm going with alwaysdavid's description of it as an eat-in kitchen.
Is this our first sighting of the Dark Shadows mascot, the Collinsport Fly?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 07:18:37 AM »
I'm glad the Watching Project is still going.    I used to love going over each episode with a spiral notebook, making notes for posts  here...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 12:59:19 AM »
I'm struggling with it. Using a cell phone it takes forever and I keep accidentally losing my drafts before I can post them. Very frustrating.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 01:40:00 AM »
 [pointing-up] I find that Chrome doesn't really ever lose things because they're usually retrievable. But that's on my PC. Using the fingers of one hand I can probably count how many times I've posted with my phone.

But that being said, try writing up your thoughts in a simple word processing program like Notepad and then copying/pasting them into the forum's posting window. I've done that quite often whenever I've known I was going to have a long post...

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 01:50:53 AM »
For some odd reason I can't paste.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 02:05:29 AM »
For some odd reason I can't paste.

On the forum people have to use the keyboard shortcut to paste: ctrl+v. I used it (and ctrl+c to copy) every day.  [hall2_smiley]

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 02:11:47 AM »
I should have known that. Thanks.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 02:22:20 AM »
If you've never had occasion to use it, then it's very easy not to realize it.  [hall2_wink]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 03:42:09 AM »
. Liz mentions a person living with years of hate and bitterness is capable of almost anything. This made me think of her and Paul. "Wait. It seems like I've been doing that all of my life." she tells Vicki. This conjures up so many scenarios in my head including the 18 years.

I really like this observation. I think it explains Elizabeth’s future actions regarding David which seem inexplicable.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times