Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0016  (Read 1802 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0016
« on: July 18, 2011, 07:00:22 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0016
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 10:15:21 PM »
Hard to comment, since 4 1/2 minutes in, on my disc it ends and jumps to the next episode.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 12:11:12 AM »
Does the Blue Whale have Ladies' Choice? Carolyn asks Burke to dance--how forward of her! She also tells him she'd admire a man who'd knock her over the head and drag her out of Collinwood.

FAREWELL, GEORGE MITCHELL!

HELLO AGAIN, COLLINSPORT FLY!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 12:30:01 AM »
They're changing Matthew Morgans already?!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 05:52:18 AM »
It was nice to see how, beneath all the scoldings that Elizabeth gives Roger, she loves him.  If he had been killed,  she'd have a freer hand with David, and she would probably like that, but she would be lonelier too.

And her statement that she'd die if anything happened to Carolyn rang true.  She's a strange woman, but she has a heart.

Carolyn is so young!  I think I remember that in one of the interviews on the DVDs Nancy Barrett mentioned that she auditioned for the role of Vicky.  Looking at her now, it's hard to believe.  How would she look with a dark wig?

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 01:20:23 PM »
Matthew doesn't appear again for a few weeks I think.  They probably did a long search for a replacement.

They're changing Matthew Morgans already?!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 02:52:42 PM »
Does the Blue Whale have Ladies' Choice? Carolyn asks Burke to dance--how forward of her! 

I would love to have seen Burke getting down on the dance floor in his three piece suit.
Joe's a pretty crummy dancer, but it may have been his mood.
Doesn't Burke just love causing pandemonium?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 03:01:05 PM »
It's pretty clear (to me anyway) that Elizabeth's prime directive has always been her love for Carolyn. She will do ANYTHING to protect her, even at a terrible cost to herself. I think Elizabeth also loves Roger, but if he was away at school they probably aren't all that close. But she's definitely in older sister mode!

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 01:03:37 AM »
I Believe it is Carolyn and then David, then the family. She certainly wants to protect the family reputation.

I still think that Liz, and many men that respect her and protect her. I wonder how disarming, she would be in a business deal?

Roger thinks about Roger first, above anyone else.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 03:06:01 AM »
Now there is a wallphone in the kitchen, thats three downstairs phones and none upstairs.  Ma Bell used to charge extra for each phone so perhaps Elizabeth decided it was too costly and they must have a private line because you never hear them asking anyone to get off the line so they can make a call.
Matthew says its cold in the house so he'll fetch some wood.  Apparently the fireplaces are the sole source of heat for the house. There don't appear to be any radiators or heating ducts anywhere.  That would help explain why they closed off sections of the house as it would be  impossible to heat.
Matthew's crash was seventeen years ago.  The way he was talking made it seem more recent.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 03:45:30 PM »
Matthew's crash was seventeen years ago.  The way he was talking made it seem more recent.

Hmm. What, if anything, are we supposed to make of that? That would be a year after Elizabeth hired him.

Good point about heating (or not) that vast pile of a house. And about the telephones. In those far-off days, nobody had phones in their bedrooms.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 04:35:53 PM »
I think my parents had a phone in the bedroom, then.  We certainly didn't have just one phone.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 06:55:01 PM »
And her statement that she'd die if anything happened to Carolyn rang true.  She's a strange woman, but she has a heart.
Nice!

Roger's brakes failed while traveling to a meeting with a location and time chosen by Burke, who has a reason to be resentful of Roger and was spotted next to the car with a wrench in his hand earlier that night.  Is that a bigger set of coincidences than arriving on the same train as Vicki, who was in dire need of a ride to his hotel?

Joe (about "Back at the Blue Whale"):  "It's a pretty good number."
Can you rate the record between 35 and 98?  (It has a good beat and you can dance to it.)  But seriously, aren't there only 3 songs in the jukebox?  The cost is a quarter, so what happens when "I Love Rock and Roll" gets released a decade later?  (Put another dime in the jukebox, baby... Awkward.)

Liz (about Collinwood):  "It's old and decaying and smells of death."
Um, might the odor be stronger in the West Wing? ;)

Liz (about the onslaught of reporters):  "We're important news. Our family."
Just wait a few years.

Between David and Vicki, Liz won't have any teacups left.