Poll

Do you consider the audio Drama "Return to Collinwood" to be 'official' DS continuity?

Yes
1 (4.2%)
No
23 (95.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Return To Collinwood - In Continuity or Not?  (Read 6308 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: Return To Collinwood - In Continuity or Not?
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2006, 05:28:03 AM »
If on Dark Shadows a werewolf who is killed while in human form becomes a werewolf forever, then when Beth shot and killed Quentin he should have become a werewolf. But he didn't so Jeb must have been wrong.

True, unless the curse had already been removed by then in the original course of events in 1897.  We only saw a brief snippet of what took place in the unaltered 1897.  Just a possible explanation.  I suppose Jeb could have been wrong, but he reacted so strongly to Bruno's suggestion of killing Chris in human form, that he seemed to have a good idea that the result would be permanent transformation.  MBs speculation that the change might happen only if a Leviathan does the killing is a good one too.     
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2006, 03:04:47 AM »
Actually, something we tend to ignore, probably because we don't want to face the possibility with a character we really like, is that Chris was suicidal. He admitted as much to Joe. And if events did come to pass where Chris was faced with the fact that he had killed Sabrina (who, like it or not, he did love), I can see where that could have been the catalyst to finally push him to go through with it. Chris would have certainly considered Amy, but something tells me he would have ultimately decided that, even though he deeply loved her and he would be leaving her alone, Amy would be better off without him. That was a sentiment that he had often expressed, so it would be completely in keeping with his character. And being confronted with the fact that he had killed the woman he loved would have most probably driven that belief home to Chris all the more.

Well, if it didn't happen on the first series, it didn't happen. All we know is that Chris took Amy and Sabrina and left Collinssport.
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2006, 04:34:12 AM »
No. If it didn't happen on the show, it isn't to be counted.
Well, if it didn't happen on the first series, it didn't happen. All we know is that Chris took Amy and Sabrina and left Collinssport.

Yes, but we witnessed his near suicide in ep #897.  Chris left a suicide note for Carolyn (not Amy, who was already living at Collinwood) and had a gun in his hand when [spoiler]Crazy Jenny appeared to him and talked him out of dying by saying there's hope if he finds Quentin.[/spoiler]
Though he didn't succeed at killing himself, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for this character because we know that someone who has attempted suicide once can remain vulnerable to it, especially since Quentin, as it turned out, failed at helping Chris find a cure.

I don't see how Chris could decide that Amy would be better off wiithout him when she desperately needed him to take  care of her. The last time she lost a brother, she suffered a breakdown and had to be sent to Wyndcliff. Who would take care or her with him gone?  He knew she couldn't take care of herself.
He must've forgotton about what happened to her the last time she lost a brother. When Tom died, Amy suffered a breakdown and had to be sent to Wyndcliff.

By broaching this subject, I mean no disrespect to anyone here that has lost someone dear from suicide.  But, sadly, a person in such despair that suicide seems the only option may not be thinking rationally; he or she may not be capable of considering the feelings of family and friends.  For them, suicide is truly an act of desperation.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2006, 07:45:32 AM »
I don't see how Chris could decide that Amy would be better off wiithout him when she desperately needed him to take  care of her. The last time she lost a brother, she suffered a breakdown and had to be sent to Wyndcliff. Who would take care or her with him gone?  He knew she couldn't take care of herself.
By broaching this subject, I mean no disrespect to anyone here that has lost someone dear from suicide.  But, sadly, a person in such despair that suicide seems the only option may not be thinking rationally; he or she may not be capable of considering the feelings of family and friends.  For them, suicide is truly an act of desperation.
Chris may also have rationalized that his suicide would be for the greater good.  The world would be a safer place without him, if he could not be cured of lycanthropy and was likely to kill someone each night the moon was full.  Yes, Amy would have been heartbroken to lose him, but she most likely would have had a solid support network (e.g. the Collins family, Joe if he ever came back from Windcliff) to provide for her needs and offer comfort.  It's a depressing scenario, and I'm glad it didn't happen on the show, but it's not implausible.

ProfStokes

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2006, 04:43:40 PM »
i'm currently watching the leviathan episodes and one thing about them that surprised me was that the whole chris jennings/werewolf plot basically picked up where it left off before the 1897 storyline began nearly a year before.

remember the show has a habit of abandoning old plots when new one come along.after 1795 nearly everything that had happened before was tossed aside and the storyline went in an entirerly different direction.

i had assumed that something would have happened in 1897 that would have somehow reversed the curse and that part of the plot would have been over and the focus would have been primarily on the leviathan story.in this barnabas' nine month oddesy in the past was sort of pointless(although david was made well again).

the werewolf plot seems a bit like left-overs here.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2006, 05:49:48 PM »
Nope, if it didn't happen on the show, it ain't *canon*!  ;)  I don't even consider Art Wallace's "Shadows on the Wall" to be canon.  Again, what aired on ABC is canon, everything else, including our fan fiction, is not.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2006, 05:53:10 PM »
i missed the actual performance of 'return to collinwood'(i was with a group of fans in the hotel bar).

Gee, wish *I* had been in the bar,LOL!  Really it was terrible IMHO.  No disrespect intended to the stars or Jamison, but it was BRUTAL to have to sit through.  :P  It was TOO long and went on, and on, and on, and on, and on....!
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2006, 05:57:03 PM »
I am also a purist and have generally shied away from fan fiction or even licensed novels because I couldn't reconcile the events and characterizations with what I saw on the show and because I didn't trust in the accuracy of anything that wasn't actually on DS.

While I agree that fan fiction/fan novels and star fiction are not canon, I still enjoy reading them and writing them.  It helps me "fix" some of the things I didn't like from the various plotlines.  I also like the "what if" factor.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2006, 01:40:35 AM »
Nope, if it didn't happen on the show, it ain't *canon*!  ;)  I don't even consider Art Wallace's "Shadows on the Wall" to be canon.  Again, what aired on ABC is canon, everything else, including our fan fiction, is not.

I agree, Buzz H. If it didn't happen on the show,  it ain't canon. What aired on ABC is canon, everything else is not.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2006, 02:08:59 AM »
What aired on ABC is canon, everything else is not.

I agree with that when it comes strictly to a discussion of the original series, which is mostly what we're discussing here. But like Barnabas'sBride said, each version of DS has its own canon. What took place on the '91 series is canon in that DS universe and it's just as valid for that series as what happened on the original was to it. Similarly with what happened in the DS movies, the Ross novels, the comics, etc. It's just that what's canon in one DS universe, isn't canon in another.

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2006, 07:42:09 PM »
If Joe came back from Windcliff, he could marry Maggie and adopt Amy to save her from Chris'  self dextruction since he is her cousin.