Poll

Do you consider the audio Drama "Return to Collinwood" to be 'official' DS continuity?

Yes
1 (4.2%)
No
23 (95.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Return To Collinwood - In Continuity or Not?  (Read 6299 times)

Offline Elmont

• Full Poster
  • The more I live the less I judge
    • View Profile
Re: Return To Collinwood - In Continuity or Not?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2006, 09:19:27 PM »
  I saw the performance in New York and found it interesting because of the actors involved. If the show had continued I'm sure that it would have taken different direction.  Elmont...

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2006, 03:08:41 PM »
I didn't like the idea of Chris killling Sabrina and then killing himself when Amy desperately needed him to take care of her.
it is fun to say what could have happened but i refuse to believe that Chris would have killed himself and left
poor amy behind(notice i don't care what happened to sabrina they say i can be evil [santa_cheesy])but i'm with rainey if if
didn't happen in the first series it didn't happen i prefer to think chris found a cure in europe and went on, with those
movie star looks, to be a big star(not on Dancing with the Stars ick what a stupid show [santa_shocked])

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2006, 08:01:40 PM »
  I saw the performance in New York and found it interesting because of the actors involved. If the show had continued I'm sure that it would have taken different direction.

Exactly.  The question of the play being an "official" continuation of the show never occurred to me.  I viewed it as a piece of entertainment - nothing more - most likely due to the tongue-in-cheek flavor of the play.

I agree with the sentiment, "if it didn't happen on the show, it didn't happen".  Same thing with HODS and NODS - merely adventures in movie-making.

But I love reading good fan fiction.  The endless possibilities and areas to explore are so interesting and so much fun.
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2006, 08:32:57 PM »
I didn't like the idea of Chris killling Sabrina and then killing himself when Amy desperately needed him to take care of her.
it is fun to say what could have happened but i refuse to believe that Chris would have killed himself and left
poor amy behind(notice i don't care what happened to sabrina they say i can be evil [santa_cheesy])

Actually, something we tend to ignore, probably because we don't want to face the possibility with a character we really like, is that Chris was suicidal. He admitted as much to Joe. And if events did come to pass where Chris was faced with the fact that he had killed Sabrina (who, like it or not, he did love), I can see where that could have been the catalyst to finally push him to go through with it. Chris would have certainly considered Amy, but something tells me he would have ultimately decided that, even though he deeply loved her and he would be leaving her alone, Amy would be better off without him. That was a sentiment that he had often expressed, so it would be completely in keeping with his character. And being confronted with the fact that he had killed the woman he loved would have most probably driven that belief home to Chris all the more.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2006, 01:40:17 AM »
MB, true I agree.  Chris was suicidal.  However, could Chris have actually killed himself?  I mean, literally?  According to Jeb's statement in the Leviathan storyline, if a werewolf is killed while in human form it will turn him into the werewolf forever.  If Chris didn't know about that little tidbit though, I think he might have tried to go through with it.  Ironically, he'd have wound up causing a lot more damage that way.  I like to think that someone (Barnabas, Julia, Stokes) would have tipped him off to the news that trying to kill himself would only make things WORSE.

Also, given the outcome of most DS relationships, the Chris/Sabrina union would inevitably have ended badly.  But I think Amy would have been ok.  She's a carrier of the curse.  The werewolf wouldn't harm her.  For that matter, Sabrina was generally spared the werewolf attacks too.  I think Chris would have probably killed her eventually though.  The werewolf kills the one it loves.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2006, 02:56:16 AM »
MB, true I agree.  Chris was suicidal.  However, could Chris have actually killed himself?  I mean, literally?  According to Jeb's statement in the Leviathan storyline, if a werewolf is killed while in human form it will turn him into the werewolf forever.  If Chris didn't know about that little tidbit though, I think he might have tried to go through with it.  Ironically, he'd have wound up causing a lot more damage that way.

Would he, though? I'm woefully uneducated when it comes to actual werewolf lore, but in Ep #944 Jeb warns Bruno that if Bruno kills Chris in human form, Chris will be a werewolf forever - meaning if someone else kills Chris. Does that necessarily mean the same would happen if Chris kills himself? It might be splitting hairs to distinguish between being killed and killing oneself - I don't know. Perhaps the outcome would be the same. But perhaps not. I don't *think* DS ever elaborated on Jeb's statement - and like I said, I have no idea if being killed in human form is something DS made up as merely one of the 1001 bizarre things they threw into the end of Leviathans or if it's actual werewolf lore that we could research.  [idontknow]

I like to think that someone (Barnabas, Julia, Stokes) would have tipped him off to the news that trying to kill himself would only make things WORSE.

Well, presumably Stokes never knew Chris was a werewolf. At least we never saw anyone clue him in and I don't believe we saw anything to indicate he was ever suspicious of Chris. Actually, it's funny now that I think about it, but did Stokes ever comment on the werewolf attacks or even the possibility of there being a werewolf in the area? Perhaps he did, but no scenes are coming to mind. And if not, perhaps that was a deliberate choice on the writers' parts because they thought it might have complicated the storyline too much for Stokes to have become involved in it.

As for Barn and Julia, who knows if they were ever aware that if Chris was killed in human form, he would be a werewolf forever? They certainly never made mention of it when they suspected that Chris might have tried to kill himself when he was poisoned by Quentin's ghost. And I don't honestly recall Jeb mentioning it to Barn. But then, I try to recall as little as possible of the Cheap Insufferable Pig's scenes.  [b003]

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2006, 03:38:32 AM »
Chris was suicidal. He admitted as much to Joe. And if events did come to pass where Chris was faced with the fact that he had killed Sabrina (who, like it or not, he did love), I can see where that could have been the catalyst to finally push him to go through with it. Chris would have certainly considered Amy, but something tells me he would have ultimately decided that, even though he deeply loved her and he would be leaving her alone, Amy would be better off without him. That was a sentiment that he had often expressed, so it would be completely in keeping with his character. And being confronted with the fact that he had killed the woman he loved would have most probably driven that belief home to Chris all the more.

He must've forgotton about  what happened  to her the last time she lost a brother. When Tom died, Amy suffered a breakdown and had to be sent to Wyndcliff. 
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2006, 04:11:00 AM »
I have no idea if being killed in human form is something DS made up as merely one of the 1001 bizarre things they threw into the end of Leviathans or if it's actual werewolf lore that we could research.

I haven't heard of this legend outside of the DS universe, although it might exist elsewhere.  I'll have to look into it.

Well, presumably Stokes never knew Chris was a werewolf. At least we never saw anyone clue him in and I don't believe we saw anything to indicate he was ever suspicious of Chris.

Ostensibly he never knew, but, I think he did.  In one episode (can't recall the number), Julia (or Barnabas?) mentions saving David AND Chris in front of Stokes!  Stokes says nothing about it.  He does not acknowledge the remark.  He keeps quiet, but he must have known something was up with Chris for that comment to be made.  I wish I could recall the episode.  It might have been one of those episodes during 1897 where they flash to the present and Barnabas is in the I-Ching trance with Julia and Stokes standing near him.  My memory is hazy on the ep, but I distinctly recall the mention of saving Chris being made right in front of Stokes.

Actually, if anyone were to tip Chris off to the specifics of his condition, it might be Quentin who most likely knows more about it than the others.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2006, 04:32:32 AM »
Actually, if anyone were to tip Chris off to the specifics of his condition, it might be Quentin who most likely knows more about it than the others.

If only. It was a major crime that the only scene there was between Quentin and Chris that addressed anything remoting resembling their relationship or their shared "problem" was that one all too brief scene when Quentin found Chris in the woods after transforming back into himself. One would like to think they shared more offscreen - but they most definitely should have shared much more onscreen.  >:(

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2006, 06:55:40 AM »
Ostensibly he never knew, but, I think he did.  In one episode (can't recall the number), Julia (or Barnabas?) mentions saving David AND Chris in front of Stokes!  Stokes says nothing about it.  He does not acknowledge the remark.  He keeps quiet, but he must have known something was up with Chris for that comment to be made.  I wish I could recall the episode.  It might have been one of those episodes during 1897 where they flash to the present and Barnabas is in the I-Ching trance with Julia and Stokes standing near him.  My memory is hazy on the ep, but I distinctly recall the mention of saving Chris being made right in front of Stokes.

It's ep #835.  Barnabas' body has just disappeared from the Old House basement in 1969 thanks to Edward's interference in 1897:

Robservations 3/3/03 - Edward's Prisoner - #834/835

Only moments before in that same scene you referred to, Stokes questioned Julia about a comment Barnabas made in the letter she received from him that was sent on that same date in the past-- that Edward had learned his secret.  It's extremely puzzling that Stokes would analyze that to death, yet he'd accept her statement about all being "lost for David and Chris" without showing any reaction.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2006, 07:18:28 AM »
It's extremely puzzling that Stokes would analyze that to death, yet he'd accept her statement about all being "lost for David and Chris" without showing any reaction.

It IS extremely puzzling. And it's frustrating that the scene really gives no indication of what Stokes might have been told about Chris. For all we know, however, Julia had simply pulled one of her infamous I-can't-really-explain-Eliot or I-can't-tell-you-that "explanations" and Stokes doesn't know much - possibly only that Chris is *somehow* involved with Quentin's ghost and/or Barnabas' trip to the past. And what would certainly seem to lend credence to that likelihood is that in Ep #889, when Stokes makes mention to Julia that he's begun working with Sabrina to try to restore her memory, Julia inwardly panics, she tries to discourage Stokes by saying she believes he's fighting a losing battle, and once he leaves Julia's face shows grave concern. Not the reactions one would at all expect if Stokes already knew Chris' secret.

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2006, 07:48:06 AM »
If on Dark Shadows a werewolf who is killed while in human form becomes a werewolf forever, then when Beth shot and killed Quentin he should have become a werewolf. But he didn't so Jeb must have been wrong.

Misa

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2006, 06:39:28 PM »
Well, given that werewolves and Leviathans are enemies, perhaps it's only that if a Leviathan kills a werewolf in human form, it will become a werewolf forever. That *might* explain away Beth's shooting of Quentin - though, of course, it's merely a circumstantial explanation to try to justify the inconsistency. Sadly, like so many things that were thrown into the end of Leviathans, Jeb's statement wasn't really elaborated on (and very strangely, Barnabas, who was supposedly the all-knowing Leviathan leader, flatly stated at one point that he didn't even know the werewolf was Jeb's enemy  ::)), so there's no way to actually say for sure. But if so, it would certainly seem to eliminate the notion that if Chris killed himself, he would become a werewolf forever...

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2006, 01:32:20 AM »
I don't see how Chris could decide that Amy would be better off wiithout him when she desperately needed him to take  care of her. The last time she lost a brother, she suffered a breakdown and had to be sent to Wyndcliff. Who would take care or her with him gone?  He knew she couldn't take care of herself.
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2006, 02:45:14 AM »
Collinwood was a veritable Home for Strays.....they'd already taken in Vicky and Julia.  Chris had no reason to think they wouldn't take care of Amy.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas