Author Topic: And Then There's Maude!  Right-On Maude!  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
And Then There's Maude!  Right-On Maude!
« on: April 12, 2002, 09:58:10 PM »
Ain't she a hoot?  First Ruby, and then Maude.  She's one, groovy, swingin' chick.  I like her style!

But what is it with all the floozies and runabouts hanging around in a small town like Collinsport?  What were they doing there?  Having a convention?  I'd love to see what the workshops and seminars were like, not to mention the closing night banquet.

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: And Then There's Maude!  Right-On Maude!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2002, 10:12:13 PM »
Loved the title of this topic, Gerard!  Gosh, I miss that show.  Remember those ankle length vests she used to wear?  That show really was a hoot.

Collinsport was a seaport, crammed to the gills with seamen (I assure you I am typing this with as close to a straight face as I *ever* get)!  I just wish they had shown some lean, mean hungry saiilors prowling the "Eagle" in their tight white uniform.  Yeah, some unshaven, growling sailors--that's what the show needed!

Fleet's in!  Gothick

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2002, 11:12:34 PM »
I loved that show, Gothick!  My favorite episode was when they had to get that "broach that looks like a roach" out of Aunt Hattie's coffin before they buried her.  They do run it on TV-Land.

You know, that's right about the "customers" in Collinsport for the hoochy-koochy girls.  Who's the only one to show up?  Noah Gifford.  Big whoop.

Gerard

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2002, 11:35:06 PM »
Gerard,
To echo Gothick's thought that is the way seaport towns are. I know if you go down to Dundalk, (South East Baltimore) thats where the marine terminal is. The place is teaming with all kinds of recreational reptiles!
(Here's to all the hons in Dundak as they say locally).
I guess there is, "something in the water" that draws them.

Just a quick observation.

B
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2002, 11:51:37 PM »
Instead of always bringing in "outsiders" for "The Part of Hoochie-Koochie Girl", I would LOVE to see Nancy Barrett...she could pull it off with such aplomb!

Give her a wig and a boa..... :o

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2002, 12:00:53 AM »

I totally agree Gothick!!! I would love to see that! ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2002, 02:11:40 AM »

Collinsport was a seaport, crammed to the gills with seamen (I assure you I am typing this with as close to a straight face as I *ever* get)!  I just wish they had shown some lean, mean hungry saiilors prowling the "Eagle" in their tight white uniform.  Yeah, some unshaven, growling sailors--that's what the show needed!

Fleet's in!  Gothick

Where is that pirate, who gave Naomi the jewels? Curtis should have put Bluebeard on the payroll!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2002, 05:47:00 AM »
What a piece of work, lol.  ;D

All over the map with that accent too--"big city gal" from New Bedford.

And then she dropped her handkerchief!  

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2002, 06:33:48 AM »
Sadly, I'm missing all the fun of these episodes because I'm stuck in temporary housing without the SciFi Channel.  However, the collages by Mysterious Benefactor are quite a treat.  

That said, maybe it's just the pics, but Maude Browning (I accidentally typed 'Findlay' at first!) has kind of a Ronee Blakley look happening, which is always a good thing.

LOVED Gothick's remarks about unshaven sailors prowling the docks of Collinsport.  The funny thing about DS is that, with all the horrific happenings to distract the viewers, D.C. and company could have easily gotten away with it.

On a related note, I've always felt there was a gay subtext to the Nathan-Noah relationship.  Craig Slocum seemed to play the role as a jilted lover rather than an angry sailor cheated out of his money.

Now, there's a subplot crying out for revisiting should D.C. ever revive DS again...

Regards,

John

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2002, 04:59:50 PM »

LOVED Gothick's remarks about unshaven sailors prowling the docks of Collinsport.  The funny thing about DS is that, with all the horrific happenings to distract the viewers, D.C. and company could have easily gotten away with it.

LOL!  And for those who would raise budgetary concerns, instead of providing us with the two extraneous wizened and mute judges, we could have had two hunky, mute, unshaven sailors, who would have been infinitely more visually pleasing to all.  

On a related note, I've always felt there was a gay subtext to the Nathan-Noah relationship.  Craig Slocum seemed to play the role as a jilted lover rather than an angry sailor cheated out of his money.

I'm with you there.  

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline casper_collins

• DON BRISCO IS GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2002, 08:10:57 PM »
you know ..... now i'm just visualizing  bea arthur playing maude browning.....or maybe one of those unshaven sailors

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2002, 08:36:08 PM »
John and Luciaphil, have to agree with both of you about the subtext between Nathan and Noah.  I'm sure for Nathan it was just shipboard convenience, but for Noah, it was SO MUCH MORE.

Luciaphil, who was it who commented about life in the British Navy in the 18th century being a farrago of "rum, sodomy, and the lash"?  I've heard from friends who served aboard ship back in the Fifties or the Sixties that the sodomy component was still very much a part of shipboard life.  This guy I met at an Open Pagan Forum recently described a ship he served on that was rife with male witches (whom he described as "Satanists") who would prowl the decks in long flowing capes with big silver pentacle medallions.  Sounds like an episode of DS, doesn't it!

Gothick

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2002, 08:52:44 PM »
Luciaphil, who was it who commented about life in the British Navy in the 18th century being a farrago of "rum, sodomy, and the lash"?  I've heard from friends who served aboard ship back in the Fifties or the Sixties that the sodomy component was still very much a part of shipboard life.  Gothick

IIRC, the quote is attributed to Winston Churchill, an army man, lol.

Luciaphil

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2002, 03:14:07 AM »
What's funny about Ruby and Maude, etc. is that they never once use the words "prostitute," "working girl," "lady of the evening, " etc. and never implicitly state that these women are prostitutes. However, there isn't a single viewer on this board who doesn't know what these women are. That says a lot about what you can do on a show without having to spell it all out for the viewer as though the viewer is too dense to get it. In some ways censorship had it's positive side.