Author Topic: When Roger Davis rode the west-Alias Smith and Jones article  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Amanda

• Junior Poster
  • Mrs. Davis
    • View Profile
Re: When Roger Davis rode the west-Alias Smith and Jones article
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 09:41:42 AM »
Midnite, thank you for the welcome.

JoeNathan, I don't know if "Spur of the Moment" is an inside joke or not.  I have not seen this episode.  I know it is shown periodically.  I keep looking for it.  I hope to find it.  I want to add it to my RD collection.
The Kansas Cousin

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2005, 04:17:56 PM »
JoeNathan, I don't know if "Spur of the Moment" is an inside joke or not.  I have not seen this episode.  I know it is shown periodically.  I keep looking for it.  I hope to find it.  I want to add it to my RD collection.

Well, the SciFi channel is airing it on Nov. 30 at 11:30 a.m. Eastern during a TZ marathon.

http://www.scifi.com/schedulebot/index.php3?date=30-NOV-2005&feed_req
Change to the time in your area by selecting your Time Zone Feed at the bottom, then click Nov. 30 on the calendar.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2005, 06:54:08 PM »
Roger was the only major DS cast member to star in a twilight Zone episode. (I think some short term players like George Mitchell may have had a few parts.) Unfortunatley, "The Twilight Zone Companion" isn't kind to his poerformance either. You may wish to console yourself with the DVD releases of "Ruby" ( little hard to find) and "Ride the Wild Surf". I will say director Curtis Harrington at least liked Roger, he cast him in both "Ruby" and "Killer Bees" (not on DVD)

Welcome to the DS Boards, Amanda. I actually keep a funny picture of Roger Davis, Z-movie actor Conrad Brooks, and myself at my desk.

Michael
[/color]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Amanda

• Junior Poster
  • Mrs. Davis
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2005, 05:41:37 PM »
Midnite, thank you for the TZ info.  I can't wait!

Thanks for the welcome, Michael.  Your picture sounds interesting, would love to see it.

I have actually found most of Roger's films on the internet.  I am only missing a couple of TV movies, Killer Bees being one that I would love to find.  Another is River of Gold.  I will keep looking. :)

I have all of Alias Smith and Jones recorded. Because even though he only appeared in 18 episodes he narrated 32 of them.

The Kansas Cousin

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2005, 02:34:20 AM »
This will sound odd, but was the name of this topic always "When R. D. rode the....??

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2005, 05:23:47 AM »
Amanda

Welcome and here is a picture of Roger taken out by his pool, high in the hills of Hollywood.
If you are interested in how I came to be at his house you will need to read my 2005 Fest report
http://www.geocities.com/ldyanne_58/2005FestRpt.pdf

Enjoy
LdyAnne

Offline Amanda

• Junior Poster
  • Mrs. Davis
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2005, 10:35:35 AM »
Ldy Anne, thank you for the beautiful Roger pic.  I read your Fest report.  Wow!  That is so awesome.  I can only say I am green with envy.  I hope that someday I will be as fortunate as you to meet Roger. 
The Kansas Cousin

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2005, 10:10:34 PM »
Roger Davis...on Twilight Zone...Wednesday, 11/30. Sci-Fi (you remember them...they USED TO air Dark Shadows!!)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2005, 11:43:30 PM »
Roger Davis...on Twilight Zone...Wednesday, 11/30. Sci-Fi

Um, did you see Reply #16?  It's also on the Forum calendar, and the entry links to this topic.

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 07:02:29 AM »
Welcome Amanda,

I never disliked RD when I originally watched Dark Shadows, I haven't rewatched his episodes recently to update my opinion, but it sure is funny to read all of the comments about his hair obsession. I remember watching River of Gold when it first aired on TV, I liked his performance in it very much.

I have a really beautiful painting of Peter and Vicki together in her jail cell. I bought it at a convention. I loved RD as CDT.

I still haven't begun watching the DVDs I have, but I'm planning on scheduling a weekly viewing with friends soon.

Again welcome to the forum.

Misa

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2005, 12:44:41 PM »
Um, did you see Reply #16?  It's also on the Forum calendar, and the entry links to this topic.

just pushing the thread to page 1

What a Woman!

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2005, 06:33:08 PM »
This will sound odd, but was the name of this topic always "When R. D. rode the....??
Yes Patti, the original post started with a link to an article on "Alias Smith and Jones", which is when Roger "rode the west"  playing an outlaw cowboy. (on that there TV) I think many of us have a fondness as it was the end of the great TV western era, when "Gunsmoke", "Rawhide", "Sugarfoot" and "Lawman" et al. dominated the networks. (Not that I liked or watched all of them, I always thought "Big Valley" especially was tedious) I found the article on TV Party, which by the way also has a great (and extensive) article right now on the  history of the making of Rankin-Bass's "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer".

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005, 06:39:19 AM »
Well, I guess I know why I didn't see the show.  Opposite All in the Family... so it'd be opposite another of those CBS comedies like Maude or MASH or something too.    I also hate Westerns, except for the rare oddball one like Kung Fu. and Wild Wild West.

I was starting to think all of DSdom hated RD.   The derision was confusing to me.    I like him.   [spoiler]One of favorite little moments is when the 100 year old Tate crops up again in 1970.  He'd have liked recent technology... imagine that crazy room of his with the light and sound show, all decked out with Dolby![/spoiler] 

RD seemed to really relish those moments on DS when he was allowed to go crazy.    Dirk Wilkins gloating over Judith when about to bite her was priceless.  "Our relationship is about to change!"
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Amanda

• Junior Poster
  • Mrs. Davis
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 01:08:08 PM »
Hi Misa, thank you for the welcome.  Your painting sounds fabulous.  I haven't been able to find River of Gold.  I love Roger in anything he does.  I'm biased and I admit it.  He's my favorite.

I was beginning to think I was the only Roger fan in the world.  I am glad to know I'm not!

Smith and Jones fans don't like Roger because he replaced Pete Duel.  Some fans won't watch the Roger episodes.  One of their nicknames for him is Lord TOG(the other guy).  The role had to be recast after Pete's suicide.  Roger had been associated with the show from the beginning as narrator and as a guest star.  He and Pete were friends.  He took over the role under very tragic circumstances.  His costar Ben Murphy wasn't as cooperative as he should have been during the transition or for the rest of the series.  It was a tough situation for everyone.

The publication of the book, "Alias Smith & Jones: The Story of Two Pretty Good Bad Men", has turned the tide a little more in Roger's favor.  People are beginning to realize he wasn't to blame for replacing Pete.  If the series had been canceled it would not have reached the magic 50 episodes needed for syndication.  The show would have been lost to us.

I watched DS as a kid.  I used to rush home from school to see it.  I loved it.  I am just beginning my DVD collection.  It is so great to see it again.

My favorite Roger roles are Hannibal Heyes in Smith and Jones and Stephen Foster Moody in The Young Country.  I may want to rethink that after I watch his DS performances!
The Kansas Cousin

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 03:45:59 PM »
"Sugarfoot"?  Now there's a name out of the past!!  MY past actually.  Sugarfoot was my very first 'crush'......

But back to the subject of Roger Davis.  The reason he is so intensely disliked by those who dislike him can be observed in his performances on DS.  He manhandles his female co-performers terribly.  I will always be astonished that none of them ever stopped a scene to slap the hell out of him in response.  Well, at least I've never HEARD that any of them did.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas