Author Topic: When Roger Davis rode the west-Alias Smith and Jones article  (Read 4164 times)

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
Re: When Roger Davis rode the west-Alias Smith and Jones article
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2005, 02:30:47 AM »
I was beginning to think I was the only Roger fan in the world.  I am glad to know I'm not!

The publication of the book, "Alias Smith & Jones: The Story of Two Pretty Good Bad Men", has turned the tide a little more in Roger's favor.  People are beginning to realize he wasn't to blame for replacing Pete.  If the series had been canceled it would not have reached the magic 50 episodes needed for syndication.  The show would have been lost to us.

Hello again Amanda,
  Roger is one of the more unique, colorful and controversial of the DS regulars. I would have to agree with Rainey that he is too rough with the actresses. In person, Roger has a very sharp and wry sense of humor. I rather like his humor and relate to the fact that it can be misunderstood. As we are also both born southerners (he from Kentucky, I from Virginia), I relate to that too. Roger stopped me to compliment me the first time I did a skit on the costume ball, and at various times at the conventions he and I have chatted in the halls and corridors. I always find him warm and approachable. Now be aware Roger won't always be in the autograph table at the usual times. Sometimes, to get him to sign something, you may have to catch him walking around.  I've seen him start a line just for himself while others are on stage. I think the main time when Roger can get out of line in my opinion is when he's on the panels with others. Rogers feasts on attention and will answer a question often intended for someone else by interjecting himself, often on an aspect of DS he wasn't even around on, such as say Jonathan Frid's casting. While I'm sure like many of us,Roger has picked up lots of DS lore and history of the periods he wasn't directly involved in, but it would be more...um..say polite at least to let someone the question was asked to, say a KLS or Nancy Barrett on say, the black and white era answer the question, rather than Roger interjecting, "Well, ah, from what I have heard..."
    There are certain interpersonal events that involve Roger that are best left to not being addressed on the boards in my opinion.
     So, personally, I rather like Roger, but I understand he's not everyone's shot of tea. I understand he rubs some people the wrong way, but can be truly charming. Actually, I'm glad someone else is here who enjoys him.

Michael
[8_2_73]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2005, 01:52:22 AM »
Wow Roger and Jacyln Ellen Smith were on a few covers i remember when they were married
patti but i'm just a tad older than you heehee     they really were a pretty couple i was a big ASJ
fan was so upset when Pete died so sad

jennifer [ChristmaS15]
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline nedstuart

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2005, 06:38:16 PM »
I remember watching Jaclyn Smith's Biography on A&E and it talked about how they were married. It is a very interesting biography. I too really like Alias Smith & Jones. Thanks to Encore Westerns for re-running those since I was not around for the original airing.