Author Topic: Master of Dark Shadows Blu-ray  (Read 4432 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Master of Dark Shadows Blu-ray
« on: February 19, 2019, 01:51:25 AM »

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Master of Dark Shadows Blu-ray
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 11:40:00 PM »
More info about this disc has been announced. One of the extras is to include one of the Art Wallace "The House" broadcasts. Apparently there were two of them, one longer than the other, but I was unable to find information that specified which one.

Frid's Dick Cavett show appearance was mentioned as well. I remember watching that back at the time. The Merv Griffin one, which I did not think was all that interesting, has been available for years.

Of course, still no notice as to whether one of the "vintage TV spots" mentioned will be the legendary, long-coveted Grayson Hall Playtex commercial, which did air as part of some broadcasts of the show back in 1970.

G.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 12:22:05 AM »
More info about this disc has been announced. One of the extras is to include one of the Art Wallace "The House" broadcasts. Apparently there were two of them, one longer than the other, but I was unable to find information that specified which one.
I'm pretty sure it will be the shorter one. A half hour version was shown at one of the Festivals. I think it was in 2016.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 08:32:18 PM »
Coming Soon to Blu-ray:

Scroll about 2/3 down the page.

Apparently we won't be getting the '04 WB pilot as an extra, which begs the questions: 1) Why did you know who clean up the pilot, and 2) If the cleaned up version might never be released on DVD, why does it continue to get removed from YouTube?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 08:46:50 PM »
As Grayson used to say: "Who can figure anything?"

Trailer is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kevjwzLxU4

It's pretty obvious that the documentary will continue to promote the myth that Dan Curtis was somehow responsible for the success of Dark Shadows. I really think he had very little to do with it. I hope they do mention that Bert Convy was Dan's choice for the casting of Barnabas, but I am not holding my breath.

Rather scary that Roger Davis was interviewed. Also, apparently recent interview footage with a heavily bearded John Karlen.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 09:00:56 PM »
As Grayson used to say: "Who can figure anything?"

::sigh::

It's pretty obvious that the documentary will continue to promote the myth that Dan Curtis was somehow responsible for the success of Dark Shadows.

Should that really surprise any of us?  [sad1]

I really think he had very little to do with it.

Many of us here would agree...

I hope they do mention that Bert Convy was Dan's choice for the casting of Barnabas, but I am not holding my breath.

No, I wouldn't either. I suspect there won't be anything in it to tarnish the myth.

Rather scary that Roger Davis was interviewed.

Well, how could DC's DS muse ever be excluded?!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 09:02:36 PM »

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 08:08:34 PM »
A link (which I received via Google) to Barnes & Nobles' listing:

Master of Dark Shadows

Normally I wouldn't bother to post this because the price for the DVD, which it seems more people in fandom tend to buy, is cheaper on Amazon. However, the price for the Blu-ray is actually cheaper on B&N. Plus, I know people who have B&N gift cards as well as membership cards and those may help to get cheaper deals than Amazon has.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 09:23:17 PM »
Apparently news of the documentary's release is still getting out because today I found I'd gotten a new Google alert about a posting on iconvsicon.com. There's nothing in the actual article that we don't already know, so I'm not bothering to share it. But it's great that so many outlets are publicizing the release.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 08:05:11 PM »
Blu-ray Highlights: Week of April 14th, 2019
(Scroll down to almost the bottom of the page.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 08:14:28 PM »
A couple of fans who attended the screening reported on social media that the content is pretty much just focused on DS and Winds/War/Remembrance. Apparently very little of DC's other work gets coverage. If the goal was to end up with an hour long piece of work, even covering those two projects in that space would inevitably be somewhat superficial. I don't know what the running time of the final cut was. Some fans said they were disappointed with it. I personally expecting nothing at all new so if there's anything worthy of note, I would be surprised.  No doubt, the myth that DC was somehow responsible for the success of DS will continue to be perpetuated here.

As fans were listing projects that weren't included, I couldn't help asking, waggishly: "But did they cover SUPERTRAIN? Did they???" I always LOL remembering how someone asked Grayson if she'd seen the show and when she said yes, what she thought of it. There was a pause, and then, in a rare display of tact, she averred: "The TRAIN was interesting..."

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 08:27:50 PM »
Amazon lists it as 87 minutes.

And as I said in a different topic, I strongly suspect Supertrain will not come up.  [ghost_nowink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 11:30:00 PM »
Blu-ray Review: “Master of Dark Shadows”

I'm not quire sure what "A Google search reveals these are fans who like to sue each other if they don’t get their way" means...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 11:35:20 PM »
Fan review. I'm curious about the newsreel footage of Frid's appearance at the White House in 1969 but it isn't even mentioned here.

From a fan on social media:

I've now watched the new MASTER OF DARK SHADOWS documentary and all the Blu-ray bonus features, and I'm kind of.......underwhelmed. I hope you enjoy it, but frankly I was disappointed. I learned absolutely nothing new. The new interviews repeated stuff I heard before and the archival interviews and clips I had already seen. The documentary also uses that fashionable moving background behind a still photo technique over and over again until it becomes annoying and everybody's name appearing in puffs of smoke gets old pretty quickly. I did like seeing Dan's kids. Dan's other work besides DS and Winds of War/War and Remembrance is given little or no attention. Even the disk's bonus features are somewhat disappointing. With the exception of Kathryn's brief visit to the former DS studio and control room, The Web (which I had already seen at a Dark Shadows Festival), and the Frid Dick Cavett Show audio that's been floating around the internet, the other features are essentially trailers and commercials. Here's Lucy, My Favorite Martian, The Mothers in Law, The Doris Day Show, etc. The few new DS-related clips are there to sell Kathryn and David's books and the Big Finish audios. I would rather have seen bonus feature footage of the Fest panels through the years or lengthy new cast interviews. Features about Dan's other work would also have been welcome. Your mileage may vary, but this package leaves me kind of flat.

G.