Author Topic: Rare 1966 DS promo  (Read 436 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Rare 1966 DS promo
« on: October 15, 2020, 11:17:45 PM »
I think one of the rare DS 1966 promos included as an extra on an MPI home video release last year is featured at the start of this otherwise rather silly video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVrSWcSMymw

I have certainly never seen it before. Noteworthy for calling Collinwood "Collins House," which of course was featured in the early Dan Ross novels.

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Rare 1966 DS promo
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 12:29:06 AM »
I enjoyed watching the promo. The rest, nsm.

Dell comics, huh?
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 11:03:33 PM »
Ah, the Disneyland voice ("Ghost Host", Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.) of my childhood:  Paul Frees.

Thanks, Gothick!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 03:52:45 PM »
I only watched the promo - not the rest. Forewarned is forearmed!  [hall2_grin]  Thanks for the warning...

I think one of the rare DS 1966 promos included as an extra on an MPI home video release last year is featured at the start of this otherwise rather silly video;

Yes, that promo is on the Master of Dark Shadows DVD/Blu-ray. And incidentally, similar footage (minus Roger) appears in Ep #12. What's used on the show could be part of what's actually a longer version.

The funny thing about me watching that promo this time around is that it made me realize something that I don't think ever occurred to me before. Obviously we know Alexandra Moltke, Louis Edmonds and David Henesy went to Newport, RI to pose for photos and to shoot footage in and around Seaview Terrace. And there are all manner of configurations among the three, especially when it comes to photos: There's all three of them together at the piano, Alexandra with Louis, Louis with David, Alexandra alone, and David alone. But two configurations seem to be completely missing when it comes to what was shot: Louis alone and Alexandra with David. And the one that would seem to be the most glaring omission would be the later given that the whole premise in most of the early publicity for the show was that Vicki has come to be David's governess. Photos/videos of Louis alone and/or Alexandra with David may exist but I'm pretty sure I've never seen anything like that.

(Back in January I shared this behind the scenes photo of Alexandra atop "Widows' Hill":
Re: Discuss - Ep #0012 (AKA The Flapping Threads Ep)
)

Noteworthy for calling Collinwood "Collins House," which of course was featured in the early Dan Ross novels.

All of the early video promos and press releases for DS refer to Collinwood as "Collins House." And the reason for that is no doubt because it's the same in Art Wallace's Shadows on the Wall bible. In every instance in the bible the mansion is referred to as "Collins House." I guess calling the mansion Collinwood didn't come to be until after the bible was written and the early publicity had all been produced. And the funny thing about that is that nowhere on the show is Collinwood ever referred to as "Collins House." Maybe someone might say the Collins house - but it's always Collinwood whenever someone refers to the mansion by a title.