Author Topic: DS 1990 Without Woodard (Stokes) ? ? ?  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
DS 1990 Without Woodard (Stokes) ? ? ?
« on: October 25, 2005, 10:29:24 PM »
Would anyone care to speculate on what Curtis planned to do on the 1990 series without the paranormal expertise of Professor Woodard?

Killing-off Woodard that early in the series surely would have left show in great need of an occult expert.  Afterall, the Woodard/Stokes role had been vital to the integrity (and believability) of the original series.

Somehow, I doubt Curtis would have killed-off such an integral character without plans for a replacement.   But, who?

My understanding of the 2004 series leads me to believe that THAT version could have gone-forward without Woodard/Stokes -- his  fucntion might have been fulfulled by other characters.  But, the 1990 version clearly needed Woodard.

What were they planning to do without him?  Any speculation?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: DS 1990 Without Woodard (Stokes) ? ? ?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 10:42:48 PM »
I personally have no speculations, but there is a book that Pom Press published (maybe the title is Dark Shadows Resurrected?) that is supposed to include the notes prepared for season 2 of the show, had it continued.    You can get as good an idea as is available of where the show would have gone from reading those outlines and sketches.

Best wishes,

Gothick

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 11:20:42 PM »
There's only one man who could have possibly fit the bill. This chap:

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 12:17:44 AM »
I think Woodward is quite different from Stokes.

They also had oh man,,,,I can't remember [spoiler](who helped w/Phoenix 1966?)[/spoiler]
Woodward is the physical....Stokes is the paranormal/preternatural.

Just the ramblings of an old hag,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 12:21:35 AM »
LOL, Mark!

(Patti, the name is Dr. Peter Guthrie.)

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 12:30:07 AM »
I agree that in the original series, Woodard and Stokes were quite different -- Woodard being a medical doctor and Stokes being a professor and an expert in parapsychology.  But the 1990 series seemed to blend the two characters.  Woodard was Professor Woodard, and played much the same function as Stokes had, in the original.

I really can't imagine how the show could have continued without replacing this role in some manner.  They had been playing-up Maggie as something of a psychic.  Perhaps they would have made some lame attempt to push Maggie into the "Stokes" role.

On the other hand, is there anyway Woodard could have turned-up alive?

The idea of a totally new "professor" appearing in town seems pretty lame as well, but I suppose that would have been a possibility.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 01:34:43 AM »
After having just watched the 91 series for the first time (what an experience!), I think Maggie could've taken up that role as the show continued.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 03:03:42 PM »
Ha!  Well, if Maggie in the original series could become a governess with no sign of any previous training or the relevant skill-set (gods, I'm getting trendy), why couldn't she replace Professor Stokes at Rockport College as occultist-in-residence?

"Now, recite that passage from the Necronomicon again and get the translation RIGHT this time, Seymour, or I'm slinging this hash RIGHT in your coffee!"

The thought does make me smile.

Steve

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 03:22:17 PM »
The thought does make me smile.

Smile?!....Hell, the image makes me HOWL!!!! [lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 03:42:37 PM »
Well, I really didn't mean that Maggie would actually become a professor, only that she seemed to be a psychic and have some knowledge of the occult (in the 90 version).  I meant she would move into the Woodard/Stokes role figuratively, not literally.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 02:10:37 AM »
Professor Stokes, having been the most clear-headed and practical of all the DS characters on the original show, probably would not have had a place on the new show had it been renewed for another season since he would have had no connection to the Collinses because the writers had changed Ben Stokes to Ben Loomis for the revival. At least Woodard had been established as a friend/colleague to the family and Sheriff.

A shame really, because I loved Professor Stokes, and would have loved to have seen him on the show and have this professor let in on the secrets shared between Barnabas, Julia and Willie.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 12:22:41 PM »
Woodard's previously unmentioned twin brother, who was even more of an expert on the occult, could easily have brought in if the series had continued.
Fade Away and Radiate