Author Topic: The Rumored Mummy Storyline  (Read 5239 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: The Rumored Mummy Storyline
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2005, 09:10:37 PM »
And from that came the fashions we think of as "flapper" style, which, I'm pretty sure, has already been discussed here. It would have been a wonderful visual treat to see the DS actors dressed in those debonair suits and the ladies in such stylized gowns.

OMG, I *love* this idea!  Too bad DC & company didn't come up w/this.  Another time period to travel to, especially the 1930's, would have been too cool!!

Liz and Roger as children? [hall2_grin] Visiting the museum or library where the mummy was on display and Roger teasing and scaring Elizabeth about burying someone in the basement....... hehehehehe

Another excellant idea!
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2005, 09:15:23 PM »
The site is called HalloweenOnly.com

This should take you to the available clip art images stored there.

HalloweenOnly

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2005, 09:17:03 PM »
Just think of the horror of Kathleen Cody and David Jay as the Depression Era Collins children!

PERFECT casting choices!   [hall2_grin]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2005, 09:21:48 PM »
I imagine they could have a small exhibit visiting the Collinsport Museum or a few artifacts (including a mummy) on loan from a larger museum for display at the local library or something, then have a middle eastern sorcerer come to town looking for the mummy and brings it to life with a spell from an ancient Egyptian scroll.  The living mummy turns on its resurrector killing him, performs additional spells to make itself completely human and takes the identity of the dead sorcerer.  He decides to settle in Collinsport while he makes his plans.  He has a servant, the dead Sorcerer whom the Mummy brought back to life to serve him.  However, the spell  that made him human is only temporary you see, he must do something else, sacrifice a virgin to Anubis and/or find a ancient Egyptian relic that has magic properties to bind the spell permanently.  I do think it would be too much to try to redo the Maggie/Josette story, but maybe instead he falls in love with the woman fated or foretold that he must sacrifice to make himself permanantly human.  So he puts off the big spell as long as he can, killing others to prolong he temporary human existance.  If he goes too long without sacrificing someone he begins to revert to his true age and appearence.  In the end, he must choose his life or the life of his true love and he ends up choosing his own life, but the woman he loves is saved and the mummy reverts to being a mummy again, and the servent/sorcerer/zombie keels over dead......

You know what? This could be an *excellant* fan fiction Nelson!!  Are you up for it!?
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2005, 09:33:14 PM »

You know what? This could be an *excellant* fan fiction Nelson!!  Are you up for it!?

I think I might.  I will mull it over this weekend and make some notes.   [hall2_grin] TBH, though, not sure where I would post it.  What FanFic sites are out there?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2005, 09:51:47 PM »

I suspect Laura would've defintely had a connection to any mummy storyline.  Perhaps she would have been the mummy's lover centuries earlier.  I agree with idea of a 1930s or 1920s storyline.  That'd be perfect.  I also love the casting choices.

I'll have to try and find Radio TV Mirror mags from 1969 to check on the validity of this rumor.  They turn up on eBay periodically.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2005, 02:52:37 AM »
Dan Curtis said in an interview that he the one supernatural character he wouldn't use was a mummy, because all a mummy could do is drag it's leg.  thats probably what changed his mind and he went with Leviathan.

Penny Dreadful- I think the magazine article may be found in The Collinwood Collection 1 or 2 by Bob Issel.
I was looking at his third issue of this collection and found some interesting items...Roger Davis was being considered to return to DS in March 1971 and Jonathan frid was good friends with Jack Lord and spent vacation time with Lord and his wife at JL's Hawaiian estate.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2005, 03:29:47 AM »
Dan Curtis said in an interview that he the one supernatural character he wouldn't use was a mummy, because all a mummy could do is drag it's leg. 

Well that certainly seems a bit short-sighted.  All the original Frankenstein could do was walk with its knees locked, and grunt.  But that didn't stop DC from using the prototype as a model for Adam.

I'm sure if the writers had been given the chance, they would have come up with some workable storyline.  This thread alone is proof of that!  [hall2_wink]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2005, 05:52:10 AM »

Thanks Joeytrom.  I'll check into that.  I wonder if any of the DS writers have any memory of this, or other possible scrapped storylines - the "Unseen Shadows" so to speak.

In an interview, James Storm once said he was being fitted for wardrobe for a new character when he heard DS was going to be cancelled.   That sounds a bit iffy to me though, but who knows.  Hey, perhaps they were fitting him with decaying bandages?  [hall2_wink]
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2005, 06:27:46 AM »
Dan Curtis said in an interview that he the one supernatural character he wouldn't use was a mummy, because all a mummy could do is drag it's leg. 
Well that certainly seems a bit short-sighted.  All the original Frankenstein could do was walk with its knees locked, and grunt.  But that didn't stop DC from using the prototype as a model for Adam.
But Curtis did work actual leg dragging into the DS universe. NODS has leg dragging aplenty.  [hall2_cheesy]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2005, 06:49:59 AM »
Hmm, I can't remember any TV Radio Mirror articles in the Collinwood Collections.

But Curtis did work actual leg dragging into the DS universe. NODS has leg dragging aplenty.  [hall2_cheesy]
LOL  Garth Blackwood did too, but Charles Collins is a lot easier on the eyes.   [hall2_grin]

Didn't the DS comics do a mummy story?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2005, 02:59:14 PM »
Didn't the DS comics do a mummy story?

Wasn't there a paperback novel entitled  "Barnabas, Quentin and the Mummy's Ghost"?  But it's entirely possible my memory is making that up.  [hall2_rolleyes]  Anyone ACTUALLY remember that one? [hall_huh]
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2005, 03:06:21 PM »
There was a mummy story in the old comic book series (with the really horrible illustrations - all the characters looked like they were constipated, and Barnabas never took off his Sherlock Holmes coat, no matter where he was, what the weather was like, or what time of day it was - he even wore it in his coffin if he was a vampire in whatever story they had going; guess it didn't have central heating).  I think I still have that particular comic book somewhere.

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2005, 03:38:19 PM »
Wasn't there a paperback novel entitled  "Barnabas, Quentin and the Mummy's Ghost"?  But it's entirely possible my memory is making that up.  [hall2_rolleyes]  Anyone ACTUALLY remember that one? [hall_huh]

Your memory didn't let you down, Rainey!-- it was called "Barnabas, Quentin and the Mummy's Curse."  A friend tells me that an Egyptian "Isis and Osiris" storyline was presented in the DS comic strip.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2005, 09:05:42 PM »
I wonder if the character that James Storm was being outfitted for was in the present time.

Jeremiah Collins' ghost looked a little like a mummy.