Author Topic: The Rumored Mummy Storyline  (Read 5240 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: The Rumored Mummy Storyline
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2005, 03:10:59 PM »
Definitely, they'd have had to concentrate on some person controlling the mummy.   For an interesting reason.     Like... nope can't think of anything.   That's not to say that a really ambitious person couldn't dream up a good, practical use for a mummy.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2005, 04:51:56 PM »
Well, I still think Quentin is the key here.  And since he never really had a great storyline after 1897, this one could have put him front and center.  Considering he already spent time in Egypt in 1897 and he was, at that time, something of a cad -- it would seem natural that some misbehavior from his past has finally caught up with him.    I'd suggest that he brought home a boatload of middle-eastern artifacts (mostly plundered) and put them in storage somewhere on the estate back in 1897.  Present-day Quentin needs some money for something, so he enlists the help of Professor Stokes to put some of the treasure on the market.  Then the story begins. . .

I wouldn't want to see a bunch of new characters coming in to play out this storyline (ala the Leviathans), I think -- to the degree possible, it should involve the Collins family and perhaps Professor Stokes.  They could probably get by with two or perhaps three new characters -- the mummy him/herself, someone of Egyptin decent who arrives in Collinsport looking for the antiquities, and perhaps a femme-fatale (good or evil, as the storyline dictates).  As I said in a earlier post, maybe Laura Collins could be part of this story too.

And as someone else posted, I think they'd need to get the mummy out of those bandages as soon as possible.  One or two walks through the woods in full mummy regalia early in the storyline would be enough of that.  And then again, near the story's climax. The logistics of having a fully bandaged mummy walking around a small town would quuickly become laughable.

Still, I have concerns that this storyline would come across like the Leviathan story, unless steps were taken to assure that it didn't.  TPTB would need to have learned from their mistakes.  Dark Shadows' best storylines came from "within" the show -- usually from within the Collins famliy.  Those storylines based on outsiders (and there were thankfully few), seemed to be the ones that failed -- or at least the ones that I didn't like.

Just some thoughts.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2005, 05:11:03 PM »
Definitely, they'd have had to concentrate on some person controlling the mummy.   For an interesting reason.     Like... nope can't think of anything.   That's not to say that a really ambitious person couldn't dream up a good, practical use for a mummy.

Well, I'm a New Yorker.....so the most despicable creature that comes to mind would be a real estate investor who's desperate to get the Collins clan out of Collinwood so he can carve up the mansion into high-end condos.  I can imagine quite the bidding war over the unit that contains that staircase-through-time..... [hall2_wink]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2005, 06:08:58 PM »
     I agree, the mummy would have to be like Karloff and ditch the bandages relatively early on.  They could have had the bandaged mummy for a week or so, then had it look more human after that.  The love story mentioned earlier where the mummy had to choose between himself and his love is perfect DS.  The supernatural being's downfall in DS was usually its habit of falling in love.

So it seems we don't know for sure if this rumor about the scrapped storyline is true.  Who would know?  Dan Curtis or Sam Hall, I suppose.  And that's if they even remember.  I'd love to find out the details of some of these rumored unused DS storylines - the DS apocrypha so to speak.  [hall_wink]

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2005, 09:03:45 PM »
Perhaps the mummy could be like the Karloff mummy, I always thought this was such a creapy film, the makeup they did on Karloff was really cool, does anyone here remember the close-up? Then they could always tie him in with Laura maybe he made it possible for her to be a phoenix introduced her to the worship of Ra.

Or, maybe the mummy could be a good person with an evil enemy?

There are lots of possibilities as long as they made the mummy more human ala Karloff.

Misa

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2005, 09:07:58 PM »
Here's a link to a Web site featuring a picture of Karloff in the Mummy makeup.
http://www.angelfire.com/pa3/karloff/karloff.html
(Click on the "Karloff as the Mummy" link under the "Karloff Wallpaper" heading.)

and another too
http://www.doctormacro.com/Movie%20Star%20Pages/Karloff,%20Boris.htm

Pretty cool, I think.     [hall_shocked]

Misa

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2005, 09:24:04 PM »
I just found this site that has a synopsis of The Mummy, with pictures

Misa

http://eric.b.olsen.tripod.com/mummy.html

[hall2_grin]

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2005, 04:56:25 AM »

A great film indeed.  Karloff was fantastic, and that creepy makeup job is unforgetable.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2005, 07:34:18 AM »
I think I might.  I will mull it over this weekend and make some notes.   [hall2_grin] TBH, though, not sure where I would post it.  What FanFic sites are out there?
I sure hope you do write a story Nelson! It sounds like a fun and interesting read :)
JUlianka

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2005, 07:44:47 PM »
Quote from: Magnus Trask
That's not to say that a really ambitious person couldn't dream up a good, practical use for a mummy.

Very true!  Just get Nicholas Blair on it, LOL!   [hall2_grin] [hall_grin]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2005, 08:08:26 PM »
Well, I'm a New Yorker.....so the most despicable creature that comes to mind would be a real estate investor who's desperate to get the Collins clan out of Collinwood so he can carve up the mansion into high-end condos.  I can imagine quite the bidding war over the unit that contains that staircase-through-time..... [hall2_wink]

Or, they could have the local college fight to carve up the mansion to make it into a music department and boys dorm!  Oh, wait, that's been done already!   [hall2_wink]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2005, 08:20:27 PM »
Or, they could have the local college fight to carve up the mansion to make it into a music department and boys dorm!  Oh, wait, that's been done already!

OMG - it's bad enough that it's already happened to Seaview/Carey Mansion. The idea that the same sort of desecration/mutilation that's happened to the real house could happen to the "real" Collinwood is too much to bear!  [hall2_shocked]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2005, 09:04:39 AM »
Sounds as if more people get to use it, instead of just rich layabouts.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor