Author Topic: DSF's Importance to Me  (Read 1209 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
DSF's Importance to Me
« on: June 30, 2018, 05:36:37 AM »
I wish we had a section for unspecified discussion.  Anyway, I just posted this to me sister, and thought I'd put it here also.

I don't know how I'd hold onto myself over time, if Dark Shadows Forums went away or if the old posts were deleted.  I had a period around 2016 where I'd just basically had it with humor, that's how bad things had gotten.  I stopped identifying with that section of myself.

Some time after getting here, I looked at the old joke captions on DSF, and saw someone I'd forgotten about, and saw my head operating at a higher level, and I remembered the jokes kept the darkness from overwhelming me and damaging me too much.

So then, I went through a period of posting there and trying to join myself back to that person who made those jokes.  I think I have. 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: DSF's Importance to Me
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 08:58:34 PM »
We've all been there, Magnus.  Many of us still are, and if we get through it, we'll go through it again.  Ironically, in the "dark days" humor has always been the one thing to get me through.  Some people have always thought me "funny."  I would just spit out what came to mind.  One time, when I was down and out (just a couple months ago), I was working with special ed kids who were learning semi-independence through things like cooking.  And I and the other teachers were directing them how to do a certain recipe.  It included ginger.  I said:  "I'm not into ginger."  After a few seconds, I added:  "I'm more into Mary Ann."  They all burst into hysterical laughter which surprised me.  But it made me feel better.  We do what we can do when life if filled with dark shadows.

Gerard

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 05:49:52 AM »
Magnus, that's really great that the forums have been able to help!

Gerard - You mean they actually understood that?!!!
Josette

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 04:50:27 PM »
Can you believe it, Josette?  I was surprised!

Gerard

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 06:50:31 AM »
Of course there are lots of old shows still being aired, especially with the retro networks, but it's still amazing that a particular group of young people would be familiar with a particular show.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 07:43:47 PM »
Magnus, I'm happy to learn that you've found that person again-- someone I believe to be intelligent and creative, and REALLY funny.  Your humor has cheered me up on many occasions.  And it's never toxic like others' humor can be on other areas of social media, thank god.  So, I guess I'm trying to say that while you're grateful for the Forums, I'm thankful you're on them too. ♥

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 05:57:36 PM »
Thanks VERY much, Midnite!  I wish I could interact more.  I used to do the Watching Project, but still need to hook up my VCR after a big move.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 01:50:17 PM »
My former co-worker who retired a year and a half ago, had watched the entire original series not long before that with her brother, who had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Her brother has since died, my friend retired and moved to a larger city nearby where she has rented an apartment in a Victorian home with a tower (same area I have talked about in the past). She e-mailed me recently that she has begun watching the series again from the beginning and will watch the entire series. Retirement has its perks! But I'm sure this current viewing has its melancholy associations for her, too.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 03:52:39 PM »
If only one of her rooms was the tower room.  [ghost_wink]  Or maybe it is?

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 01:01:52 AM »
Magnus, I can truly not imagine this forum without you sir! [salute] You have challenged my wit and brain! (Things that I tend to lose occasionally) And made me crack the hell up on many occasions.  [ghost_cheesy] I'm very glad you are still with us.

I too have had extreme lows of my medical woes and personal life tragedies, but this forum has been a true godsend for me. It's probably the deepest and most personal record of who I've been for the past 11 years or so. The crazy stuff I read in posts I did so many years ago helps me remember the humor I was/am using constantly to prevent the darkness from creeping in again. An incredible microcosm indeed, of at least two former versions of myself. The high point and low point(s) and the now point. (In the middle again)

Putting a number on those years just made me realize that it coincided with another milestone bad event. I already knew DS was my emotional crutch in many ways, but it speaks volumes that it's really my escape from that other pain I needed to rid my psyche of (or just trudge through until it got better somehow.)  As with a lot of things in life, DS means diff things to diff people. For me, this forum and DS in general is just a big part of the fabric of who I am, and who I'll probably always be. Pretty out-there stuff I know...

Unbelievable that a TV show I started watching in the early 80s (yes, I'm slightly younger that some of you youngins! [ghost_wink]) had such an impact on me. I have read similar stories here about the role DS has played in people's emotional well-being or the escape we needed from the bad sh*t. It's definitely not as bad as all that sounds for sure... At least now I can see a bright light at the top of Quentin's stairway, so I can at least see that what I'm aiming for is within reach again.  [ghost_wink]

[salute] Special shout out to Uncle Rog and MB for keeping me constantly smiling also!!  [ghost_grin] [ghost_grin] And an extra one to MB for giving me a new appreciation for bashing Roger Davis tooooo!! I will do my best to get back into the habit of checking back more that I have very recently.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 05:17:50 PM »
Thanks for all that RQ, and I'm glad this place helps you too.  And thanks to Rog and MB very much for jokes and companionship plus more of you... To MB for all the moderation and set ups and applause... Midnite is in there somewhere though I don't seem to run across her here  much anymore...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 11:10:02 AM »
my first beginning-to-end watch helped get me through a very difficult period in my life. a fun project to look forward to. each new volume arriving in the mail with great anticipation.

this board was very much a part of that.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 03:13:44 PM »
Midnite is in there somewhere though I don't seem to run across her here  much anymore...

Oh, she's very much around - as is dom...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 01:18:45 PM »
dom very much also.  It's great when he drops back into posting captions...

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2022, 10:33:03 PM »
my first beginning-to-end watch helped get me through a very difficult period in my life. a fun project to look forward to. each new volume arriving in the mail with great anticipation.

this board was very much a part of that.

David Selby said it best on one of the DVD interviews, that DS is a magical show that we can revisit time and time again to recapture the magic we felt from years gone by. It is very easy for us to get lost in this fantasy world and, at least for a time, to shut out the problems of life.  And its MUCH safer than turning to drugs or alcohol for sure Michael! I'm talking to you too Sam Evans!!! [cool1]  [ghost_cheesy]
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."