Author Topic: The July 10th Episodes (Spoilers!)  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The July 10th Episodes (Spoilers!)
« on: July 10, 2005, 09:28:21 PM »
Watching ep #271 along with ep #1055, it's interesting to see how two seperate DS storylines were coming to a head on the same day, what with Liz' startling public confession that she "killed" Paul and her explanation of how she believes it happened, and with all manner of huge turns taking place in 1970PT. I really enjoy #271, mostly because Joan Bennett plays the relief of Liz' revelations so beautifully - but I love Love LOVE ep #1055! Joe Caldwell's dialogue is absolutely wonderful, running the gamut from the sublime (ANGELIQUE: "You introduced me to the cold of the tomb, Roger Collins. I felt I could do no less for you." and "Peace? I don't want peace! I want his destruction! And I will have it!") to the sort of absurdity that could only make sense and be said with a straight face on a show like DS (BARNABAS (to Anglelique): "In a matter of minutes you are going to be destroyed. But before you go..."), and the suspense is edge of your seat maddening. I remember being absolutely enthralled when I first watched it back on this day in 1970. Would Roger kill Maggie? What would Angelique do to Roger? Would Roxanne speak? Would Angelique be destroyed? Would Maggie shoot Quentin? And even though I now know what's going to happen, the ep still never fails to be a thrill to watch. Ep #1055 definitely ranks as one of my ten most favorite DS eps.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: The July 10th Episodes (Spoilers!)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 12:40:47 AM »
Is #1055 the one with that marvelous 365 degree pan around Roger while he's talking to Maggie?  I thought that was one of the more spectacular bits of camera legerdemain on DS.

Too bad that Liz's Forties gown with the "boa" cuffs didn't read better in the captures.  As fate would have it, I just watched this episode earlier this afternoon.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 01:45:13 AM »
i was slightly disappointed with liz's forties "look" in episode 271.she sort of looked like she always did.
i wanted a snood...some major shoulder pads...something more "mildred pierce".

seeing the slides and reading the comments on the 1970PT storyline are really making me want to see it!i have got to get a move on with the dvd's and see this thing! :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 02:38:48 PM »
Yes, the PT storyline is marvelous from what I remember:  Angelique is in almost every episode, so it's GOT to be good, and I love the "murder mystery" feel to the latter half of the story.  I only wish Claude North and Roxanne were elaborated on more deeply, but there are plenty of other "minor" secondary characters like Buffy Harrington and Hannah Stokes that are very well acted and fleshed out.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 07:45:42 PM »
Is #1055 the one with that marvelous 365 degree pan around Roger while he's talking to Maggie?

I finally had a chance to rewatch Roger's scenes in #1055 and it doesn't appear to be the ep with that particular camerawork. I'll try to remember to keep an eye out for it once the Roger/Maggie 1970PT eps come back into play in May 2006.  ;)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 08:37:33 PM »
Gosh,thanks for checking.  I didn't expect that.  After thinking about it, I realized it was probably the previous one--1054, I guess.

I just love those final weeks of PT 1970.  I find it much more satisfying than the denouement of the 1840 storyline.

G.