Author Topic: For Southern Californians: Grayson Hall on Kojak-- May 27  (Read 4525 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
For Southern Californians: Grayson Hall on Kojak-- May 27
« on: May 16, 2005, 06:51:18 PM »
Southern Californians can see the Kojak ep "Hush Now, or You'll Die" (1974) with Grayson Hall on channel KDOC out of Orange County.  It's a small role but a must-see for DS fans.  It will air Friday, May 27 at 11 a.m.  Enjoy!!!

http://www.kdoctv.net/schedule.htm

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: For Southern Californians: Grayson Hall on Kojak-- May 27
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 07:11:55 PM »
She was wonderful even though I think she barely gets five minutes of screen time. But she appears three times, so the good stuff is spread out...

GH actually managed to look frumpy in this!  Maybe one of the fans will manage to post screen captures...

Steve

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 10:11:30 PM »
Thanks for the "heads up", Midnite.  :-*

I've only seen a grainy vhs tape of her part on this episode. Sorry, Gothick, I can't do screen captures, but I know someone who can. . . if she wants to that is.  ;)

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 10:18:37 PM »
GH actually managed to look frumpy in this!  Maybe one of the fans will manage to post screen captures...

I agree...screen caps would be most appreciated.  ;) 

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 10:35:15 PM »
Maybe one of the fans will manage to post screen captures...

Hmmm - I could have sworn that at one time or another I posted screen caps from GH's episode of Kojak, but I can't find them on the forum. Must have been back in the VantageNet days...

I'd post some caps right now, but my copy of the episode was taped back in the '80s, off of a UHF station, without benefit of cable, so it's not the best. If someone manages to make a much better copy on the 27th, and they have the software, please, by all means post some captures.  ;)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 11:23:50 PM »
To Bette, Midnite and all, yes, I would love a good quality tape of this, but I am thrilled to have the one that I do have.

It was the gift of a kind, distinguished country gentleman... and I cherish both the gift, and his kindness to me.

G.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 11:37:40 PM »
Ooo.  I didn't know Grayson did a Kojak.  Wish I could see it - even though she looks "frumpy". 
Ya know, Dr. Selby did a Kojak episode.  He was pretty much the main character throughout.  It's very good but extremely sad.   :'(
But what ISN'T sad, is I've got a copy on tape.   ;D
(He doesn't look frumpy)
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 11:42:10 PM »
Thanks for the "heads up", Midnite.  :-*

I've only seen a grainy vhs tape of her part on this episode. Sorry, Gothick, I can't do screen captures, but I know someone who can. . . if she wants to that is.  ;)
You're very welcome.  [92c5] There will be lots o' screen grabs.

I missed John Karlen's appearance because I didn't realize KDOC had started showing Kojak until the day after his episode aired, but I'll be watching for Lara Parker's and Selby's eps, which ought to air close together since they seem to be showing them in order.  Did any other DS actors show up on it?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 11:46:35 PM »
I've always wondered whether Thayer did one...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 11:54:45 PM »
I've always wondered whether Thayer did one...

Oh, fantastic, he did!  Thank you.  It's called "Silent Snow, Deadly Snow" and should air on KDOC in July.

Offline Penthea

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 01:51:16 AM »
Thayer David also appeared in another Kojak episode called: Acts of Desperate Men

Penthea

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 05:16:49 PM »
My sister has the first season of KOJAK on DVD.  IIRC, she said that John Karlen was in one of the episodes.  Perhaps I could dust off the ol' DVD Capture software and post a few pics.

GH's episode is from season two, so if sales are strong enough, we'll soon have that episode to play with, too.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 05:26:00 PM »
Thanks, Penthea!

she said that John Karlen was in one of the episodes.  Perhaps I could dust off the ol' DVD Capture software and post a few pics.

I'd LOVE to see grabs of "Pinky"!  I've been watching the series but missed the first two.  :-   (Harvey Keitel was in #1, btw.)  I'm impressed that the show was primarily shot in L.A.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 08:21:23 PM »
That's cool to know that Thayer David appeared in two episodes of Kojak.  A friend was kind enough to remind me that he had seen one of these shows last year (unfortunately, I cannot recall the title), and here's his description of Thayer's appearance:

>>Thayer David's appearance on Kojak turned out to be a major letdown.  His character was shot to death in the first minute or so of the episode, giving him only scant screen time and maybe 3 or 4 lines.

He played a sleazy, drunken lout of a businessman.   His hair was the same shock-white color as in some of his other 70's roles.  He stumbled drunkenly through his brief scene, slurring his speech while carrying a cigar in one hand and a cocktail glass in the other.

He was in a small office browbeating his meek accountant (played by Eugene Roche) who was assisting Thayer's character in juggling the company books.  Thayer had embezzled a large sum from his own company and was ordering the accountant to help him cover it up.

Thayer was standing with his back to the window in the office, when a sniper in another building shot Thayer in the back, causing Thayer to drop lifeless to the floor in front of Roche's desk.  Roche called the cops and the remainder of the episode was the aftermath of the murder.   I FF'ed through the tape to see if there were any flashback sequences of Thayer, but there weren't.

I thought Thayer must have been desperate to accept such a tiny role.  I can see why they hired him though.  They needed a strong actor who would make a vivid impression very quickly."

I've seen guest appearances by Thayer David on several other 1960s and 70s series:  The Wild Wild West, Coilumbo, The Rockford Files, and Hawai'i 5--0.

G. 

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2005, 10:02:16 PM »
The episode is actually called "Hush Now, Don't You Die."

She was wonderful even though I think she barely gets five minutes of screen time. But she appears three times, so the good stuff is spread out...

Here's a grab of her first scene:

With amazing timing, Grayson's character, who is away caring for her sister, phones her son only seconds
after the police have left the door of their apartment.  Afraid that she called earlier while he was out
drinking, murdering a friend, and raping a virgin, he lies to her that he was working in the garage,
to which she frets, "I hope you were careful."

More are coming!

In the meantime, my VCR was set to record a little early and taped this late action from Cagney and Lacey:

Can you identify the DS alum that Cagney is arresting in this scene?  :)