Author Topic: Julia, the sly minx *Spoilers, darlings*  (Read 4918 times)

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: Julia, the sly minx *Spoilers, darlings*
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2004, 06:35:18 AM »
JC
thanks for those pictures! Our J was quite a gal!l Look at 19th century Barnabas's face!

jennifer
if i knew you i'm sure i would want to marry you too!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2004, 06:52:58 AM »
now back back or i'll bring out Pepe's whip!!

Where's that whip smiley when you really need it? 

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2004, 07:05:02 AM »
:::Taps J-C on the shoulder::  Darling. . i think you should remember (and so should your little harem of baracudas) . . I SAW YOU FIRST .. (or rather you saw me) . . anyway, my claim still stands and i've not reliquished it. . You can wear whichever frock you like.  .now back back or i'll bring out Pepe's whip!!

Hey... that's Ms. Baracuda to you!  ;D  ;)  I have one of Pepe's whips too, ya know...

Ah well - could I just be in charge of making some naughty, decorated cookies for the reception? LOL

Wenchily,

Heather

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2004, 01:45:03 PM »
Now, my DSFMS (Dark Shadows Faulty Memory Syndrome) is kicking in, so while I do recall this little comment by Barnabas, I can't recall if it was from the series or from one of the novels.  He makes mention to Julia of how he is not enamored by the way women in the 20th century were "liberated" or "emancipated" or something like that.  Obviously, he was use to the "weaker sex" variety of the eighteenth century, especially when they knew-their-place so-to-speak with regards to men.  And here's this woman doctor, on equal par with her male counterparts, telling him on occasion in her own bedside manner to shove it.  And it's not bad enough that she engages in the vice of tobacco like a man would, but she doesn't even have the where-to-all to go to the appropriate smoking salon to indulge, and uses his candelabrum, which means something to him, as if it were a Bic.  All she needed to do send him into apoplexy was to walk up to a 200-year-old vase, once the favorite of his dear mother, and flick ashes into it.

Gerard

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2004, 06:10:35 PM »
There was an odd fan made video spoof of the Julia-Barnabas relationship at the convention this year. 

It goes like this:As usual, Barnabas rejects Julia and she goes off to get drunk at the Blue Whale, while there, she overhears a conversation with Joe, Burke, and Maggie (an clip of a scene from an early Barnabas episode) where Joe mentions the loss of blood of one of his uncle's cows.  This gives Julia an idea and she rushes off to the farm with a cow suit mooing when Baranabas appears to strike at one of the cows.  Julia tries to convince him she is a cow but  Barnabas is too stunned just flies off . The farmer then arrives, thinking that she really is a cow. 

One guy played all the parts!

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2004, 10:38:11 PM »
Now, my DSFMS (Dark Shadows Faulty Memory Syndrome) is kicking in, so while I do recall this little comment by Barnabas, I can't recall if it was from the series or from one of the novels.  He makes mention to Julia of how he is not enamored by the way women in the 20th century were "liberated" or "emancipated" or something like that.  Obviously, he was use to the "weaker sex" variety of the eighteenth century, especially when they knew-their-place so-to-speak with regards to men.  And here's this woman doctor, on equal par with her male counterparts, telling him on occasion in her own bedside manner to shove it.  And it's not bad enough that she engages in the vice of tobacco like a man would, but she doesn't even have the where-to-all to go to the appropriate smoking salon to indulge, and uses his candelabrum, which means something to him, as if it were a Bic.  All she needed to do send him into apoplexy was to walk up to a 200-year-old vase, once the favorite of his dear mother, and flick ashes into it.

I think that must've been in a novel cuz on the show he chides her a week or so later for being a pushy modern woman and if modern men like it. . they can have it. . .he's not gonna . .
Julia99

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2004, 12:16:39 AM »
All she needed to do send him into apoplexy was to walk up to a 200-year-old vase, once the favorite of his dear mother, and flick ashes into it.

Gerard....lololololol!!!!!! Hoot & holler!!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2004, 04:40:27 AM »
Okay, so I was watching some tapes again....

[spoiler]I just saw the epi. where Julia and Dave W. were having a little conversation in the Collinwood study. This is right after Willie was shot (ya know, when Maggie and Sam set up a trap for the 'mysterious' kidnapper). First of all, why they had to shoot him **5** times in the back with a shotgun I'll never know...don't even start me on the topic of hunting - I'll go off-topic REAL fast (LOL).  Anyhoo...I love the look on Julia's face when Dr. W suggests that she's staying on at Collinwood because of an romantic interest in Seƒ±or Collins. I wonder if this is when it first came into Julia's mind as well...[/spoiler]

I wish I had some pics to illustrate this but...sigh...only have these episodes on tape. No tengo dinero mis amigos...    :P

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2004, 05:42:15 AM »
  Anyhoo...I love the look on Julia's face when Dr. W suggests that she's staying on at Collinwood because of an romantic interest in Seƒ±or Collins. I wonder if this is when it first came into Julia's mind as well...

I dont quite know when it popped into Grayson's head (a bit before i'm certain) but that is a good place to take the ball and run. . .then the execs soon caught onto what she was doing--and DS history was written.  I do love that scene too, the way she holds out her hands over the stacks of books "Daaaave, I can't just pack up and go---"  Then when she sits in the chair, uneasily squirming as he makes his insinuation---the 'cat who swallowed the canary' look on his face is pretty priceless too. . like he finally figured out something about the mysterious, brilliant Dr. Hoffman--
Julia99

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2004, 08:32:40 AM »
Another funny thing I noticed (well, at least to me)

[spoiler]When David had a dream warning him about Barnabas, he sees a mysterious faceless figure dangling a shiny medallion. Julia's wig and her shiny accessories take center stage that day - lol.

And during a scene in the Old House Drawing Room, Barnabas walks in and spies Julia engrossed in a text of some sort. He yells about her reading at a time like this (this was when Willie is in the hospital, supposedly on his deathbed). Anyhoo, She responds by saying something to the effect of: "well, you enjoy browsing through family albums; and I enjoy browsing through medical journals." That line itself was funny, considering Barn's...attitude during this time, but what I found even more intriguing was what Julia was leafing through -- it was a book alright, but what KIND of book is my question.  ;) There was one shot...Oh, I wish I had a picture...where you could see a bit of what was inside. All I can say is there was some cropped pictures running along the top of the pages, followed by some text. Now, that could've been anything -in theory- but my mind naturally strays to something a bit more...risque. Was Julia doing some extra top secret research for her...treatment...of Barnabas? LOL   Actually, that reminds me of a story on another list....  :-X   ;D   >:D[/spoiler]

I love revisiting these episodes.  :-*

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2004, 09:28:54 PM »
I hope these fill the bill...

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2004, 09:43:06 PM »
Not for nothing, but that chair is covered in some of the ugliest upholstery fabric I've ever seen in my life.  I guess slipcovers would have sent them over-budget.....  ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2004, 11:29:52 PM »
Jean-Claude, querido mio, what fabulous photos.  The first one looks as if Julia was *thrilled* to discover a copy of Lady Chatterley's Lover in Liz's Library (thinking of what Heather wrote above).  "AND it's ILLUSTRATED!" Dave looks less than thrilled with ALL of it.

G.

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2004, 12:13:17 AM »
Jean Claude, about the latest pics, all I have to say is  :-*

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2004, 12:58:51 AM »
That chair looks a lot like Archie Bunker's chair.  I wondered if it was used on that show later on.