Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1045  (Read 1146 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1045
« on: February 21, 2016, 10:48:00 AM »
Robservations #1045

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #1045

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 01:22:39 AM »
Grayson VO.  Why recap the entire scene with Will puttering around Q's hiding place?   Oh no.  It's this very sad scene again.  Farewell, Will.  It seems he only managed to write in the first place because Ang was using her powers to help, though back then I thought Hannah was the real "witch".  Anyway, no wonder Will drinks and stopped writing.  Strange that PT Ang was the force behind the biography of PT Barnabas Collins.

Will could have believably just told Angelique that he was looking for Quentin in case he was there.  His being there shouldn't be suspicious.  It was just a hunch.  She would still have questioned him about Barnabas, though.  What a great and tragic twist-- Will being put in a position of having to end his life to stop himself from talking about Barnabas.  That was an unexpected bit of inspiration in an otherwise unsubtle storyline.  He actually ends up falling by accident, if it makes any difference.

Roxanne wakes up.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 04:00:37 PM »
Will's end is one of the most riveting scenes in the whole series--or ever on TV for that matter. Kudos to both LP and JK.

Ange forces Will to admit she was the "inspiration" behind his books. It certainly is ironic that she is responsible for PT Barn's biography, and in a way responsible for RT Barn's arrival in PT.

Will climbs up onto the windowsill, Julia comes into the room. Stunned at the tableau before her, she takes a step toward the other two when Will screams. Angelique moves toward him, and he simply lets go. In a moment he is lying dead on the terrace below the window.

Angelique is beside herself with fury at "Hoffman." They race downstairs to the terrace to check on Will. In the excitement of this medical emergency, Julia forgets herself so far as to feel his neck and declare authoritatively that he’s dead--his spine was severed immediately on impact. Have you a medical degree? Angelique asks sarcastically. “Hoffman” covers up by saying, Long ago I saw another man die the same way. I remembered what the doctor said. You have a good memory, Angelique comments with more sarcasm, but “Hoffman” merely agrees. Angelique says, We’d better go inside in case someone tries to connect us with Will’s death.

It’s sunset, time for the editing flub of the day: coffin; oops, should have showed Loomis House first; coffin again. Barnabas wakes to another night. He decides to check the life force in the secret room but quickly grabs a book off the shelf instead at the sound of Angelique’s voice behind him. No, I wasn’t snooping, she (still wearing yesterday’s dress) tells him: I know you keep your secrets well hidden, Mr. Collins. Actually, I’m here to extend my condolences to the widow. (No one seems to have seen Carolyn lately). Grabbing her shoulders roughly, he demands, What have you done to Will? Smugly she tells him, I had absolutely nothing to do with Will’s death. He chose to jump from the tower at Collinwood rather than reveal your secret. Barnabas is stunned as Angelique continues, The power you hold over him is the reason he died. You’d better leave, Barnabas replies, deeply offended but also turning aside guiltily. I will, she agrees pleasantly, but I just want to tell you one thing: I very nearly found out the secret before Will died. His death has made me all the more determined to find out who--or what--you really are. Get out! Barnabas roars, oozing anger and menace from every pore. I’ll see you at the funeral, Mr. Collins, is her parting shot.

In a mere twenty-four hours Julia has managed to fit up the basement at Loomis House as a laboratory, complete with giant electrical switches (basically the same equipment used for Adam). A pair of large red candles (at least one with Christmas garlanding of green plastic leaves) are lit in the background, perhaps to make Barnabas feel more at home. The “life force” girl is on a table, still with her industrial-strength false eyelashes. We can see that her short red hair is styled in a “waif” haircut. While filling a syringe Julia admits regretfully to Barnabas, I arrived too late to rescue Will. Will is dead because of me, Barnabas replies, full of remorse. Julia comforts him by saying, Angelique probably wouldn’t have let him live anyway--he knew too much. We must continue the experiment so that she’ll be helpless, Barnabas says with new determination. Julia reminds him, Even if Angelique is rendered harmless, we’ll still have to deal with Stokes. Turning to the matter at hand, she says, I plan to combine mild shock treatment with stimulants in the hope of reviving the girl. She administers the injection, then pulls the switches. Lights flash--but nothing happens. But she has to get back to Collinwood to avoid making Angelique any more suspicious than she already is. She suggests that Barnabas stay with the girl in case of some delayed reaction.

Barnabas watches the motionless girl. What is the real reason I’m doing this? he wonders. Why do I so desperately want her to open her eyes and look at me? He admits to himself, It isn’t just on account of the experiment. How could I possibly reach her? Gently he touches her cheek. Her blue-gray eyes open and look directly into his dark and haunted ones. His grim, sad face suddenly lights up.

Angelique is coming down the staircase at Collinwood when she suddenly begins to feel faint.

Barnabas gently supports the girl and helps her stand on her feet. Can she be smiling ever so faintly?

Angelique suddenly screams and falls to the floor....

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 04:50:25 AM »
Angelique was such a busy bee spending all the time with Will and others. One by one her conquests are dying on her. How convenient that all the same equipment was invented for Pt as the original experiment and what took months befor only takes Julia a day to organize and without Lang's notes.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 08:54:17 PM »
Well, Julia has had some practice now, and she doesn't need to infuse Roxanne with the life force herself. And I suppose she could send Will to actually do all the shopping. After all, why would "Hoffman" need to buy two great big electrical switches?  [snow_wink]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 02:04:21 AM »
Maybe Carolyn has been the one out shopping for lab equipment.  I wish Barnajulia didn't feel such a need to "justify" saving Roxanne.  Barnabas may also be thinking, "But she's not even a Collins!"  If she were, no justification needed.

I plan to combine mild shock treatment with stimulants in the hope of reviving the girl.

If that was the plan, no life force is even involved in what Julia's doing.  She's really just waking her up.  By the way, I remember my mother always poking fun at it whenever a 60s show used the phrase "the girl"!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 01:04:48 AM »
Good for your mom! Even now, a lot of female characters don't have names.  [snow_angry]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 09:39:06 PM »
Everyone is on top of their game here. Solid performances all the way around.

I have some issues with Angelique here. She seems to have a PhD in black magic but other than playing parlor tricks with Maggie and Quentin, she seldom used them. There are quite a few things that she doesn't know but she doesn't really do all that much to investigate. She doesn't know who murdered her. She doesn't know how she came back from the grave (though she is beginning to). She doesn't know what secret or secrets that Barnabas has. And, though she is starting to become suspicious, she hasn't quite caught on that this is not her Hoffman. Real time Angelique would have conjured up a ghost (why not the real Hoffman?) or used a magic mirror or maybe even used Maggie to do her dirty work. Focus, dear.
Angelique's plan to ruin all the Collins family never really takes hold as a theme. The Collinses are than capable of doing that all by themselves.
The three surviving characters all have their share of the blame for Will's death. Angelique expectedly feels no remorse. Barnabas is at least momentarily guilty. As well he should be. If he had carried out his original plan, Will would possibly still be alive. Julia doesn't really seem all that bothered. Her unannounced arrival in the tower room undoubtedly startled the poor guy. She consoles Barnabas by telling him that Angelique wouldn't have let Will live because he knew too much. How compassionate of her; I wonder if she will tell Carolyn the same thing. In any event, those words may come back to haunt her.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 07:20:31 AM »
I had totally forgotten about Will & the tower room.

I agree that he didn't jump, but since his proximity to window + Julia coming in, he just fell.

BTW,,,,it is God who gives us free will; since He gave it, no one could overcome that. (But then, there's always blackmail; 'lesser of two evils).

then you'd read to me from one of your books

BookS...I thought he only had the one,,,,,,,

Good stuff, love you Amy. Where's Daniel?

Patti

[edited by admin]
What a Woman!