Author Topic: Tom Jennings... YOU ... WILL ... RISE!!!  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Tom Jennings... YOU ... WILL ... RISE!!!
« on: June 18, 2004, 11:39:16 PM »
Is it just me, or does anybody else think this is one of the *finest* pieces of, um, dialogue in DS history!

I know Tom Jennings was one FINE man, and he surely was more than just a PIECE.

I wish there had been a reunion with Julia.  He probably grumbled to Nick, "forget that little governess, I want a REAL WOMAN!!!"

I do love the scene where Julia encounters Chris at the hospital and freaks.  I love Chris' expression as he attempts to soothe her, too.

Unrepentant, unreconstructed lover of the REAL Dark Shadows,

G.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Tom Jennings... YOU ... WILL ... RISE!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 02:03:58 AM »
Is it just me, or does anybody else think this is one of the *finest* pieces of, um, dialogue in DS history!

I know Tom Jennings was one FINE man, and he surely was more than just a PIECE.

LOL!! It's certainly one of the most masterful phrases if I've ever seen one...  ;D

I wish there had been a reunion with Julia.  He probably grumbled to Nick, "forget that little governess, I want a REAL WOMAN!!!"

And Julia is all that and then some... :)  ;)

I do love the scene where Julia encounters Chris at the hospital and freaks.  I love Chris' expression as he attempts to soothe her, too.

That is one of the most memorable scenes--really it is. I mean, the last time Julia really (or at least almost) lost it was when Barnabas and her little red notebook threatened her life. Julia had been through so much...her iron-clad will and reserves never cease to amaze me.  :)

p.s. I know I'm new, but I just wanted to say that I always get a kick outta these posts... ;)

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 06:51:46 AM »
i'm with you Steve there wil never be another Chris/Tom Jennings for me :-*
as well as DS! ;D
And
WELCOME HEATHER :)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 08:39:55 PM »
WELCOME HEATHER :)

Aww...thanks Jennifer!  It's nice to be here!   :-*

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 03:04:19 PM »
What episode did this line come from?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 06:51:21 PM »
What episode did this line come from?

Robservations 9/4/02 - #630/631 - Barnabas & Vicki Try to Reason With Nick

The link takes you to summary of ep #630.  The quote isn't there, but Robin provides a description of the scene.  :)

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 05:26:02 PM »
DON BRISCOE IS BACK!!!
And yes, the scene in Joe's hospital room, where Julia mistakes Chris for her ex-vampire-boy-toy Tom is a DS classic. And then moments later, Julia's sharing a ride to Collinwood with the mysterious young stud-cum-wolf. That Dr. Hoffman could be rattled one minute, then fearless the next. The Jennings eye-candy spell could not be denied.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 06:27:58 PM »
Welcome, Heather!  It's great to have another fan of the Divine One on board.

And Sandor, the TPTB obviously knew they had dynamite in the Grayson/Briscoe duet.  The two play off one another really well.  I sometimes wonder whether Sam might have been a little jealous of DB!  The interaction between the two is often very sweet to watch.

On one of today's soaps, instead of just appearing shirtless, Briscoe would be parading around in bikini briefs.  Now doesn't THAT warm the cockles of your heart???

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 08:03:34 PM »
Briscoe would be parading around in bikini briefs.  Now doesn't THAT warm the cockles of your heart???

Are you sure that's the area of your body that it "warms"?  ;D

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 07:30:58 AM »
Briscoe would be parading around in bikini briefs.  Now doesn't THAT warm the cockles of your heart???

Are you sure that's the area of your body that it "warms"?  ;D

:o  LOL!

Well, the quickest way to a man's heart...whoops - sorry, wrong list.  LOL  ;D  ;) 

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004, 08:08:19 AM »
Welcome, Heather!  It's great to have another fan of the Divine One on board.

Many thanks Gothick (or can I call you Steve?)  ;)    It's great to see other Julia/Grayson fans here - yeah!  :-*

And Sandor, the TPTB obviously knew they had dynamite in the Grayson/Briscoe duet.  The two play off one another really well.  I sometimes wonder whether Sam might have been a little jealous of DB!  The interaction between the two is often very sweet to watch.

Hey Sandor (sorry for crossing lists here)--I still say you should've had both Chris and Tom in a scene in your story. They never showed them interact on DS...could've been interesting. I wonder how Julia woulda acted. ;) When it comes to fanfic (especially in PT), almost anything goes - LOL. And ya know, I never really thought about it before, but the interaction between Julia and the various men on DS does often have a sweet quality to it. I'll always remember certain affections B&J inferred (if not expressed) to one another (especially near the end of the series), but I have to admit that it would've been interesting if Julia had gotten involved with one of her *other* men at some point beforehand. Could've been an intriguing side story there. Well, there's always fanfic!  ;)  :)

:-*   Grayson's  Legion  Forever !   :-*[/size]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 03:33:47 PM »
Hi Heather,

well, this is highly extra-canonical, but one of my favorite tales is an unfinished novel Connie wrote a while back where Julia and Quentin were lovers.  When the novel starts, Barnabas (who is human) is starting to fall in love with Quentin, who's dealing with the flak from finally being released from the remnants of his curse.

It's a complicated story, and quite the maverick, but I thought she wrote Julia brilliantly--very true to GH's performance.

Steve

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 06:45:37 PM »
I once wrote a parallel time story where PT Julia was actually "married" to dreamy (and non-vampire-in-this-version) Tom Jennings, and somehow, the two of them were in charge of Collinwood.  Then I scribed one where PT Julia was married to Barnabas, but he wound up in a coma, so our favorite redhead was enjoying the rakish pleasures Chris Jennings had to offer. Somehow, it all seemed plausible, for as Gothick pointed out, the Grayson Hall/Don Briscoe chemistry was most evident in their scenes together.
As it was, Tom Jennings-vampire finally gave Julia someone besides Barn to lust after; then Julia was Chris Jennings' pusher ("Dr. Hoffman, I need more of those sleeping pills to get through the night"), secret keeper, and hypnotist ("Find the center, Chris...") - and she ultimately saved him from strychnine poisoning (did she apply "mouth to mouth resusciation" in that episode? Go Grayson if so!).

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2004, 09:05:32 PM »
As it was, Tom Jennings-vampire finally gave Julia someone besides Barn to lust after; then Julia was Chris Jennings' pusher ("Dr. Hoffman, I need more of those sleeping pills to get through the night"), secret keeper, and hypnotist ("Find the center, Chris...") - and she ultimately saved him from strychnine poisoning (did she apply "mouth to mouth resusciation" in that episode? Go Grayson if so!).

Nope, she didn't.  But, Julia was only dressed in her...um...evening wear at the time (okay, that robe that buttoned all the way up to her neck - chuckle). I think Julia had to take him into the back bedroom of the cottage to treat him, so who *knows* what really happened.   Sigh - no, I don't have a one track mind...LOL!   ;)

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2004, 09:33:28 PM »
Hi Heather,

well, this is highly extra-canonical, but one of my favorite tales is an unfinished novel Connie wrote a while back where Julia and Quentin were lovers.  When the novel starts, Barnabas (who is human) is starting to fall in love with Quentin, who's dealing with the flak from finally being released from the remnants of his curse.

It's a complicated story, and quite the maverick, but I thought she wrote Julia brilliantly--very true to GH's performance.

Thanks Steve  :)  I think I know what story you're talking about. "Divine Awakening," right?  Yup--that's a good one. I have a predilection for the more...adult...stories so, go figure.  LOL  I really need to check that out that again. I've only read a few chapters here and there, back when I first began discovering DS fanfic on the web--I never would've thought of that scenerio, but the way Connie wrote that is so very touching, funny, and real in it's own way.  KUDOS Connie, mucho KUDOS  (if I could insert a clapping smiley I would - LOL)!

After losing a draft I was working on for over a year  :'(  I needed a little cheering up today - thanks all...  :)