Author Topic: OT<Woman in Black  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
OT<Woman in Black
« on: February 13, 2015, 08:59:25 PM »
I had recently purchased "Ghost Story" (the made for TV movie, Fred Astaire).

I went to Amazon to see if there was 'extras' on this (it says street date 2006).

I read a few reviews, someone mentioned, "Woman in Black".

Put that in IMDb, I remembered seeing it with Daniel Radcliff a couple of times.

But, the above 'someone' was talking about the 1989 made for TV movie (in England).

The 1989 movie sounds very creepy.

On Amazon, it's only available on VHS.

First, has anyone ever seen the 1989/English movie? I say movie, because someone on IMDb asks if the D. Radcliff is just a do-over, no, but both are based on (sorry, don't remember the author's name) book.

Also, does anyone know why it wouldn't be available on DVD? (And, I know thanks to here to make sure I get Region I.)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: OT<Woman in Black
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 01:12:09 AM »
Actually, Ghost Story was not made for TV; it was a big-screen adaptation of the novel by Peter Straub.  The novel was very creepy and Stephen Kingish.  And in the novel, the creature haunting the main characters was not a ghost but a supernatural creature.  The cinematic version turned it into a ghost and, despite having iconic movie stars (like Fred Astaire and others) in it, it was a critical flop.  When I saw it after reading the novel, I was not impressed.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 01:41:44 AM »
I enjoyed Ghost Story when I saw it. But then I haven't read the book, so I can understand your disappointment, Gerard, because at least 8 out of 10 times when I've read the book first, I find the movie to be a disappointment. Though that's often because the visualization one creates while one reads a book is often hard to live up to with the movie version. I've said this before, but as much as I love the book The Shining, I loathe the Jack Nicholson '80 movie version. I think the only adaptation that comes anywhere close to a realization of the book is the '97 miniseries with Steven Weber and Rebecca De Mornay.

As for the earlier British version of The Woman in Black, I've never seen it. But it would be very interesting to track it down and compare it to the Daniel Radcliffe version because I really like that and I've just read some reviews of the earlier version that say it's better.

As to why the earlier version isn't on DVD, well, not everything comes out a DVD, so it could be as simple as that. Whoever owns the movie may not think it's a movie that would sell well enough to justify releasing it. I mean, look at how long we had to battle WB to get hoDS and NoDS released...

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 02:17:54 AM »
I enjoyed Ghost Story when I saw it.

Me too MB. Going to watch in just a minute.

As for the earlier British version of The Woman in Black, I've never seen it. But it would be very interesting to track it down and compare it to the Daniel Radcliffe version because I really like that and I've just read some reviews of the earlier version that say it's better.

As to why the earlier version isn't on DVD, well, not everything comes out a DVD, so it could be as simple as that. Whoever owns the movie may not think it's a movie that would sell well enough to justify releasing it. I mean, look at how long we had to battle WB to get hoDS and NoDS released...

True that (on HoDS & NoDS), but, I believe there is already WIB II out....?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 02:30:03 AM »
I so agree with you, MB, on the Stanley Kubrick version of The Shining.  What a disappointment.  It had its wonderful moments (thanks to Nicholson), but it was a typical, Kubrick mess.  The '97 made-for-TV mini-series was so much better (penned by King himself).  An interesting anecdote:  when Kubrick was making his version, one time, King recalled being up early in the morning and the phone rang.  He answered it.  The caller asked:  "Is this Stephen King?'  He answered:  "Yes."  "This is Stanley Kubrick.  Do you believe in god?"  Still shaving and taken off guard, King answered:  "Um, I guess so."  Kubrick responded:  "Okay," and hung up.  Then, with shaving creme on his face, King thought:  "What is he doing to my book?"  When he saw the final product he was not pleased, although he later admitted it "grew" on him.  As much as I hated Kubrick's adaption (I hate virtually everything he has done), I will, again, admit, it does have its moments but only because of the performers.  Heeeerrreee's Johnny!

If you get a chance, MB, read Staub's novel.  It's wonderful.  Well, it begins slow, plods along slow, buy half-way through you can't put it down.  Just keep at it and it'll become a roller-coaster ride.  The cinematic version was so awful; such a waste of great movie stars.  They deserved better in what should've been a great cinematic version of a great novel.

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 11:21:21 PM »
Watched first half of "Ghost Story".....I reallllllllyyyyyyy didn't remember ANY part of it.  [snow_huh]

But, during today, small bits of it seem familiar (like looking at your friend's photo album 5-6 times, if that makes sense  [snow_shocked] ).

I'll watch 2nd half tonight.

Patti

PS...as soon as I put it in, pause, go to IMDb & looked up the phenomenal actors.

Two tidbits I doubt you'd know:
1) John Housemann was besties with Orson Wells; had a hand in "Citizen Kane"
2) Fred Astaire is the first entry in IMDb, THEY put that info in their listing of Fred A!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 05:21:10 AM »
The 1989 Woman in Black is a wonderful film.  It includes one of the scariest scenes I've ever known.  I literally jumped when it happened.

I have yet to see the Radcliffe adaptation.

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 04:05:21 AM »
Gothick, if you hear of it being released as a Reg I DVD, please let us know. The Daniel Radcliff is okay. Again, though, I thought I'd heard of WIB II already being out.

I just finished "Ghost Story" (the other night, power kept going out & in, out & in, I didn't want to risk the disc getting jammed/scratched).

And, uh, BTW, we're here in GA under a severe freeze; it'll be about 12' tomorrow am (not including the windchill).

So glad I bought "Ghost Story", for anyone wondering, for $10/includes shipping, it's worth it (no extras though).

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 05:03:52 AM »
The Woman in Black, the original adaption, is available to watch somewhere in it's entirety on youtube. I started watching it at work a few weeks ago and was getting really creeped out sitting at my desk in the middle of the day! I need to finish it! I can't find it there anymore, but I downloaded it before it could disappear. Anyone that wants to check it out I'll be happy to post it for download on my website as it's not available for purchase.

I haven't read Ghost Story yet, but I actually enjoyed the movie a lot. I'll grab the book tonight on my kindle if it's available.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 06:30:54 PM »
Arashi, thank you very much for your generous offer.

I really do not like YouTube, but, much more than that, I like to OWN the discs.

Patti

Actually, here's a question; if Arashi, (and many others) can upload a movie on to a 'public domain' (I don't know if YT is 'public'), would he be able to copy it onto a DVD, legally. If he can watch whenever, wherever he wants (and by no means is he the only one), what's the difference in putting it onto a DVD?

What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 09:42:05 PM »
...can upload a movie on to a 'public domain' (I don't know if YT is 'public'),

A work is in the public domain because it's not protected by copyright, regardless of whether it's on YouTube (or anywhere on the internet).

would he be able to copy it onto a DVD, legally. If he can watch whenever, wherever he wants (and by no means is he the only one), what's the difference in putting it onto a DVD?

Legally, no, unless you have express permission to copy it or it falls under fair use, and copying something for one's personal use and enjoyment does not fall under the fair use exception.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 10:16:34 PM »
So he could legally burn to DVD FOR HIMSELF ONLY?

Could I? (Not that I'd know how....)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 10:20:20 PM »
Arashi, as long as it's legal, I would appreciate it if you downloaded it.

Then, separate instructions how I would get to it. Are there commercials?

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 05:19:10 PM »
So he could legally burn to DVD FOR HIMSELF ONLY?

Could I?

In absence of exceptions listed in Reply #10, no.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 03:17:22 PM »
Ghost Story was one of my favorite books. The movie was a major disappointment. It condenses the narrative and dumbs it down severely. Fred Astaire, Melvyn Douglas, Douglas Fairbanks and the other veteran actors are fine, as always. Craig Wasson is miscast and lacking in charisma.

I'm with you guys about The Shining. It is a very intense book, with lots of fascinating incidents. The movie is very claustrophobic and seems to be largely about cabin fever. Kubrick jettisons so much of the supernatural elements that when something does happen, it clashes with the rest of the material. And, maybe it's just me, but there was absolutely no suspense watching Jack Nicholson go crazy, as he seems more than half way there anyway.
Fade Away and Radiate