Author Topic: OT<Woman in Black  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: OT<Woman in Black
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 05:44:38 PM »
If I bought the VHS (there's no Regions for VHS, right), couldn't I have a friend transfer it from VHS to DVD?
I'd still be buying it; I will in fact make copies of music or movies to watch in other parts of my house, or on vacation, in the car, etc.
Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 06:07:56 PM »
Uncle Roger, Stephen King was also vastly disappointed with what Kubrick did to his work (although he said it eventually "grew on" him).  King remembers one time when he was up early, shaving, and the phone rang.  He answered it.  "Is this Stephen King?"  "Yes."  "This is Stanley Kubrick.  Do you believe in god?"  "Um, I guess so."  "Okay."  And then Kubrick hung up.  All King could think of was:  "My god, what's he doing to my book?"  King eventually did his own screenplay in the 90's which was turned into a TV miniseries, much more closely reflecting his novel.  It wasn't great, but it was so much better than Kubrick's bizarre rendition.

Gerard

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 08:25:44 PM »
Very true, Gerard. The TV adaptation of The Shining was a more faithful adaptation of the book but there was a lot more to be desired. For whatever reason, very few of Stephen King's works have been successfully adapted to film or TV.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 08:42:55 PM »
Patti, if you can't buy it/if it isn't produced in the format you want it in, it's illegal, period, no if, and or buts.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 12:47:03 AM »
You're right, Uncle Roger, about King's (who is great DS fan and watched it in its initial run) incredible works being easily adaptable to celluloid.  He has even admitted it.  There have been some exceptions.  The Stand, done as a miniseries (originally slated as a feature film, but there was no way to take a 1,000+ page epic and do it justice in two hours, so it was moved to a many-hours TV miniseries) was brilliant.  A friend of mine, from when I lived in Las Vegas, was among the thousands of extras in the climactic scene on Fremont Street between God and Satan.  Another friend of mine was also in the panic scene of thousands of Kansas City residents running and trying to find shelter as the missiles approached in The Day After.  And I know this is considered blasphemy, but the '02 made-for-TV version of Carrie was the best adaptation.  Yes, I loved the DePalma '76 version - it's a classic, but I think the '02 version topped it.  Other than the final scene, it included virtually everything from the novel (updated, of course, to 2002 - Carrie doesn't do research about her "condition" with books in the school library; she uses a library computer and the internet).  Oh, and I have a connection with that.  The movie was filmed (even though set in Maine, like DS), basically along the northwest coast of America and Canada.  If someone hasn't been there, it all looks like Maine.  One of the schools they used for the prom scene was a high school I use to teach at. 

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 04:48:24 AM »
Two different things:

First, and I don't know if it's possible:

My laptop DOESN'T have a CD/DVD slot, but, IF it did, can one 'copy' a movie onto a USB/flash drive (to take on a trip/less space)? I have no idea how to do this; space, sound, etc, but, if I've bought a movie/CD, I can't make a copy of it FOR ME (no, I do not copy stuff for friends, and I was fairly young when I stopped (including telling my friends/family, no, don't make a copy for me, the worker is worthy of his/her hire).

WELL, AS USUAL, I TAPPED ON SOMETHING THAT MADE MY SECOND PARAGRAPH, 'GO AWAY',,,,THEN, I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF MY ABOVE PARAGRAPH. THIS HAPPENS ON HERE ALMOST ALL THE TIME. GRRR!

What a Woman!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 12:41:11 AM »
For whatever reason, very few of Stephen King's works have been successfully adapted to film or TV.

I think the main reason is that King's works (his novels and novellas, at least) are primarily character-driven works. The most essential aspect in a King novel is what's happening inside the protagonist's mind. This is King's greatest strength, and what makes his novels so successful. The heart of King's storytelling is very hard to translate to film, and most of the movies just focus on the plot, and therefore fail.

(This is also a key to why I don't care for most of King's short stories, since they don't have the time to delve deep into the character, and end up being more superficial and plot-driven.)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 02:40:04 AM »
Arashi,

Were you ever able to find "Ghost Story" on Kindle?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2015, 07:19:35 PM »
Just checked.
There's a 1999 DVD version, for the low low price of $99.99!!

Yeah, k,

Patti
What a Woman!