Author Topic: Map of Collinwood / Collinsport ?  (Read 3599 times)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Map of Collinwood / Collinsport ?
« on: May 03, 2004, 03:10:27 PM »
Greetings, all!

Just wondering if there has ever been published (either officially or by fandom) a map of the Collinwood estate, Collinsport, etc.

Where is Collinsport on a regular old Rand McNally?  How far is it from Bangor?  Where is Windcliff Sanitarium?  Where is Seaview, Matthew Morgan's cottage, Widow's Hill, Collinwood and the Old House in relation to each other?  Let's not forget Eagle Hill Cemetary. :) How about a plan or blueprint of Collinwood and the Old House?  I would love to see any or all of these! :)

Doug, the Sadfanboy
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Map of Collinwood / Collinsport ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 08:09:48 PM »
A map of one fan's conception of the Collinwood estate was published in a fanzine about 15 years ago. If I can find it, I'll scan and post it.  :)

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 10:10:58 PM »
That would be great Mysterious Benefactor!  No, seriously, I can hardly wait.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 10:54:10 PM »
I had great luck - the first fanzine I picked up to look through (TWODS #52/53 May, 1989) was the one the map is in - and it's actually more detailed than I'd remembered.
(Keep in mind, though, that from start to finish this is purely one fan's conception that is often based on his own ficticious ideas and is in no way anything official.)

A BRIEF HISTORY

Collinsport was founded in 1718 by Isaac Collins and his bride Henrietta. Although both died a relatively short time later, the influence of their driving hands was left on the community and was carried on by their sons Elijah and Jacob. Within a century, the family's dominant position of wealth and power would be a driving force in the colonies and later the republic. Through the 1800's and on, the Collins family was much respected and to an extent feared because of a series of mysterious occurences and events particularly during the middle and turn of the century. A series of scandals and tragedies caused the family to actively suppress any knowledge of the town's existence from official publication (such as road maps, etc.) In more recent times the maps, as here, depicted only the approximate position of Collinsport based on conjecture and information leaked to the outside world. (Reports that Collinsport changes its physical location intermittantly are unsubstantiated.)

Click for MAP 1 State of Maine

1. Portsmouth
2. Kennebunkport
3. Saco
4. Portland
5. Falmouth
6. Freeport
7. Cumberland
8. Jerusalem's Lot
9. Lewiston
10. Augusta (state capital)
11. Waterville
12. Southport
13. Rockland
14. Rockport
15. Belfast
16. Searsport
17. Winterport
18. Bangor
19. Old Town
20. Brewer
21. Bucksport
22. Bluehill
23. Ellsworth
24. West Gouldsboro
25. Gouldsboro
26. Schoondic Point
27. Millbridge
28. Cherry Field
29. Harrington
30. Columbia Fells
31. Addison
32. South Addison
33. Collinsport
34. Jonesboro
35. Jonesport
36. Buck Harbour
31. Fort O'Brien
38. Machiasport
39. Machiss
40. East Machias

MAP 2 Collinsport, Maine

1. Collins Hall (Old House)
2. Collinwood
3. Blair House (Seaview House)
4. Caretaker's Cottage
S. Rectory
6. Rose Cottage
7. Collins Boathouse
8. Leviathan Hold
9. Collins Shipyard
10. Collins Cannery Offices
11. Collinsport Harbour
12. Light House
13. Eagle Hill Cemetery
14. Ocean View Recreational park
15. Public beach
16. Lighthouse
17. Harbor Patrol
18. Boat rental
19. Bait and Tackle Shop
20. Blue Whale Tavern
21. Collins Lumbermill
22. Collintech Computer Ltd.
23. Restaurant cafe
24. Courthouse
25. Sheriff's Office/Jail
26. Collinsport General Hospital
27. Fire Station
28. Post Office
29. Shopping Mall
30. Collinsport Public School
31. Collinsport Library
32. Church
33. Collinsport Inn
34. Collinsport General Store
35. Gas Station/Garage
36. Cab company
37. Collinsport Herald (newspaper)
38. Sutter Creek (mill)
39. Peterson's Farm
4G. Collins's Farms
41. Braithewaite Silversmiths
42. Antique Shop
43. Rumson House
44. Collins KEEP

NOTES ON THE MAPS OF MAINE AND COLLINSPORT
by Warren Oddsson

1. North of Schoondiepoint, the Maine coastline becomes cliffs, crashing surf, reefs and storm. As would be appropriate, I have placed Collinsport right in the middle of this area.

2. The section of coastline depicted on the map is an actual piece of Maine real estate. I chose this peninsula because I felt Collinwood should be large and isolated at the same time. By anyone's definition, private property fitting into a 4x1 mile rectangle is huge.

3. I feel that "Collins Hall" is more dignified and old-worldly than "the Old House". Also, since so much happens there, it, too, would be far from the main house and, of course, suspicion.

4. The cemetery is on the property but located away from the major dwellings. I can't believe any family, even necrophilia buffs like the Collinses, would want a cemetery on the grounds. I make the assumption that it is a piece of property leased to the town.

5. I've included Little Windward Island because I presume the Leviathans can move anything through time and space. The islands and coasts are real.

6. The surrounding towns and highways are real enough; so is the Oceanview Recreational Park.

7. In a bow to the movies, I've given one island the name of St. Eustace, and turned its castle into a Keep. These are smaller and designed more for battle. I consider Collins Keep a leftover from the Revolutionary War.

8. I'm much indebted to Jean Graham's map of Collinsport (published in an earlier issue of TWODS) and have included as such of her own designations into mine while I was assembling it. In a nod to Maine's high technology industry, I couldn't resist the incongruity of Collintech Computers.

9. You can take for granted the path to the Collins Rectory is called Pine Road. Collinwood is thickly wooded anyway. How else could the rampages of the werewolves, Leviathans and others be kept more or less secret for so long?

10. I appreciate the irony of the name of the county Collinsport is located in....

11. In deference to various references and theories regarding the location of Collinsport, it's still near Ellsworth and is still 50 miles from Bangor, albeit in a direct line.

12. Following my remark earlier about the capabilities of the Leviathan and in the spirit of artistic license, I assume that Collinsport briefly disappears when someone "in-the-know" about the strange goings-on there tries to visit it. Of course, the people of the surrounding towns are too frightened to talk of their peculiar neighbours...

One note on Mr. Oddsson's notes - specifically #10: According to all the original 1966 DS press releases (many of which were readily available in 1989 (some were even reprinted in the DS Files book series as early as 1986)), Collinsport is "officially" located in Hancock County (not far from Frenchman Bay), not Sunrise County - which invalidates much of the work Mr. Oddsson has done here. (Well, unless one subscribes to the theory that Collinsport "changes its physical location intermittantly."  :- )  But it's still fun to see all the work he put into all this.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 11:48:51 PM »
WOW!!!!!  Thank you soooo much Mysterious!  YOU SO ROCK!  ;D

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 12:13:12 AM »
This is fabulous stuff, MB. I am a nut for maps. When Beth Massie and I were writing Dreams of the Dark, I drew a very detailed map -- similar in scale and detail to this one, by the way -- of Collinsport and Collinwood as I envisioned them, and this is what we worked from when dealing with any sort of geography in the book.  Collinsport, in our version, was, in fact, at the easternmost edge of Hancock County (actually a fictitious corner of the existing county), not far from the mouth of the Narraguagus River.

I provided the map to HarperCollins when we submitted the book, although they opted not to use it (would've been neat if they had).

There are a lot of similarities in our map to the Oddsson map; Collinwood is south of Collinsport, on a very similar peninsula; Eagle Hill is placed in an almost identical position; U.S. Hwy. 1 Alt is also almost identically placed. The description of the drive to Collinwood in Dreams mentions this specifically.

There are some significant differences. One is that the front and back sides of the house are pretty much reversed and, in my version, Widows Hill is to the north of the mansion. My reason for this is that, assuming Widows Hill actually faces roughly east, views in the show would suggest that the house is to the south of the cliffs. And from Widows Hill, Collinsport can be seen in the distance, and Collinwood appears to be in the opposite direction. The Old House in my version is also to the north; about where Hatter's Cove is shown on the Oddsson map.

The grounds of Collinwood on my map closely parallel the Lyndhurst estate, except that it is expanded by a factor of approximately three. In the early chapters of Dreams, I mentioned a distant suspension bridge, which would roughly equate to the positioning of the Tappan Zee Bridge (ostensibly a bridge for Hwy 1A).

I don't know if I'll be able to find a copy of the map I made; if so, I'll try to scan it and post it.

--Mark

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 12:22:08 AM »
I like this map! Lots of details.  However, a few places are missing:
1. The Evan's Cottage.
2. The Law Offices of Anthony Peterson.
3. Sabrina wasn't at Wyndcliffe she was in a nursing home(?) or convalescent type home in Collinsport possibly by North Rd.?Can't remember the name.
4. Buffy's apartment building.
5. Professor Stokes (or was he in Lockport?)
6. Brewster's(?)Men's and Boy's Clothing Store.
7. Less we forget Orbach's for Liz's high fashion duds. ;D
8. Dr. Lang's house
9.Joe Haskell's boarding house (perhaps Jeff Clark was also in the same boarding house).
10. Charles Delaware Tate's house.
11. The house where Cyrus Longworth (John Yeager) kept Maggie prisoner.
12. Cyrus's laboratory.
To name a few.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 01:01:15 AM »
thank you mysterious benefactor!that was really neat!i did too notice a few ommisions,like the evan's cottage,but  it was quite detailed.as for collinwood itself it seemed like that for a house that was "mostly closed off",there was a limitless no. of bedrooms for endlessly visiting guests.also, mrs.johnson's room would not have been in the family wing in a house like collinwood, but in seperate staff quarters behind the kitchen or on the top floor.was it ever established where joe haskell lived? and did anyone notice that tony peterson's apt. was burke devlin's rooms at the inn refurnished!the curtains are the same and so is the number on the door "24".
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 01:12:31 AM »
Hmmmm, Mr. Oddsson seems to have also left out the train station where Victoria arrived from New York. :)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 02:44:58 AM »
was it ever established where joe haskell lived?

Only that he had an apartment... #24, btw.  ;)  And how timely-- you can see Joe's door in today's / tomorrow's montage.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2004, 04:28:57 AM »
I can't be sure since it's so small, but the Caretaker's Cottage is listed as #4 and I think I see at least three # 4s.

Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2004, 05:04:54 AM »
I think I see at least three # 4s.

I thought that was odd, too, Josette. But I think the #4 with the small building associated with it - the one at the end of the path through the forest to the west coastline must be where Mr. Oddsson pictured the cottage.  :) The other two #4s near the east coastline seem to be there for no apparent reason.  :-

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2004, 08:27:42 AM »
Hmmm!  Is that a building?!!  I would think one of the other two, which are closer to the main house, would make more sense.  Matthew certainly didn't have to travel too far when he was needed.
Josette

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2004, 12:57:38 PM »
I find I am also surprised at Oddsson's location of the Blue Whale as a little inland when according to every establishing shot, it is right on the waterfront.  It's nit picky I know!  :)  I am still loving the map and ejoying getting a picture of the collinsport layout in my head ;)

Dougfanboy

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2004, 01:29:34 PM »
Mysterious Benefactor.....Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.  You must have a bag of wonderful things.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.