Author Topic: The Return of Yet Another New Slideshow (Sort of) [** Now featuring unshot Julia material - see reply #194**]  (Read 39704 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The scene continues with the script explaining:

Tucker removes his mask and we see that he is very young. He
      takes a deep breath, as some of his color returns.

And then today's quote -

Page 79A/Scene 176E - Julia (CONT'D) (smiles): 'It's not something I can teach you.'

- comes up.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing along:

(CONTINUED)

Revised 2/28/90

176E  CONTINUED:

And that's where Saturday's quote -

Page 79B/Scene 176E - Tucker: 'My dad always said I should go into orthopedics.'

- comes up, followed by Sunday's quote -

Page 79B/Scene 176E - Julia: 'Boring... besides, you're too good.'

- coming up, followed by the script continuing with:

She pats him on the shoulder as they're interrupted by a NURSE.

NURSE
                Call for you, Dr. Hoffman.

JULIA
                Thank you.

She turns back to Tucker and motions him back into the lab.

JULIA (CONT'D)
                Try to go with the music... it
                helps.

He smiles, sheepishly, and goes into the lab as Julia exits.

End of scene - though certainly not end of sequence...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The next scene in the sequence:

176F  INT. JULIA'S NYU OFFICE - DAY

CLOSE on a phone, its hold button blinking. A beat, then Julia
      picks it up.

And that's where today's quote -

Page 79B/Scene 176F - Julia: 'Dr. Hoffman (pause) Michael, how are you? (pause) Up to my elbows in bone marrow and internes with queasy stomachs. I haven't heard your voice in a long time.'

- comes up, followed by the script continuing with:

The CAMERA slowly MOVES IN to Julia as she listens, her
      expression turning more serious.

End of scene - and end of sequence.

Beginning tomorrow the slideshow will briefly return to material that is in the pilot - though as it progresses there will be bits of the scene that isn't...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
These excerpts are fascinating, MB--and thank you for alerting us to the inclusion of unshot Julia scenes here, as I am afraid I have not been following this thread.

The most fascinating detail to me is that the descriptive phrases about Julia--classy English accent, exotic sensuous beauty--suggest that the role was WRITTEN with Barbara Steele in mind.

I know nothing of the production history or just when Steele was cast, so that's an intriguing concept for me to ponder (but have no way of pursuing further).

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure the role was written with her in mind.

And after the current scene in the slideshow, there will be some interesting info about Julia's background coming up in another unshot scene...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure the role was written with her in mind.

So am I, given her previous involvement with Dan Curtis as producer of the War and Remembrance series.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I seem to recall reading that she had to be persuaded to do the role because she'd pretty much given up acting and was concentrating on the producing side of things. But I'm pretty sure I've also read that DC wanted her for Julia from the outset. So we definitely owe DC thanks for getting her to play Julia.

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
As well as jump starting her acting career. Who knows if she would have done any of the things that she has appeared in over the last 25 years if she hadn't done DS?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up the current scene:

177   EXT. COLLINSPORT TRAIN STATION - DAY

As the train pulls into the station, and Julia, luggage in hand,
      steps to the platform.

WOODARD (O.S.)
                Julia!

(CONTINUED)

Revised 2/28/90

177   CONTINUED:

She turns and smiles. PAN TO INCLUDE Woodard approaching from
      the b.g.

JULIA
                Michael...
                     (she hugs him)

And that's when today's quote -

Page 79C/Scene 177 - Woodard: 'I appreciate your coming on such short notice. It's very good of you.'

- comes up.

And as far as differences in the dialogue go, there really aren't any.

On the other hand, there are certainly things that are different when it comes to the script's direction and descriptions of the scene and what actually happens in the pilot. One thing that's radically different is that in the pilot the scene actually takes place during a very rainy night, not during the day - and, yes, Julia, luggage in hand, does step to the platform, but afterward the camera does a slow pan up her body from her boots to the back of her head as she stands holding her umbrella against the rain, and then, as the script indicates, it's after she hears Woodard call to her that she turns and smiles (all completely deserving camerawork to introduce a character as important as Julia) - and the camera doesn't pan by including Julia as Woodard approaches because the angle actually cuts to Woodard alone as he approaches and then includes Julia as he reaches her - and they don't actually hug so much as Woodard takes her outstretched arm in an affectionate gesture.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Those with good memories will have already realized that today's quote -

Page 79C/Scene 177 - Julia: 'On the contrary, I owe you Michael. Besides the obligation, I'm intrigued.'

- is not what Julia says in the pilot - she actually says "On the contrary, I'm quite intrigued." There's no reference to any obligation that Julia may owe Woodard. And that's because the scene that explains Julia's perceived obligation to Woodard was never shot. But the scene that will explain it will be coming up in the slideshow/script shortly after the current scene concludes...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Picking up where we left off:

They start down the platform as the train pulls away behind
      them.

And that's when yesterday's quote -

Page 79C/Scene 177 - Woodard: 'I got you a room at the Collinsport Inn... It's quite charming.'

- comes up, followed by today's quote -

Page 79C/Scene 177 - Julia: 'Good, and I hope part of that charm can be put into a glass... I've had a long week.'

- coming up, followed by the script continuing with:

WOODARD
                So, have I.

As they continue toward Woodard' car, we...

End of scene. Though, again, much of that is not how things play in the pilot.

So, as far as anything that's different when it comes to the scripted dialogue, what Julia actually says in response to Woodard informing her that he's gotten her a room at the Collinsport Inn is "I hope that some of that charm comes in a tall glass" - and Woodard actually replies to that with "It does" - and then after that is when Julia actually says "It's been a long day" - and after that there is some unscripted dialogue as we actually see Julia getting into the car, but more on that below.

So, as far as whether or not there are any differences between the scripted direction and descriptions go, there aren't any. But as I indicated above, the scene continues beyond what's written in the script. As thunder rumbles and they reach Woodard's car, he opens the passenger door for Julia and takes her umbrella as she begins to get inside, at which point she asks:

Unscripted From Scene 177 - Julia: 'When do I see the girl?'

To which Woodard replies with an unscripted "In the morning" - and then Julia nods and gets completely inside the car, after which Woodard closes the car door for her. And all of that was most probably added to the scene because there were no plans to shoot the next sequence in the script.

And yes, the script does indeed say "Woodard' car" instead of Woodard's car. But this is certainly not the first typo in the script. And as we know only too well, it's apparently nearly impossible to produce many documents related to DS that are without at least one sort of error in them...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up the new sequence:

177A  EXT. COLLINSPORT INN - DAY

A quaint, New Englandy bed and breakfast.

177B  INT. COLLINSPORT INN - JULIA'S ROOM - DAY

Woodard is pouring a drink into a glass at a small bar. He
      looks over his shoulder.

Page 79C/Scene 177B - Woodard: 'That's really all I can tell you. It's all very strange.'

- comes up.

And keep in mind that the reason this sequence takes place during the day is because Scene 177 is originally scripted to have taken place during the day.

Also, it's interesting to note that had this sequence been shot as scripted, not only would it have been the only time we might have seen the outside of the Collinsport Inn in the '91 series, it would have been the only time the Collinsport Inn location would have factored into anything on the series because, unlike the original series, the Collinsport Inn never once shows up. I don't think it's ever even referred to...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Moving on to the next scene:

177C  ANOTHER ANGLE

To show Julia stepping out of the bathroom. She's changed her
      clothes and is buttoning as she exits.

(CONTINUED)

Revised 2/28/90

177C  CONTINUED:

JULIA
                Yes, but quite intriguing.

Woodard hands her the drink and Julia accepts with a small
      toast. She takes a sip.

Page 79D/Scene 177C - Woodard: 'Have you heard from Donald?'

- comes up.

Think of what sort of message the outset of Scene 177C might have sent if it wasn't shot correctly!  [naughty]

And just who is Donald? Well, we'll learn that very shortly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing on:

Today's first quote picks up with Julia's response to Woodard's question about Donald -

Page 79D/Scene 177C - Julia: 'A Christmas card. He's moved to Los Angeles... where all divorced men go. (a beat) I never properly thanked you for all the times I cried on your shoulder when Donald and I broke up.'

- and then today's second quote -

Page 79D/Scene 177C - Woodard: 'You don't have to.'

- is his reply.

So, the '91 Julia was supposed to have been married and divorced - who knew? And quite the departure from the original Julia.

And this scene also deepens the Julia/Woodard relationship beyond what we knew. Probably even beyond the close relationship of Julia and Dr. Woodard in the original series...

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Just wondering if this was Donald Hoffman or if Julia either retained her maiden name or reverted to it after the split. It might have been fun if Donald eventually followed her to Collinsport. There could have been a great Barnabas/Julia/Donald/Vicki quadrants. Or he might have pursued Maggie, Carolyn or even Elizabeth.
Fade Away and Radiate