Author Topic: OT - PomPress Pub. to air on NBC in March  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT - PomPress Pub. to air on NBC in March
« on: February 13, 2004, 05:17:28 PM »
from NBC.com--

9/8pm Monday, March 8th
Behind the Camera: The Unauthorized Story of CHARLIE'S ANGELS Big hair. Big guns. Big behind-the-scenes drama! See how this sexy girls-with-guns drama series survived its tumultuous first season, making stars out of its three lovely leads. The main movie source is the book "Charlie's Angel's Casebook" by Jack Condon and [DS fan!] David Hofstede.

Watch a preview here--
http://www.nbc.com/nbc/Movies_&_Specials/

The "Charlie's Angles, er, Angels Casebook" is a publication of Pomegranate Press, and you can find a link to cast photos (including the actress who will play Kate Jackson) and ordering info at http://www.pompress.com/

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re:OT - PomPress Pub. to air on NBC in March
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 03:04:05 PM »
Caught a segment about the movie on this morning's Today show. The actress who plays Kate Jackson really seems to have her voice down.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 04:51:40 PM »
The review in today's issue of Variety says the same thing. GMTA.  ;)

Of course, the review also says that the movie "doubtless mangles TV history," but in general they do like it...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 05:04:05 PM »
While I was at my parents home for my Granny's funeral, I saw a trailer for this movie.  It looked *incredibly* campy.  I may tune in for a bit, if I can pick up the signal on my antenna.  I can always use a good cheap laugh.

Talking of Seventies Camp, a friend of mine posted a hysterical review of the new Starsky & Hutch retread.  Owen and Ben make a really cute couple, it seems.  I saw a bit of this on the tube while I was at the laundromat on Sat. and it looked as if Ben's hair had been given a *triple" perm.  The wonders of Seventies technology.

Get Up and Boogie!

G.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 05:24:54 PM »
So...if the "Starsky and Hutch" movie is a wild success......do you think those sweaters will come back into style?  [vryevl]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004, 05:42:04 PM »
Probably, but let's hope not. I'm more worried the hair style making it's way back.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
OT_Unauthorized Charlie's Angels flick
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 06:46:40 AM »
Sure i wasted a few hours watching this flick. . . long boring day at work. . i thought it was interesting that Kate Jackson was considered bossy. . .i know "Daphne" was supposed to be a wet blanket not Kate but she did the part so well . .. I didn't think Kate would be so opinionated but it was about 5-6 years after DS.  Of course it was "unauthorized" hey hey
Julia99

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:OT_Unauthorized Charlie's Angels flick
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 07:06:30 PM »
Sure i wasted a few hours watching this flick. . . long boring day at work. . i thought it was interesting that Kate Jackson was considered bossy. . .

Same here. Overall, I thought it was just a bit cartoonish.  I've only watched a couple of eps of Charlie's Angels in my life - but I couldn't help thinking that the writers were confusing the women with their characters somewhat.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 07:15:42 PM »
I thought it was a laugh riot-- the whole thing done with tongues firmly planted in cheeks.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004, 07:31:13 PM »
It was hysterical!  It was good to see a period piece where they bothered to get the hair and costumes right, too.

I've only seen the first 15 minutes or so (I taped the rest), but the whole scene of Aaron Spelling's party alone was worth the price of admission.  I about died laughing when "Farrah" came bouncing down the stairs, big hair flyin' in the wind.  It was fun to spot all the mock celebs, too--just in those 15 minutes I spotted Telly Savalas and Tina Turner impersonators.

oh and Tori Spelling appeared as an infant...

I also thought it was a hoot that Kate Jackson got credit for so much of the Charlies Angels concept.

G.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 08:29:10 PM »
Well, I guess I just wasn't in the mood for it - probably too tired to have gotten the full effect.  Then again, I think I'm still holding a grudge against that show because it caused the quick cancellation of one that starred Tim Matheson and Kurt Russell which ran at the same time  :'(.  Of course, it was a mercy killing since the show was actually about as dim witted as "Charlie's Angels" but in a different way.  The thing is - back in the late '70's I was enjoying watching those two guys as much as the guys were enjoying the bouncy bouncy trio.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2004, 09:04:13 PM »
Castelebee, that corgi shakin' his thing is SO cute!

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2004, 09:55:04 PM »
Thanks Midnite...that's the way Sir Nigel Griffin-Jones (aka Vampuppy)actually looks from behind when he's walking.

For a true picture you definately need to imagine it without the angelic gear.  >:D

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2004, 10:45:07 PM »
I've only seen the first 15 minutes or so (I taped the rest), ...

I also thought it was a hoot that Kate Jackson got credit for so much of the Charlies Angels concept.

I haven't seen any of it yet (though I taped it too), but any credit they gave Jackson for the Charlie's Angels concept was probably true. Not only was it widely reported in several CA articles, but when the progress of the CA pilot was first being discussed in Variety, they explained that Jackson came up with the concept. Jackson had an option in her Rookies contract to star in her own series for Spelling/Goldberg. She wasn't really thrilled with the ideas they were coming up for her, and during one of her meetings with Spelling and Goldberg she came up with the idea of three female private eyes who only communicated with their boss through a speaker box. She gave the show the title Harry's Angels, but because there was already a show on the air called Harry-O, they phoned Jackson later to say that they should probably change the name, so she came up with Charlie's Angels. And the rest, as they say, is history...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2004, 11:02:28 AM »
Still haven't had a chance to watch the movie, but apparently not many people cared about it all at. Variety reports that in the 9-11 time period CBS won the night with repeats of "Everybody Loves Raymond" at 9 (16.7 million viewers) and "Two and a Half Men" at 9:30 (14.9 million viewers) and then "cruised at 10" with a repeat of "CSI: Miami" (15.3 million viewers). ABC and NBC "didn't put up much resistance from 9 to 11" - ABC's original movie "Judas" "didn't do much" (9.1 million viewers)  - NBC's firstrun pic "Behind the Camera: The Unauthorized Story of Charlie's Angels" (7.9 million viewers).

About the only claim the movie can make is that in the 18-49 demographic it beat "Judas" (2.6/7 in adults 18-49) with 3.6/9 in adults 18-49. However, that's not much of a boast because "Everybody Loves Raymond" (6.0/15 in adults 18-49), "Two and a Half Men" (5.6/14 in adults 18-49), and "CSI: Miami" (5.5/14 in adults 18-49) were way out ahead of both.

Perhaps people felt the movie was going to be a hachet job like the one NBC did on "Three's Company". If it was, I can't say I blame them for not tuning in...