Author Topic: Picky Complaints  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Picky Complaints
« on: March 12, 2002, 10:18:20 AM »
There are a couple of things that happen on DS that drive me crazy.  

They must have quite an artisan in that town.  As soon as someone dies, the carved tombstone is right there!  In this case, perhaps that explains the misspelling of "Jerimiah"!!

The other is when a body, in this case Jeremiah's hand, comes up out of a grave.  Isn't anyone buried in a coffin (other than vampires) around here?  It's quite an effective moment, but I still don't see how that hand breaks through the coffin and then out through the soil!!!
Josette

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Picky Complaints
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2002, 02:22:48 PM »
You will even see typos in the credits-such as KLS once listed as Kathryn Lee Scoot. As far as the hand, a pre-requisite for watching  DS is that you must let yourself go beyond the believable...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2002, 05:55:13 PM »
There are a couple of things that happen on DS that drive me crazy.  

They must have quite an artisan in that town.  As soon as someone dies, the carved tombstone is right there!  In this case, perhaps that explains the misspelling of "Jerimiah"!!

The other is when a body, in this case Jeremiah's hand, comes up out of a grave.  Isn't anyone buried in a coffin (other than vampires) around here?  It's quite an effective moment, but I still don't see how that hand breaks through the coffin and then out through the soil!!!

Those things might drive you crazy, Josette, but I hope you still find them amusing!  I find it more thrilling to see the improbable hand poking out from under the dirt than having to endure the more "accurate" portrayal of a six-foot coffin lid trying to crack its way open through the earth, awkwardly toppling all the surrounding styrofoam gravestones in the process.   :D

Ben

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2002, 07:29:46 PM »
Want to hear my picky complaint of the day?......

Jeremiah's dead for pete's sake....so how come he still doesn't know that Angelique was the wicked witch behind all this grief?  Why doesn't he know that he never really loved Josette at all, and shouldn't care if Barnabas marries her or not?  Are we to assume we're going to be as "in the dark" beyond the grave as we are among the living?  What a depressing thought!!

Oh, I get it....it's not Jeremiah's REAL ghost...it's just a reasonable faximile that Angelique has conjured up to scare Barnabas with.  In that case,  I wish the real Ghost of Jeremiah would please stand up and snatch Angie's wicked little soul off to Hades.

Don't mind me....I just got back from  having my taxes done....sigh.
Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2002, 08:45:31 PM »
Don't mind me....I just got back from  having my taxes done....sigh.
Raineypark

Well,  I hope you will be getting a refund....

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2002, 12:02:35 AM »

In that case,  I wish the real Ghost of Jeremiah would please stand up and snatch Angie's wicked little soul off to Hades.

Just wait around, Raineypark...and make sure you watch tomorrow's second episode!

ProfStokes

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2002, 12:20:55 AM »
Why thank you Professor!.....
I'll be sure and have the VCR on in case I'm not around.

I've seen this entire series once in my life, but 35 years is a very long time to remember every episode!
Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2002, 02:41:50 AM »

I guess the mood can be set in certain productions so that the implausibility of such things doesn't occur to me...in horror movies where the suspense keeps building, I seldom stop to wonder why the dead guy poking through the dirt was schlepped six feet under in the potter's field without a box.  Good music can distract me, too...even now, the "hand pushing out of the soil" tactic works in Michael Jackson's "Thriller." :D

However, when the wealthy Collins family spends more on bandages than burial accoutrements, it does demand a LOT in the way of suspension of disbelief.

Cheers,

Linda

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2002, 02:47:42 AM »
I (as might be expected have many) picky complaints . . .

What is Angelique wearing on her head?  Yes, yes, I know it's supposed to be a head covering, but really, shouldn't have been a cap and wouldn't that have been more attractive than the doily she's sporting?

The really shoddy job of wrapping those contagious wounds on Jeremiah's face.

The fact that Vicki's dress looks like it came from a Victorian drama and not the Regency period.

That Angelique couldn't have just left well enough alone and not subjected us to all this crap about the shrinking ghost.

What is with Naomi's jewelry?  It's lovely and all, but ladies, even wealthy ones didn't go around wearing all them rocks early in the morning?  

And like our Josette, I'm wondering if they just dumped Jeremiah two feet under the ground (I'm envisioning a wheelbarrow tipping over and it's not a pretty image  >:()

Did I mention the doily/antimacassar thingy?

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2002, 08:08:29 AM »
I did call them "picky" complaints!!  And I did say that the hand scene was very effective, as are the various other incidents of that type that occur throughout the show.  However, every time it happens, I keep wondering what happened to the coffin!!  They certainly have enough of them around for the vampires.

Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2002, 08:11:09 AM »
And, while I'm at it - - - aside from the fact that we don't know how Jeremiah suddenly ended up with a head wound, the way his face was totally wrapped up as he was dying was wild enough!!  However, are we to believe that he wasn't "fixed up" after his death for burial, but they just dumped him in the ground, bloody bandages and all?!!!!!!

Josette

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2002, 08:23:36 AM »
I don'tthink you are being picky Josette but pretty
funny!  Ialways laughed at the stupid bandages he was wearing too. I mean Iwould be pretty mad if I was
him (that they buried me like that )and would go after the undertaker first!!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2002, 04:14:41 PM »
"Did I mention the doily/antimacassar thingy?"

Oh, gee, thanks Luciaphil.....
Now I'm going to be laughing myself silly every time I see the "thingy" on her head.

Speaking of stupid things on women's heads....back in '1967' (before Vicky ripped open the fabric of time and wandered off to the past) those ribbon bows they were all wearing were enough to gag you.  

They were bad enough on Vicky and Maggie, but can you imagine a sophisticated woman like Liz/Joan Bennet walking around with a baby bow in her hair these days?

Needless to say, of course, I'm old enough to have lived through that particular fashion, and I remember thinking some of my teachers looked like idiots with those things in their hair.
Raineypark

Dylan Thomas

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2002, 08:51:24 PM »
Raineypark,

You are talking about the Minnie Mouse head fashion. Looks like we both come from that generation!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2002, 08:57:43 PM »
 " You are talking about the Minnie Mouse head fashion. Looks like we both come from that generation!"

Oh yes...and the minute the white go-go boots show up, I'm going to shriek and faint!  LOL
Raineypark
Dylan Thomas