Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0711  (Read 697 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0711
« on: May 27, 2014, 03:54:46 PM »
Robservations #711

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0711

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 02:46:46 PM »
Angelique is back, I suppose by popular demand. She enjoys watching Evan's futile attempts to take command of the situation but then grows tired and strikes him mute. She is much more interested in Quentin, especially when she finds out they have a common enemy.

Angelique decides that the cottage is the perfect hangout for her. But Quentin (obviously with other plans in mind) says, My dear Angelique, believe me, we are grateful to you for your help. We don't want to argue with you or upset you. But perhaps some other place--you see, I am only trying to avoid trouble. It’s too late for that, Quentin, she says lightly. If you wanted to avoid trouble, you should never have sent for me! She laughs again at this classic Angelique line. Folding her arms, she fades from their sight. Evan and Quentin rush over to where she was standing, but she has utterly vanished.

Sandor stops by and tells them that Jamison is back home and in bed. Evan barks at him to finish forging the will. Sandor pauses to eavesdrop for a moment until he is discovered and sent packing. The two men discuss Angelique. How did she know about my women? Quentins asks. Perhaps just by looking at you, Evan suggests sarcastically. Or perhaps she knows more about all of us than she’s telling. Quentin observes, She made sure we know nothing about her. Evan opines, I think we should fight Barnabas without her, send her back to the dark hell she came from before the situation gets worse. You know there is no way of sending her back, Quentin points out, not for us, not against her: Whoever she is, whatever reason she has come here, wherever she is right now--our Angelique, our ally, our beautiful, black-hearted child of the angels is planning to stay! The invisible Angelique laughs in confirmation. Startled and seriously scared, Evan and Quentin jump up and try to discover the source of the sound.

We close in on Sandor, hard at work at the Old House. Barnabas quietly moves behind him, looking over his shoulder, and says, Good evening, Sandor. Sandor quickly covers up his work when Barnabas asks, What are you doing that’s so interesting? Sandor crumples the paper and replies, It’s just a gypsy game. But when he tries to throw the paper into the fire, Barnabas seizes his wrist in an unhumanly strong grip and pries the paper from Sandor’s hand. Barnabas straightens the paper out, reads it and comments, It seems to be worth your time--or worth it to someone. Terrified, Sandor babbles, I couldn’t help it, it just happened, I can get out of it! If you forget it, Mr. Barnabas, I’ll forget it! I don’t think the people who hired you will let you forget it, Barnabas observes. Sandor babbles again: I don’t know what to do, I don’t want no more trouble, I’ve had enough trouble in my life. That might happen to someone who forges wills, Barnabas comments dryly. Sandor says imploringly, If you go to the authorities.... You will go to jail, Barnabas finishes. And bring disgrace on my family! Sandor blubbers, starting to cry. Oh, we mustn’t have that now, must we, Barnabas says, mock-soothingly--and smiling. [It really is a funny scene, and both guys are obviously enjoying themselves.] I’ll keep the authorities out of it, he decides. You are a remarkably talented fellow who just needs guidance for his pen. Tell me what you want me to do! Sandor practically begs his master. In due time, Barnabas assures him. Right now I’m going to Collinwood. And I am going out into the nice, sweet night, Sandor says, getting to his feet. There is not even a breeze out there, he adds as he practically runs out the door. Barnabas has probably forgotten him already as he gazes thoughtfully into the distance. He throws the paper into the fireplace, picks up Josette’s music box from the mantelpiece and leaves.

The moment Barnabas leaves, the curtains billow out--even though the window is closed! The breeze knocks a lamp and a vase onto the floor, and the next moment, Angelique is standing in the middle of the room--the very room where Barnabas shot her and she cursed him in retaliation so long ago. It has been a long time, Barnabas, she tells her absent spouse, long enough for you to have put me out of your mind. Oh, but you are still in my thoughts. Gazing up at Josette’s portrait, she continues contemptuously, And so are you! You! With your innocent eyes. They were always so startled when they looked on evil. Well, here it is again! Look at me again! I am Angelique--and I hate you! Angelique laughs again as she fades from sight.

As Evan walks Quentin back to the Great House, they discuss the situation. Quentin wants to be Master of Collinwood ASAP, but Evan reminds him that a good forgery will take some time. Evan says, You are not to worry about Sandor--he will do anything if paid enough. _She_ will not want money, Quentin notes. That is not what interests her. No, it isn’t, Evan agrees grimly. What is it she wants? Quentin wonders. What is it that satisfies her--our Angelique? Evan has no answer.

Rachel (wearing a sober, high-necked black gown) has forgotten her place and her job description so far as to fall asleep on the drawing-room sofa. Thus she presents an irresistible temptation to Quentin, who quietly puts his hands over her face. Rachel gives a little shriek and sits up, then sees it’s Quentin and gasps. Quentin sits down and scoots over to sit against her. You startled me, Rachel tells him. But not  unpleasantly, Quentin hopes. No--yes, says the flustered Rachel. I was out walking earlier. By yourself? he asks with concern. You met no one? No, I didn’t, she replies. Why do you ask? Perhaps I wanted to keep you for myself, Quentin answers lightly. Is that selfish of me? I think it’s unrealistic, Rachel replies. Quentin has to agree as he covers her eyes again, then strokes her hair. I’m giving you a chance to decide if you found my little surprise pleasant, he says as he gazes deeply into her eyes. Then he turns to see Barnabas standing in the doorway, glaring at him. Quentin very deliberately caresses Rachel’s cheek before acknowledging Barnabas’s presence. Rachel jumps up, startled. Having made his point to Barnabas, Quentin more slowly gets up to stand behind her. Then he moves to the drawing-room door as he comments, No night is too dark, no hour too late, to keep my cousin from visiting. I was just getting ready for bed. Don’t let me detain you, Barnabas tells him pleasantly. Quentin adds hopefully, Judith has also retired, if you were coming to see her. No, Barnabas replies, I came to see Rachel. Then sit, Quentin tells him, and have some brandy--and make sure Miss Drummond has some too. Her cheek was quite cool a few minutes ago. Then he says goodnight and leaves.

Seeing Rachel’s embarrassment, Barnabas asks, Is it too late for you? [Oh, yes, it is!] He presents her with the music box as Angelique watches from just outside the window, a look of pure hate on her face. Barnabas doesn’t see her, but something troubles his keen vampire senses, because he walks over to the window. He looks out but sees nothing. He almost blows his cover when he says that he loved Josette but corrects himself just in time.

Meanwhile, Angelique has stormed back to the cottage and unwraps a parcel that perhaps traveled with her from-- wherever. It proves to contain a little knitted doll, and Angelique gets right to work.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 08:31:26 AM »
One of the best episodes ever.  It's Violet Welles' debut, I think.  Or did we see her name on a couple ghost-Quentin episodes?  It all has a sort of epic air to it.  It certainly revalidates Angelique perfectly, in mere moments, after months in 1968 where the character was weakened and made silly.  The language in this ep was wonderful to experience.  Afterward, it felt as if it had gone on for an hour, not 21 minutes.  It's like a film, that's how everyone involved seem to view it, not a soap episode that will be forgotten tomorrow and never shown again.

It starts with Evan, Quentin, and Sandor all just standing there, waiting for their cue to start as it turns out.  Never mind...  I love their toying with us with the most fleeting, sneaky, teasing glance of Ang's face in the fire, just before the theme starts!  How many viewers screamed in delight just then?!  Evan seems to have dyed all his hair black for the redo.  Well, I can't speak for absolutely ALL of his hair, though I imagine Mr. Hanley as being very thorough...

Ang: "What a lovely night... for the unquiet dead... and the living who seek their help!"  I may Google the origin of "unquiet dead"... what a way for Angelique to refer to herself!  And how well she spoke the line!  Delicious....  There's a classic sort of hightened reality to this scene.  You weren't the one we were expecting, Hanley tells her.  A personal appearance from the Devil, I suppose he was after...  I'm not surprised that Satan delegates.  Who's Evan think he is, anyway?  Quentin rises to the occasion, with his own very well-written and acted description of himself to Ang. 

Also pleasurable for the original audience I'm sure: witnessing Ang smite Humbert, after Nick having dragged Ang through the mud so to speak, for so long!  It didn't hit me at first, that's how good these actors are.  Humbert is not Nick here, not self assured and powerful.  Hanley is a Blair wanna-be, who doesn't stand a chance of becoming Satan's right hand man, and that's why he's a much better character for me.

"If you wanted to avoid trouble, you should never have sent for me!"  Perfect.

Did Barnabas materialize right next to Sandor, forging the will, just offscreen?  That's Blair's trick!  Lots of shifting between scenes in this episode, some scenes last mere seconds... one of the best.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 07:04:53 PM »
I've returned to posting another round of new 1897 screen caps and/or set ups beginning with a first batch for this ep on the "Caption This! - 1897" and the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - 1897" boards.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 04:44:27 PM »
When I saw this screen capture:

I knew immediately that it had to be posted on the Caption This! and Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) boards for this ep.  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 10:51:33 AM »
That's a good one MB.  I immediately thought of Madeleine Kahn in Young Frankenstein singing "Oh Sweet Mystery of Life, at last I've found you..."!  A lot of these caps make one feel as if he's missed a whole lot of interesting DS scenes...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor