Author Topic: Robservations 11/1/02 - #710/711 - An Old Enemy Joins the Party  (Read 1605 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 11/1/02 - #710/711 - An Old Enemy Joins the Party
« on: October 31, 2002, 11:36:02 PM »
710 - (Thayer David) - Barnabas Collins remains in a deep trance. He has employed the mysterious powers of the I-Ching and gone through the door to the infinite, hoping to find the defeat the spirit who haunts Collinwood. But beyond the door, he has been transported back in time to the year 1897, a time of intrigue and terror for all who lived at Collinwood. On this night, one man searches the halls and corridors of Collinwood, haunted by one of his own evil deeds.

Grandmama lays in her coffin, aiming a huge grin at her grandson. "No, you're dead!" he whispers. "You're dead!" Grossed out, Quentin backs away from the grinning apparition and races to his room. At first, he still hears the heartbeat, but then it blessedly stops. He sits down, exhausted. It's five minutes past 3 AM. Quentin falls asleep in the chair and awakens with a start. He hears Edith's voice moaning, a slamming door. "Ohhhhhhhhh!" cries the plaintive old lady's voice. Quentin covers his ears, sits back down, then hears her say, "Quentin!  Quentin!" His doorknob turns. Quentin's lips quiver with fear. His grandmother enters, grinning, telling him he shouldn't have taken her will. I didn't, I swear! He babbles. You had the child take it, she accuses, I was there, I saw him take it. But you're dead, he wails. She orders him to return it, or she won't rest--give back the will, she commands, advancing on him. You can't have it, he says, approaching her with strangling-intended hands--"You can't leave me with nothing!" He begins to strangle her--I deserve more than you gave me, he cries, I'm not going to spend the rest of my life begging from the rest of the family--I'm going to get my fair share! Saliva spills from his lips as the old lady sits in his chair, grinning, grinning, forever grinning.

Quentin buries his grandmother and tells her she's going to stay dead. "Goodbye, Grandmother, and good riddance." He begins to hear the heartbeat again; a hand reaches from the earth he just tamped down with a shovel--the hand wearing Edith's huge ruby ring! Quentin awakens, crying, "NO! You're dead, you're dead!" He realizes it was just a dream--she really is dead. He's smiling as he rises from his chair, looks out the window at the rising sun. There's a knock at his door. It's Evan, who surveys his messed up room with shock. Quentin explains that he had a mysterious caller--what are you doing here so early? I felt it best we conduct our business before the rest of the family was up and about, says Evan. Quentin admits, I have the will, but I'm not so sure we should go through with this. Evan asks if he wants to be a pauper the rest of his life. No, says Quentin--there is someone who suspects us, the man who claims himself a cousin--Barnabas Cousin--er, Collins--he accused me of having the will--I did deny it, but he said Edith wouldn't rest until I give it back. Evan reminds him the old lady is dead, but Quentin says there have been some strange goings-on since Barnabas arrived--last night, I could have sworn I heard a heartbeat, pounding through the house. Impossible, says Evan. You'd be the last person to say such things, says Quentin, given your "devil callings." Be quiet, orders Evan. I know the supernatural is possible, says Quentin.  Evan asks if this cousin has supernatural powers. Quentin doesn't know, but there is something strange about him--why did he come here now? And why did he suspect Quentin of taking the will? Evan says he doesn't sound like the kind of man one can afford to have as an enemy. An enemy he is, says Quentin, I'm sure of that much. Evan says they should have a ceremony tonight, at the cottage--perhaps we can summon a friend of ours to deal with Barnabas. What friend? asks Quentin. Someone from the flames of the netherworld, suggests Evan. Are you serious? demands Quentin.
Of course, if their plea is strong enough, says Evan, the powers of darkness will respond--to make our pleas strong enough, bring Jamison this time, a symbol of innocence, our sacrificial lamb, so to speak. I don't want anything to happen to Jamison, warns Quentin. We'll just use the boy, Evan assures him, he won't be harmed--we won't know if it works until we try--if you want to do something about Barnabas, meet me at 8, with the boy--give me the will, I'll get Sandor. Nervously, Quentin turns over the will. Don't be so worried, urges Evan--in a few weeks, you will be the master of Collinwood. Quentin grins slightly at this happy thought.

Sandor agrees to do the job on the will for Quentin and Evan. One more thing, says Evan--your price? I must decide how difficult the job will be, says Sandor, then tell you the price. No, says Evan, I don't want you to finish forging the will, then be unable to agree on a price. Sandor laughs, but Evan is concerned the gypsy might get it into his head to blackmail them into meeting his price. It makes me sad to think you don't trust me, teases Sandor, who finally says he wants $500 in gold. Quentin calls this insane. Sandor assures him, after I finish making the new will, that much will seem a mere pittance to you. Evan agrees. Sandor reminds them, I don't have to do it at all--you'd have to travel far to find a calligrapher as skilled as I am. Evan tells him they have a deal. It will be painstaking work, says Sandor, fine, intricate hand--I must perfect her handwriting and will let you know tomorrow. Sandor bounces the will off Evan's shoulder, both of them laughing triumphantly. Sandor leaves. Quentin asks Evan if Sandor can be trusted. Considering what we want done, Evan reminds him, we don't have much choice, do we? Quentin agrees. Evan asks him to relax. I can't, says Q, that dream seemed so real. Just dreams, says Evan. Jamison comes rushing in--time for Edith's services, he says. Quentin had forgotten, but oh, yeah, do me a favor, Jamison, and tell Judith I'm not feeling well--nothing serious, but I was ill last night, and I don't feel strong enough to attend the services. I hope you feel better, says Jamison. Let me know when the services are over, says Quentin. Jamison promises to do so, and leaves. "You really are frightened, aren't you?" asks Evan. Yes, says Quentin, and will be until I know the old lady has been buried. We must do something about Barnabas right away, says Evan; he's really had a terrible effect on you. I'm all right, says Quentin. Evan says, I must be attending the funeral, one of us really should--I'll see you tonight.

At the cottage, Sandor practices forging Edith's handwriting. Jamison enters, taking off what looks like a tri-cornered hat, and tells Sandor he didn't think anyone would be here. Sandor quickly turns over the papers he's working on, and asks Jamison what he wants. Nothing, says the boy, I was going back to Collinwood--I stopped here because I often come to play, he explains. I was here cleaning things up, lies Sandor. Jamison crosses his arms and asks what for. I don't ask questions, says Sandor--I just do what I'm paid to do. Jamison wonders how Quentin, who has no money, could pay him. Sandor says he shouldn't ask so many questions--do you understand what I mean? No, responds Jamison belligerently. He finds a box of black candles and opens it, to Sandor's consternation. I hoped it was candy, says the boy. Sandor advises him to return to Collinwood--it's going to be DARK SOON! chortles Sandor nastily, successfully scaring the boy into leaving him to his forgery.

Quentin paces his righted room. Jamison comes in and tells him everything went well, it was very nice. The minister said nice things about Edith. And then she was. . . "Buried?" asks Quentin. Yes, Jamison says. Quentin sinks into his chair, relieved--I'm all right now, he assures him. Quentin asks Jamison to join him in a long walk. The boy agrees, but says he has to be home before dinner--my father gets upset when I'm late. After dinner, I have a surprise for you, promises Quentin. Hint--the two of us will take a look into the future tonight. Jamison is excited--with a crystal ball? I can't tell you just how, says Q, but you must promise that you won't be frightened--at first, what you will see might be rather strange--do you trust me?
Yes, says Jamison. What about Mr. Hanley? Adds Quentin. Jamison wants to know what Hanley has to do with this. He knows a lot more than people think, magic words, says Quentin, and when he speaks, visions of the future appear--it's kind of a game, there's nothing more to it than that--a secret game, and you must keep it secret. Jamison agrees, very excited to be part of this adventure.

Dusk. A fire burns in the cottage grate. Evan tells Sandor they'll be here soon. Sandor has been setting up black candles around the room, most curious about what they're going to do. Don't be curious, orders Evan, just do as you're told. Evan answers the door and admits Quentin and Jamison. Quentin told me we're going to see the future, says Jamison. Evan cautions him--it doesn't always work. Jamison asks about the table in front of the fireplace. That's more of an altar, says Evan--look directly into the flame, and while I'm talking, you're to concentrate very hard and keep looking into the flame--or the spell will be broken. Jamison asks what Quentin will be doing. I will be looking with you into the flame, replies his uncle. Jamison is pleased. Evan takes a glass of something and holds it over Jamison's head, addressing himself and those here with him to the powers of darkness--I call upon the flame to summon you, upon the raven and the viper and all the dark creatures of nature to draw you like a rising mist from out of the darkness of the earth--rise and help us, for there is an enemy in our midst and he must be destroyed! Rise, rise and help us! And we shall repay you with the gift of innocence. Thunder crashes. "No, stop!" yells Jamison. Evan puts a hand on the child's shoulder, ordering him to be quiet and not break the spell.
"It's going to be here soon--I can feel it!" cries Jamison. Quentin demands to know what he's talking about. Evan orders him quiet. "It's a woman!" yells Jamison, terrified--I can't stay, I'm too frightened! He rushes from the cottage. Evan orders Sandor to go after Jamison; the gypsy races after the child. Quentin stares into the fire, then says, "Evan, we must get out of here." Evan assumes he means to go after Jamison, and assures him Sandor will find the boy. We've gone too far, says Quentin--look at the flames! Evan does, eyes widening. A skeletal head topped with blonde curls is rising from the fire! (Guess who makes her first 1897 appearance in the next episode?)

NOTES: Such an amazing episode, huh? Truly. Dirk seems to be an ancestor of Ned, with his pummeling poor Beth around. On the other hand, he IS right about Quentin, and jealous that she apparently prefers the bad boy to the one with good intentions. Using an innocent boy in a black magic ritual? Evan and Quentin, who is supposed to be his loving uncle, deserve many demerits for doing that to Jamison. Loved the way Barnabas toyed with Quentin. Given how much Sandor supposedly cared for Magda, it's rather disappointing to see his greed getting in the way of doing the right thing. Forging her will is really a sacrilege. Beth really does have the hots for Quentin, and like the moth to the flame, she will be swallowed up by her feelings. Too bad, she's very nice, classy and deserves better--than both Quentin and Dirk (who at least seems to care
about her in some way, albeit selfishly).

711 - (KLS) - This is no ordinary night at Collinwood. For once before, in 1897, two desperate men and a child as their unwitting pawn sought the devil's help. Now, incredibly, time has reeled backwards, and that horrifying night is to be lived again.

As Evan and Quentin stare into the fire, a face appears--Angelique! Laughing, she grows larger, finally joining the two men. Evan asks her who she is--speak to us--we can send you back! I'm not so sure you can send me back, counters Angelique, speaking of the lovely night, with the unquiet dead, and the living who seek their help. Fingering the lace at the wrist of her gown, she asks what time it is, and is told midnight. She asks what year. 1897, supplies Evan. A great many years have passed, she says. Since when? asks Evan. She walks around the room, not replying. Who are you? he asks. Obviously the one you sent for, she respond. He introduces himself as Evan Hanley, lawyer. Quentin introduces himself--"a man of larger expectations than life has offered me." Evan is annoyed at her lack of answers, but she's delighted to hear Quentin is a Collins and this place, Collinwood. She grins and asks Quentin what life hasn't offered him that he wants. Quite a few things, he says, but an enemy stands in my way--Barnabas. "Collins?" she finishes. Yes, he says. Angelique says often those who are closest to us become our bitterest enemies. (She oughta know.) Evan wants to interrupt, but Ang, annoyed, says she won't permit it. She turns to Quentin and thanks him for helping to bring her here--and from now on, we share the same enemy. Quentin thanks her. Evan, however, warns him that they can't trust her until they know what she's up to. He wants to ask her a few questions, but she retorts, "My dear, lawyer, I don't think so." There's nothing you need to know, she says, except that I possess some mysterious powers which I'll gladly demonstrate. I'm not interested, he says. I have some convenient control over people, she says--would you like to see it? No, I would NOT, barks Evan. He finds himself choking, unable to speak or breathe. Quentin watches in fascination and horror as Evan grabs his throat. "What were you saying, LAWYER?" she asks-- "You have to come a little closer, it's difficult to understand you." Quentin asks what she did to him. Nothing more than what I do to my friends when they annoy me, she says--"With my enemies, I can be ever more ruthless!" Quentin assures her he believes her, and asks that she release Evan. She agrees, since we all are on the same side--"My side." She waves her hands before Evan and his breathing is restored. I like the cottage, says Ang,  I want to stay here. What if someone sees you here? objects Quentin. I can prevent that, she assures him, but what if they do? She caresses his shoulder--you've brought women here before, and if I'm discovered, I'll simply be another of Quentin's women--"or, am I not beautiful enough for that?" You're very beautiful, whoever you are, he says. She introduces herself as Angelique, and feels they have reached an understanding--I'll say nothing about the ceremonies you and Evan performed, and you will say nothing about me--our little secret. She smiles at the men and tells them if they want to see her, they can find her here. Evan, still nursing his aching throat, wants to pursue this situation. Angelique warns him not to, or he'll be quiet for a very long time!
Quentin begs Evan to let him handle this. "My dear Angelique," he says, we are grateful to you and glad for your help, but perhaps another place--I'm trying to avoid trouble. To which Ang retorts, a classic line, "If you wanted to avoid trouble, you should never have sent for me," she laughs. Her body fades and disappears. Both men race to the spot where she was standing, but there's no question that she's gone!

Evan and Quentin search the cottage but can't find Angrelique. Where did she go, and when will she reappear? they wonder. We have no way of knowing that, says Quentin. Evan hopes she isn't here to make trouble for them. Quentin reminds him she said she'd help them. For a person of your blemished behavior, you're curiously innocent, snarls Evan. Sandor returns. Quentin starts to ask if he saw Angelique, but Evan quickly substitutes "the boy" for what Q was about to say. Jamison is fine, Sandor assures them, safely home and quiet--what about your ceremony? Evan says it was a total failure--nothing happened. Too bad, sympathizes Sandor, given all the signs of what went before. . . Our ceremonies aren't always as rewarding as we would like them to be says Evan, as he and Quentin shoot warning looks at each other. Who do you think was out there? asks Sandor. Evan and Quentin order him to stop asking questions--when will you start forging the will?
When I'm ready, says Sandor. Evan suggests he go GET ready. Sandor grandly assures them he's the best calligrapher there is. Evan says, while I admire your self-esteem, I'll withhold mine until you finish the job--now go. Sandor exits. Quentin starts to speak, but Evan shushes him and opens the door--to find Sandor standing there, attempting to eavesdrop. Evan again tells him to leave, not to listen. Sandor grins, bows and goes. Quentin suggests they imagined Angelique. I didn't imagine being helpless and speechless, says Evan. If she sees something, says Quentin--how did she know about my women? "Perhaps just by looking at you," says Evan sarcastically--or perhaps she knows more about all of them than she's telling. Yet we know nothing about her, says Quentin. Evan suggests they fight Barnabas without her--send her back to the dark hell she came from!--we must try, before things get worse. Quentin says there's no way to send her back, and they know it, not for them, not against her--whatever reason she's come here, wherever she is right now, our Angelique, our ally, our beautiful black-hearted child of the angels, is planning to stay. Angelique's laughter fills the cottage and both men stand, staring around them, scared as hell.

As Sandor works on forgery practice, he finds Barnabas standing over him, greeting him good evening. Sandor isn't happy at being caught, and tells Barnabas he's working on an old gypsy game. Sandor crumples it up and is about to toss it into the fire, but Barnabas grabs it before he can do so, opens it, reads. "Seems to be worth your time, or worth it to someone," comments Barn shrewdly. Sandor says I couldn't help it, it just happened--I can get out of it, forget it--"You forget it, I forget it," says Sandor. As simple as that, says Barnabas, but the people who hired you won't let you forget it. Sandor says I don't know what to do, I don't want anymore trouble in my life. Barnabas says he can imagine what happens to someone who forges wills. . .
Sandor doesn't want to be turned over to the authorities and go to jail. Sandor covers his face and seems to cry, sobbing, "And bring disgrace on my family!" We mustn't have that, says Barnabas soothingly (and humorously, this scene was pretty funny, and Barn is grinning) Barnabas agrees to keep the authorities out of it, and admires what a talented fellow Sandor is--you just need "guidance" for your pen. Tell me what you want me to do, begs Sandor. I'm going to Collinwood, says Barnabas. I'm going out for fresh air, says Sandor, and races out the door. Barnabas tosses the paper into the fireplace, picks up Josette's music box and leaves the house, too. The curtains begin to blow over the closed window and two pieces fall from the mantle to the floor. Angelique appears in the room. "It's been a long time, Barnabas," she says, "long enough for you to have put me out of your mind. Oh, but you're still in my thoughts." She looks to Josette's portrait. "And so are you, with your innocent eyes that were always so startled when they looked on evil--well here it is again! Look at me again--I am Angelique, and I hate you!" And she laughs and disappears.

Collinwood - Evan leaves Quentin at the door of what "will someday be YOUR house." If Sandor does his job well, and quickly, says Quentin. Evan assures him he will. He must do it quickly, says Quentin nervously. More important that he do it perfectly, says Evan. Quentin wants it over and done with. Evan assures him Sandor will do what they want if paid enough. Angelique doesn't want money, says Quentin, and Evan agrees. Quentin wonders what DOES satisfy Angelique. . .  (Barnabas!)

At Collinwood, Rachel lies asleep on the sofa. Quentin covers her eyes, waking her. You startled me, she says. "But not unpleasantly?" asks the hunk. No. . .yes, says Rachel, flustered--I was out walking. "By yourself?" he asks, concerned--"You met no one?" No, I didn't, she replies--why do you ask? I wanted to keep you for myself, selfishly, he says. She calls that unrealistic. He covers her eyes again, giving her a chance to decide if she found his surprise pleasant. Barnabas stands in the doorway, glowering. Quentin spots him, and deliberately caresses Rachel's cheek before acknowledging him. Rachel stands, again flustered. Quentin remarks, no night is too dark nor hour too late to keep my cousin from visiting--I was just getting ready for bed and Judith has retired, if you were coming to see her. No, says Barnabas, I'm here to see Rachel. Rachel is surprised. Sit, Quentin invites him, have some brandy, and see that Miss Drummond has some, too--her cheek was quite cool a few moments ago (DIG!). He takes his leave. Barnabas asks Rachel if it's too late for her. She assures him it isn't. I have a gift for her, he says, and hands her Josette's music box. She admires how lovely it is. He tells her it belonged to Josette and asks her to open it. She does; the pretty melody plays. Outside the window, Angelique spies on them, looking downright pissed. Barn seems to sense a presence and looks out the window, but Angelique is gone. He tells Rachel, I loved Josette very deeply--does that surprise you? Didn't she live a long time ago? asks Rachel. Yes, says Barn, and in the brief time she was here, she was loved deeply by my ancestor--I feel a kind of commitment to her myself--I hope you understand. Yes, I think I can, agrees Rachel, smiling.

Angelique, furious, returns to the cottage. She searches the cottage, finally finding a length of yarn, which she unravels.

Rachel doesn't understand--you said Josette Collins lived here briefly--what happened to her? She died strangely, mysteriously, answers Barnabas.

Angelique has knitted a little doll from the yarn (and in record time, too)! "You aren't as pretty as she is," says Ang to the doll, "but you'll do, little doll, to make her suffer."

The original Barnabas Collins must have been distraught when Josette died, says Rachel. He never got over the shock of it, and couldn't accept her death, says Barn--he had to believe he'd find her again someday, it was the only way he could go on living. (They're seated in the love seat by now.) He asks her to play the music box again. She does.

Angelique talks of the pretty, fragile little neck on her doll as she ties a cord around its throat. "It's almost a shame to hurt it, isn't it," she says, yet pulls as tightly as she can, face contorted with rage.

Rachel falls forward, alarming Barnabas. What's wrong? He asks. I don't know, she says, I need fresh air. Rachel rises from the loveseat, then and collapses.

Angelique, who is still wearing the wedding ring Barnabas placed on her hand, whispers in the doll's non-existent ear.
Rachel speaks the words, "Widows Hill, Widows' Hill, please don't make it happen again!" Barnabas, realizing the import of these words, says, "Josette! No! Oh, no!"

NOTES: Love Sandor! He really is fun. Having Angelique thrown into the mix (and didn't she give it to the Blair look-alike, Evan, with relish and delight? Didn't she seem to despise him on sight?) can only be fun, fun, fun. Angelique is back to her old tricks, doing nasty things to Josette clones. In 1795 she strangled Barnabas himself, in 1897, she goes for the potential girlfriend. It's really pretty nasty of Ang to hate Josette so much; Josette was kind to Angelique, and this anger comes strictly because both women loved the same man. Lighten up, Angie!

Quentin is flirting with Rachel--is it strictly to make Barnabas jealous, or does he have other intentions toward her? The man seems willing to go after anything in a skirt! He's a cad, of course, but he sure is yummy!

Will Rachel expire as Angelique strangles the yarn-doll? Does Barnabas realize who must be hanging around, with this happening?

Isn't this a fun storyline?

Love, Robin

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
Re: Robservations 11/1/02 - #710/711 - An Old Enemy Joins the Party
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2002, 02:13:29 AM »
Yes! Absolutely!! This is my favorite storyline of the show!!!
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

DVD

Re: Robservations 11/1/02 - #710/711 - An Old Enemy Joins the Party
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 11:40:15 PM »
DVD episodes for October 20th and 21st.
The 5th and 6th episodes on Set#13/Disc#2 (5th episode on MPI tape Volume #95, 1st episode on MPI tape Volume #96)