Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0709  (Read 658 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0709
« on: May 23, 2014, 04:40:02 PM »
Robservations #709

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0709

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:38:22 PM »
This is the beginning of Barnabas' meddling with history.  If they only handled 1897 as they did 1795 so we could see what happened originally.

As stated before, this should have been an information gathering time for Barnabas.

One thing I'll say about 1840 is at least we see what happened originally as Barnabas & Julia mainly stay on the sidelines.  Probably because DC had Lela Swift running the show.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 02:37:38 AM »
I'm not sure Barnabas got involved any more or less in 1840 than in 1897, and Vicki in 1795...?  Barnabas early on in 1840 was definitely a monkey wrench thrown into events, though we had already seen the result in 1970, as if that was "the first time around".  I somehow get the feeling we never saw original 1795 either.  Maybe that's because it was so different from Barnabas's account of those events to Julia before Vicki went.

Judith on Emily: "She raised us when our parents died."  In that case, do we know anything about Edith and her real relation to anyone else?  [spoiler]If she was the Edith we saw in 1840, with Gabriel as her husband, even if they'd lived, would Daniel ever have told either of them the Secret?[/spoiler]  Who were the parents of the 1897 siblings? 

Judith did love Emily, seemingly.  Quentin's anteroom (?) is very nice.  Too bad they just seemed to pretend it wasn't there, later.  I like Barnabas's finding the I Ching wands.  He's startled, and grabs them without thinking.  Something strange should have happened when he touched them... 

Welcome Dirk?  At least he's more interesting than any other Davis characters so far, just because the writing in general is so much better.  Still, he shows his Roger Davis-ness immediately, grabbing Beth's arm hard, seconds after first appearing onscreen.

Edith's haunting of Quentin begins, which must have been priceless for a lot of viewers, considering what we've seen of his future... Edith is gone from the coffin!  Or is she?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 05:52:23 AM »
Once present time Barnabas arrives in 1840, he more or less stays on the sidelines.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 02:49:19 PM »
We never do learn the names of Edith's son and daughter-in-law, who were Judith, Quentin, Edward, and Carl's parents. They seem to have died quite a long time ago, maybe when the four sibs were children.

[spoiler]Interesting question about 1840 Edith and Gabriel. I suspect that after murdering his wife, poor 1840 Daniel was too insane to tell anyone anything.[/spoiler]

Here's what I have on Quentin's rooms as they were in 1897: In the bedroom, i.e., the inner room, Quentin grips the will in one hand and the not yet antique phone in the other. [In those days, they had only party lines, so anyone in town could have listened in!] Can you talk? he asks Evan. [Yup, he actually says it!] I have the will--and I get nothing, he says in disgust. The gypsy was right. You must alert your man tonight so we can get started, he insists. Barnabas knocks on the outer door and identifies himself. Quentin tells Evan he has to go, hangs up and pockets the will. He walks from the bedroom into the former storage room. Now, in 1897, it’s a kind of library with bookcases along the walls and a table in the middle--and lets Barnabas in.

Barn tells Quentin, I think Edith is still here on this earth, Barnabas replies. Where I come from [Does he mean 1795? Or 1968?], there's a theory that when someone dies with business unfinished, their spirit lingers to finish it.

Barn meets Rachel and is captivated by yet another likeness of Josette. He tells about the "original" Barn, Josette, and Jeremiah, although he keeps his face turned from Rachel.

Quentin's rooms are trashed and he blames Barnabas by saying that Barn did more than a ghost should. Quentin knows this how? And do we ever find out who actually did the trashing? If it was Edith, she has acquired quite a bit of energy in the afterlife!

Dirk and Beth have another fight. Gosh, is he a boor. Was DC trying for a bit of Lady Chatterley's Lover?  [easter_grin]

Quentin hears the heartbeat.