Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0696  (Read 632 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0696
« on: May 06, 2014, 03:44:05 PM »
Robservations #696

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0696

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 03:08:01 AM »
Coming up on #700 fast... John Karlen VO.  He tries to adopt a mysterious voice in his city accent, and it doesn't work.  Willie and Maggie are now under the same roof... but the plot doesn't really have time for any entertaining trouble between them, so there isn't any.  Or did Willie mature?  Or get some cane whuppins? 

Nice lit-up profile shot of Amy, as she listens covertly to Barnabas and Willie in Collinwood, I think, and ponders what they're saying about resisting Q.  It's always good when we can feel we're seeing the character think, and great that a child actor can carry that off.

Barnabas tries to convince Maggie (in period costume) that she IS Maggie Evans!!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 04:59:36 PM »
DN really is outstanding throughout this episode!

Maggie tells Willie that the kids went back to Collinwood because they're possessed, not dumb. Willie still has a soft spot for her, so he doesn't argue. Barn orders (yep, no other word for it) her to stay at the Old House, which makes her fret. Willie, on the other hand, doesn't want to go.

Maggie's period gown is pale blue with an olive green belt--a color combination considered very fashionable at the time.

While Amy hides (yes, MT, great moment!), she hears Barnabas and Willie arguing. Amy is frightened back into her senses as she listens to them talk. She starts to emerge, perhaps to go after them. Somehow Quentin is aware of her defection. His music begins to play, compelling Amy to return to her hiding place, where she stays until Barn and Willie go upstairs.

Amy emerges from behind the curtains to find Quentin waiting. Once again he puts a finger to his lips, warning her to be silent. Evidently stronger now, he leans way, WAY down and actually whispers in her ear. Why do you want me to get her? Amy asks. You aren't going to scare her, are you? She's so afraid of you, Quentin! If I bring her to you, will you be nice to her? With a grin, Quentin nods his head. Having extracted this promise from him, Amy leaves Collinwood on her errand--which is to bring Maggie back with her.

Barnabas and Willie are very thorough, and their search eventually leads them to the West Wing and the storage room. Maggie followed him into that room once, Barnabas recalls. Willie obviously would rather be anywhere else. Perhaps there's a secret passage, Barnabas speculates. We know them all, Willie argues. They begin moving furniture around (well, Willie does the heavy lifting) in hopes of discovering a possible secret room. This is crazy! Willie complains as he works. Barnabas finds the paneled wall. He presses his hand against it to test it. It stays firmly in place, so they miss finding Quentin’s room--this time. Willie insists on leaving.

After Willie practically drags Barnabas out, Quentin materializes, evidently having secretly watched his enemy. Just seeing him appear is scary! I can remember my suspense ratcheting up with every ep. until the magic 700.

Maggie chases Amy back to Collinwood. Quentin is trying to harm you and David! Maggie argues. I don't believe that, Amy says. Maggie suddenly looks up fearfully. I sense a presence, she says. Where is he? By the fireplace, maybe, Amy replies teasingly. Maggie looks, sees nothing, and turns back to Amy. She is about to drag Amy out when Quentin appears before them. Maggie screams as she backs away from him. He closes the doors and glares at Maggie. Stay where you are! Maggie shouts at him. There’s nothing to be afraid of, Amy assures her. He just wanted to see you. Why? Maggie asks. Without waiting for an answer, she turns to Quentin and says angrily, Give us David and let us go! Quentin slowly shakes his head in refusal. Don’t be afraid, Amy tells Maggie as Quentin advances on them. Stay away from me! Don't touch me! Maggie screams, pulling Amy with her as she backs away.

An excellent heroine, Maggie screams so loudly that Barn and Willie can hear her all the way upstairs in the West Wing. They are equally horrified that Maggie is in the house at all. Willie practically drags Amy out, but she defiantly says she'll come back whenever she wants to because she belongs here.

One of my favorite moments in the whole series as Barn declares open war on Quentin: (JF was so good at these moments!) Barnabas steps into the foyer. Looking above him, he vows with quiet intensity: I will find them. Do you hear me? You won’t have any of them--not Maggie, not David, not Amy. I will take them from you. He walks upstairs to make one more search of the house alone. Quentin’s mocking laughter fills the air.

Barn finally finds Maggie, and it's enough to give embroidery a bad name....

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 04:41:18 PM »
I almost forgot to post that I've returned to posting another round of new The Werewolf-Quentin's Ghost screen caps and/or set ups beginning with a first batch for this ep on the "Caption This! - The Werewolf-Quentin's Ghost" and the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - The Werewolf-Quentin's Ghost" boards.  [ghost_smiley]