Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0665  (Read 1687 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0665
« on: March 22, 2014, 05:04:45 PM »
Robservations #665

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0665

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 10:46:08 AM »
Another plain-ol'-Thayer VO.  Angelique's a one-trick pony lately, fixating on burying people alive, first Liz, now Vicki.  Maybe she'll get that out of her system eventually... The 1795 heavy yellow screen-tinting has returned.  Farewell AGAIN, Angelique.  Barnabas has wised up, wasting no time and taking no risks based on trusting her.  As soon as he heard her improbable plans on having them, the happy couple, skip town first, without a chance for him to confirm Vicki's safety, no more Mr. Nice Guy.  He's more of a bold tactician now, finally.  The change at Wyndcliffe has solidified, and he can put it into action now.  Victoria is alive.

Natalie enters the story.  Should she know Ang is supposed to be dead?  She may now believe Ben's recantation of his testimony, and he said he buried her (facing no consequences?). I think.  Natalie opens the coffin, Barn leaves, she stays, Millicent comes in.  Natalie figures out that he's a vampire, with Millicent's help, and Natalie's taking in of all of it is well-acted.  If she'd followed Barnabas downstairs though, she could have seen his good intentions, and desire to (successfully) save Vicki.  Though she may still think Vicki's a witch.

Should Natalie be so surprised that Barnabas is alive?  She saw him in Josette's room I think.  Maybe that was only Vicki, but Barn too I thought.  I may be confusing that with the last 1796 incursion, where it definitely happens.

Barn does his Casablanca bit, nobly letting Vicki go away with Peter.  If only this had had AM in it.  Farewell Victoria Winters.  She really did lose herself in the past.  This may be the moment of Barnabas's complete reformation. 

Mausoleum.  Forbes and Natalie.  The former should still be under Barnabas's control.  Coffin not chained yet.  Nathan raises hammer to strike... Back to copyright 1968 again.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 11:03:52 PM »
At least Angelique has moved on from striking people mute or trying to stop their hearts. She seems to have gotten those tricks out of her system. And she thinks Barnabas will still keep his promise to stay with her because.…? In any case, Ben takes great relish in destroying her--again.

Millicent tells Natalie she saw Barn in the Tower Room. But I saw him die, Natalie protests--even though she didn't, it was Josette.

Alone with Vicki, Barnabas says he can't explain how she came back to life. He deduces, Apparently, Angelique did put a spell on you. When she was engulfed in flames, the spell was broken. If you hadn't destroyed-- Vicki begins with a shudder. Don’t even think about it, Barnabas breaks in hastily. Peter returns, putting on his jacket. We can leave now, he says. Everything is packed. [He has a jacket, but poor Vicki has only her red gown without even a shawl.] Barnabas advises them, You must go as quickly as possible and go as far away as you can. Peter grabs Vicki's hand and says, We're going out West--no one knows us out there, and we can get married. I'll never see either of you again, Barnabas says wistfully. Unknowingly repeating his mother’s words to Vicki he says, Be happy--both of you, he adds nobly. Peter says fervently, Thank you for all you’ve done. Vicki’s being alive is enough for me, Barnabas says--just go. Grinning, Peter shakes Barnabas' hand. Vicki asks him to leave her alone with Barnabas for a few moments. Peter Bradford is a much better winner than Jeff Clark, and he agrees after only a moment’s hesitation. Barnabas tells her, You mustn’t linger, so you'll be safe. I wanted to say goodbye to you, she says, softly. Solemnly she declares, No matter what happens, no matter where we go, I'll always feel close to you. No matter where I may be, I will always feel you are somewhere nearby. Deeply moved, Barnabas says, Goodbye, Vicki. Goodbye, Barnabas, she replies. Barnabas is even more moved when Vicki gives him the briefest and gentlest possible kiss on the cheek. Then Victoria Winters turns and walks out the door, out of Barnabas’s life, and out of Dark Shadows forever. Barnabas stares after her, selfless but utterly bereft.

So yes, MT, this probably is THE moment when his reformation becomes complete. Too bad Julia isn't there to see it.

Again, how do Millicent and Nathan manage to get out from under Barnabas's hold on them?

After sunrise, the countess returns to the mausoleum with a new ally--Nathan Forbes, who arrives with stake and mallet in hand. Nathan seems to have no memory of his previous experiences with the undead Barnabas. [Actually, he should be trying to kill Natalie!] Are you sure you know what you’re doing? he asks. I do, she assures him. I had you released from prison to help me, but you can always go back there. I don't want that, Nathan says. Then do what must be done, she insists. [But again, how can he do this, being Barnabas' victim?] Natalie opens the secret door and enters the inner room, with Nathan following. You were telling the truth, he gasps as he stares in amazement at the coffin resting on its plinth. Of course, Natalie says. I wouldn't lie. Open the coffin, she orders him. He hesitates. I thought you were a brave man, Natalie comments drily. Open it. Nathan obeys and is even more amazed at the sight of Barnabas, apparently asleep with his hands crossed over his chest--and utterly helpless. You see? Natalie says. He can't harm you now. No, Nathan agrees. Destroy him, she hisses fiercely in his ear. Nathan carefully positions the stake over Barnabas’s heart and raises the mallet to strike. Blackout. We hear a clang....

For those who care, the next episode is no. 666.....

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 03:43:45 AM »
Does this Peter know he is Jeff Clark in the future? Or does this Vicki, for that matter?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 11:33:19 AM »
Does this Peter know he is Jeff Clark in the future? Or does this Vicki, for that matter?

I guess that part makes a little sense.  Vicki does, since she told Barnabas she had been back to the time she'd come from.  He'd never told her that he was 1968 Barnabas now.  Peter has not died yet, has not made the journey to 1968, and so knows nothing of that future.  I've now lost that sense I thought it all made...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 02:03:58 PM »
Dom, I admit I never thought of asking that question! I guess Vicki knows that Jeff = Peter. He may know too, because after all he did take her back to 1796. But now that she's there, he doesn't have to go get her from 1969.

It's all too confusing for me....  [snow_huh]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 07:03:05 PM »
Sorry to see Vickie go. Another link to the beginning gone and storyline potential wasted.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 07:09:01 PM »
I wonder if anyone's tried to link her final fate to her beginnings? As if this is what was supposed to happen.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 10:19:40 PM »
Well, she did lose herself in the past, as Burke Two warned about, though that's not really the beginning.  If she propagated the later Collins family that would do it, but she doesn't seem headed that way.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 07:14:43 PM »
The first batch of screen caps and/or set ups have been posted for this ep on the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - 1796_3" and "Caption This! - 1796_3" boards.  [easter_smiley]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 05:49:34 AM »
How did 1795 suddenly turn into 1796 (later in the series it will be routinely referred to as 1797)?

Makes me want to yell back at the screen everytime I hear it.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 12:13:02 PM »
I had an odd feeling that if the show had continued, the year was next going to be 1798.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 06:46:32 PM »
Maybe if the show went on long enough, it might have come full circle and Vicky eventually would have been transported back to 1966.  [easter_cheesy]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 07:34:18 PM »
I thought they could have done a Dead of Night/Dallas bit which would have had Vicki wake up on the train, on her way to Maine.
Fade Away and Radiate