Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0661  (Read 816 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0661
« on: March 18, 2014, 05:12:52 PM »
Robservations #661

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0661

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 06:27:29 PM »
Well, okay, this episode consists mainly of flashbacks to Barn's last night in 1795/6/whatever. But it's so well done that I enjoyed it thoroughly when I saw it.

No one seems to realize that if Vicki had been hanged as a witch, she never would have been buried in consecrated ground.

The unspoken message here is that Barnabas has grown to trust Julia implicitly. His pain and shame are ever fresh, but he spares himself nothing as he begins to speak, at last revealing to his dear friend the whole story of the end of his past.

JC is even more hateful as the duplicitous Nathan Forbes. Even now, Barnabas feels a grim relish in relating the story of Forbes's demise. Since JB presumably off doing a play, we don't get to see Naomi's last moments either. But it's always a treat to see TD's wonderful portrayal of Ben and LE's equally wonderful Joshua, especially in their scenes together. We see Ben finish chaining the coffin and bidding his master a final good-bye.

Now in the present and still at the grave site, Barnabas finishes his narrative, telling Julia, And there I stayed, in that mausoleum prison, for almost two hundred years--until the night Willie Loomis broke in and opened my coffin and released me.

Julia has listened in rapt silence. I see, she comments quietly. We can only guess what thoughts and emotions are coursing through her brilliant mind. So now you know, Barnabas tells her. How will you save Vicki? Julia asks. Barnabas realizes: I was too obsessed with killing Forbes. I should have let him live and forced him to recant his testimony against Vicki. That’s what I’m going to do this time. How? Julia asks. How will you get there? Barnabas replies, Vicki was led back to the past by Peter’s spirit. I will go the same way. For just one night, I will control time! What if it doesn’t go the way you want? Julia asks. It will, Barnabas insists, I will control it. You have no more control than anyone else, Julia protests. Barnabas insists, I will have more control because I lived through it and I know what happened--and therefore can change it. Julia argues, What if Forbes fires the arrow and strikes you in the heart? You’ll be dead, and Forbes will have changed the course of history. It will never happen, Barnabas insists. What if you change one thing and start a whole chain reaction that could lead to your own destruction? Julia insists. I know that, Barnabas declares. Remember what you were then, Julia reminds him. When you come back--_if_ you come back--will you be as you are or will you be a vampire? Barnabas must admit he doesn’t know. Julia continues: How will you return? I don’t know, Barnabas answers, but I’m prepared to take all the risks you mentioned. I want you to return to this spot in forty-eight hours. Barnabas! Julia pleads one last time. Please don’t try to stop me, he says, taking a few steps back from her. I’m determined to go through with this. I can’t let Vicki die. Julia watches intently as Barnabas begins his plea: I summon the spirit of Peter Bradford. Hear me, wherever you are! Help me as you helped Vicki in transcending the barriers of time. A great wrong has been done in the past which must be rectified. Help me to rectify it. Take me back! Open the way for me, I implore you! Open the way!

Barnabas! Julia cries, but he can only watch as she and the gravestones fade away and he finds himself standing in a grassy clearing. [This has always been one of my favorite effects!] He has indeed returned to the past and is once again dressed as an eighteenth-century gentleman. As the dogs howl in the distance, he realizes that his clothing isn’t the only thing that has changed. He bares his fangs in response to the dogs’ howls......

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 03:36:04 PM »
Flashback episode.  Barnabas does get back to 1795/6 quickly and simply, with a short request to Peter Bradford's spirit.  This really won't help downsize his ego one bit...  The trip was well done, by fading out Julia from Barnabas's perspective, rather than the other way around.  And he's a vampire again...

I think this flashback was all old footage, DL, so Naomi could have been included, though this would have complicated things.  Barnabas telling Julia about her death was probably all the exposition we needed.

Barnabas seems to have popped into his earlier physical self, because of the old clothes and vampirism.  If so though, it's strange his old self just happened to have been standing on that same spot in the cemetary to be popped into...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 06:44:44 PM »
Going back in time. The cure for present day Barnabas's human existence and to make him scary once more.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 12:18:58 PM »
When he goes back in time, he acquires more personality and depth, Mr. Frid's engaged more, so he's more interesting than in the present, but we're really supposed be scared far more for him, than by him.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 11:33:40 PM »
This is what made seeing the Barnabas up to now so shocking for me, when (as an adult) I was able to see the show from the beginning for the first time.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 07:01:16 PM »
I finally got the chance to post screen caps and/or set ups for this ep on the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - Vicki/Jeff-Cassandra/The Dream Curse-Adam/Eve/Nicholas", "Caption This! - Vicki/Jeff-Cassandra/The Dream Curse-Adam/Eve/Nicholas", "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - 1796_3", and "Caption This! - 1796_3" boards.  [easter_smiley]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 11:28:42 PM »
Another batch has just been posted. And with them I've finally caught up on the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - Vicki/Jeff-Cassandra/The Dream Curse-Adam/Eve/Nicholas" and "Caption This! - Vicki/Jeff-Cassandra/The Dream Curse-Adam/Eve/Nicholas" boards for this go-round.