Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0661  (Read 3267 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0661
« on: October 27, 2008, 05:55:14 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0661
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 09:35:25 AM »
Once again Barnabas's "My mother is dead because of you!" hit me right in the stomach.

As Nathan practiced with the crossbow in the study, I thought of a commentary I listened to recently, in which the director said, I think, that a candlelit scene was done solely with the light of the candles.  Recalling it, I think I must have heard wrong - it couldn't be done with just candles, could it? - but that scene was quite dark.  The study in today's flashback was by no means dark; the studio lights had it all lit up, and I thought that it would have been a more interesting scene if the lights had been turned down.  Dan Curtis said that when he did the revival series he wanted to do it as people remembered Dark Shadows - much better than it actually had been - and today I thought that this was one scene that could have been improved, but it wasn't in the revival series.

It was good to see Ben Stokes again, and to think about how different he is from his descendant Timothy Eliot Stokes.  If Professor Stokes were to see Ben, he would be interested in him and also amused, I suppose - but what would Ben make of the Professor?

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 02:07:50 PM »
When Barnabas meets Ben and asks if this is the night his mother found him in the tower, shouldn't Barnabas have gone back a day earlier to prevent Nathan from telling Naomi?  That way he can save two people he loves the most. 

I always found that line to Ben one of the most absurd/bizarre given the fact he had the way to stop it.

Once again Barnabas's "My mother is dead because of you!" hit me right in the stomach.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 06:49:01 PM »
Since Barnabas appealed to Peter's desire to save Vicki (and perhaps save himself) in order to get his spirit to return to get him too, how would Barn convince Peter to let him return him to an earlier time so he could also save his mother?  Would Peter care?

I'm with Julia-- Barnabas' cavalier attitude about changing the past is incredibly stupid.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 08:17:46 PM »

Yes, of course, but it was strange to hear Barnabas fall into the exact same dialogue with Forbes just as if the events had just happened to him.

As Nathan practiced with the crossbow in the study, I thought of a commentary I listened to recently, in which the director said, I think, that a candlelit scene was done solely with the light of the candles.  Recalling it, I think I must have heard wrong - it couldn't be done with just candles, could it?

Stanley Kubrick did that for the first time I believe in "Barry Lyndon" circa 1973.  They needed a new process or technique to do it-- it hadn't ever been done before.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 10:53:58 PM »
As Nathan practiced with the crossbow in the study, I thought of a commentary I listened to recently, in which the director said, I think, that a candlelit scene was done solely with the light of the candles.  Recalling it, I think I must have heard wrong - it couldn't be done with just candles, could it?

Stanley Kubrick did that for the first time I believe in "Barry Lyndon" circa 1973.  They needed a new process or technique to do it-- it hadn't ever been done before.
I believe there was also a candle-lit (or was it fire-lit?) scene in The Grapes of Wrath.

ProfStokes

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 03:10:47 AM »
I didn't realized Dark Shadows  did a Flashback episode. It was nice to see Joel Crothers again!! [hall2_smiley]

Other than that, I just can't believe Barnabas could be will to the past. I thought that was really out there and lazy on the writers. Couldn't they come up with anything else.
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 12:48:18 PM »
"My Mother is dead because of you!"  "I cannot die, because I am already dead!" I  just loved hearing Barnabas say those lines! They are among the best in the whole series. Barnabas was so angry, deservedly so. This was really emotional, and oh, so true! I loved the frightened look on Nathan's face after he "shot" Barnabas with the pistol and later missed his heart with the crossbow. [hall_shocked]

I'm glad that Barnabas recounted to Julia the story of the last night before he was chained in his coffin. It was great to watch those scenes again. [hall_wink]

I thought it was neat when we saw Barnabas' point of view when he was pleading with Peter's spirit for him to go back to the past, and Julia and the graves disappeared! So fascinating and exciting! [hall2_cheesy]

Poor Julia didn't want Barnabas to go back to the past. It sounded so preposterous to her. She loved him, and he was willing to risk his life to save another woman, not her. But there was nothing that Julia could do to stop him, because he was so determined. [hall_sad]

Kudos to all for an excellent episode. [clap2] It was great to see Lewis Edmonds playing Joshua, Joel Crothers playing Nathan, and Thayer David playing Ben again. These characters are so different from Roger, Joe, and Prof. Stokes.

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 04:14:47 PM »
I'm glad that Barnabas recounted to Julia the story of the last night before he was chained in his coffin.
It would, I suppose have been very unkind of Julia to ask Barnabas, "So what was with that cock-and-bull story you told me one night in 1967 on Widows Hill about Josette being married to Jeremiah for years?" but I wish she had anyway.

I thought it was neat when we saw Barnabas' point of view when he was pleading with Peter's spirit for him to go back to the past, and Julia and the graves disappeared!
Me too!  I had forgotten that it had been done that way, and was expecting Julia to disappear.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 12:00:25 AM »
I just can't believe Barnabas could be will to the past. I thought that was really out there and lazy on the writers. Couldn't they come up with anything else.

Barnabas didn't will himself into the past-- he used Peter to bring him there just as Peter was the vehicle that brought Vicki back to that year.  Barn assumed his spirit would be willing since Peter had basically doomed Vicki by bringing her there, plus his own hanging was imminent.  Asking for Peter's help was mentioned a few times in #660 and twice more in this episode.  Here's RobinV's description of that final instance:
Barnabas summons Peter Bradford's spirit--help me as you helped Vicki to transcend time's barrier--I must rectify a great wrong from the past--open the way for me, I implore you! says Barnabas, and suddenly, it appears that Julia has disappeared! We hear howling dogs, and Barnabas stands, fangs bared, dressed in his old 18th century outfit! He has returned to the past!

I don't think it was necessarily lazy writing, and at the very least the writers were being consistent because I don't find this development all that different from having [spoiler]Sarah's spirit be responsible for sending Vicki to the past the first time (during the seance).[/spoiler]

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 01:18:58 AM »
With Sarah and Vicki[spoiler]there was a senace.[/spoiler] To me this allowed for the time travel.

Even when Peter took Vicki back into the past at least he was present in the room. I just find it hard to believe (even for DS) that Barnabas could call out to Peter and just vanish into the past. Vicki spent days crying out for Peter before he could show back up and take her. Maybe I just wanted Barnabas to have a harder time getting back to the past. I think that could have added more to the storyline.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 01:42:16 AM »
I hear what you're saying, JWGucciEnvy.  Would you have been more satisfied if Barnabas had held a seance in this ep to contact Peter's spirit and disappeared into the past then?  But hmm, we would've lost the twist of Julia disappearing in the cemetery instead of Barn, and the bit with no gravestones in the other time so they're not dead yet, and maybe I'm just easily entertained but I like all that.

If Peter had come for Barnabas, DC would have had to pay RD.  [hall2_wink]

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 03:33:48 AM »
The less I have to watch the Jeff Clark/Peter Bradford character the better!!! So yeah...maybe the time travel storyline wasn't that bad.... [hall2_wink]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 06:46:43 PM »
For a second it seemed as if Julia were the one being transported back to the past.  I almost expected to hear her scream, "Barnabas, you blew it.  You were supposed to be the one going back, not me!"

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 06:54:26 PM »
Nice idea, Roland.  If I were Peter Bradford, I would certainly prefer to get Julia for the job rather than Barnabas.