Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0661  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0661
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 07:03:57 PM »
I agree. 

Another strange thing is why has the date of Vickie's execution been moved from 1795 to 1796?  I realize it's probably because of the change in the calendar year from 1968 to 1969, but it's still pretty stupid and illogical. 

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 07:48:57 PM »
It really wouldn't have made sense for Julia to go back to 1795 instead of Barnabas. Barnabas was the one who lived through those events, not Julia. He knew exactly what would happen when it would happen. Julia would have had no such knowledge.

Would have been funny though if Ben Stokes had encounted Julia in all her 20th century clothing and say "Hey, Countess, where the heck did you get THAT wardrobe?!" [snow_grin]

Or suppose someone else had encountered her. If only dear Abigail had still been alive at this point, I can see her take one look at Julia and scream "Witch!". [snow_grin]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 08:03:20 PM »
Another strange thing is why has the date of Vickie's execution been moved from 1795 to 1796?  I realize it's probably because of the change in the calendar year from 1968 to 1969, but it's still pretty stupid and illogical.

Check out this discussion beginning with this post:
This episode, I believe, originally aired 1/2/68, so everything that happens from this point on is 1796.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 11:22:01 PM »
Yes... all this makes me wonder whether the evidence for broadcast dates matching 1796 dates might be something that's open to interpretation either way, since people are of both minds about it.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 05:26:29 AM »
Any way you slice it, the day on which Vickie "died" on the gallows wouldn't have changed.  Why does the date in the past have to somehow correlate with the one in the present?  That just doesn't make any kind of sense.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 06:52:16 AM »
Most of the audience had never been exposed to science-fiction concepts, and time travel just by itself was disorienting and hard for people to wrap their heads around.   I think making air dates and past era dates coincide was a way to make it all easier for the audience.   They could feel as if the past was a "place" to visit, where things were still happening "now".   Going to another era could be experienced in the same way as going to Europe.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 07:23:57 AM »
all this makes me wonder whether the evidence for broadcast dates matching 1796 dates might be something that's open to interpretation

Honestly, it's not. And as I said, there are several posts on the forum that point this out. But be that as it may, pay close attention the next time you watch the 1795/96 storyline, and it will become apparent to you.  [snow_smiley]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 10:35:49 PM »
Just wanted to add one more thing about this: in light of all the criticism Barnabas has gotten for wanting to change the past  (and I admit a lot of times he, even unintentionally, winds up doing more harm and good), I think it's wonderful that he wanted to save Vicki from hanging as a witch. Some may feel that Julia would have been a better choice to help Vicki than Barnabas...I don't see how. As I said, Barnabas lived through those events, not Julia, therefore he was the more logical choice to go and help Vicki.

[spoiler] If only that dumb twist about Vicki getting killed by Jeb hadn't happened during the Leviathan storyline. [/spoiler]