Author Topic: I gotta stand up for Angelique  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Re: I gotta stand up for Angelique
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2002, 05:02:46 AM »
Roger and the bottle get my vote.

Quentin never came up shy romancing the brandy, either.

--Mark

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2002, 06:05:47 PM »
Mark          (possible spoilers)
that's really great!!! the true love match of the series!!!!

jennifer
also Linda i agree with you i found myself not caring about C&B they were both a tad selfish but K&M were the true love match! :-*(after Roger and the bottle! :o)LOL
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2002, 07:14:46 PM »
Have to agree with whomever said that Melanie & Kendrick are the true love match of PT1841. I just love watching those scenes between John Karlen and Nancy Barrett (although I love watching Karlen's scenes with Grayson Hall even more--those two had some fabulous moments in an otherwise rather confused and lacklustre storyline!).  

As for dear Angelique, I just love watching her at this point.  Even though Cassandra is my favorite Lara Parker character on the show (and I really consider Cassandra to be separate from Angelique--"WHY are you calling me by that name???" bat bat, quiver quiver, pout pout), the ORIGINAL 1795 Angelique is really more interesting as a character than the latter variations (though again, I love watching her waltz in and out of the endless 1897 storyline--and who doesn't love her little turn as Mrs Sky Rumson--gods, I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when Mrs. Sky presided over the Little Windward Island Ladies Auxiliary Shriners League luncheon!).  

At this point in the scheme of things, Ange doesn't just crave Barn's body and soul, she also lusts for the privileges that she sees coming her way when she assumes her rightful place as Mrs. Barnabas Collins.  If she ever said that she would have been content to have been Barnabas' mistress while Josette was his wife, she was deluding both herself and anyone within listening range.  She wants the whole kit and caboodle--the dresses, the carriages, the silver, the fawning admiration of those less favored by society.  And, at this point, she also wants to see Josette humiliated and groveling.  

I love to watch her, but I'd hardly say I admire her.

Best,  Steve

Doesn't this new Board RULE?

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2002, 07:36:36 PM »
....how many real love matches did they have in this show?  Anybody?

Well, I think Maggie and Joe had a good thing going until they were interupted by 1795.  Carolyn and Jeb seemed to genuinely care for each other also as did Burke and Vicky. I also agree that Melanie and Kendrick were a good match.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2002, 08:50:27 PM »
I love to watch her, but I'd hardly say I admire her.

Best,  Steve

Yes, you said it Steve-not the character but it is the performance. Lara Parker does it perfectly and gets a STANDing O!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2002, 10:04:57 PM »
As far as love matches on Dark Shadows, Chris and Sabrina would have to qualify.  I mean, she knew he was a werewolf and she still stayed with him.   Talk about standing by your man!  Or man/animal.

Offline mfmdpt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2002, 10:50:06 PM »
gods, I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when Mrs. Sky presided over the Little Windward Island Ladies Auxiliary Shriners League luncheon!).

Only you would picture Angelique presiding over a LWI Ladies Auxilary Shriners League luncheon, Steve! [evilg] Even in her most contented, I've-given-up-witchcraft-because-I-love-my-man moments, somehow I just can't picture her in that sort of setting. Given how competitive Ang is with practically every other woman alive, she wouldn't last five seconds before she'd want to turn one of the bitchier ladies into a water cress and endive sandwich and eat her alive - LOL!
"I give in to sin because you have to make this life livable." - Depeche Mode (Strangelove)

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2002, 11:12:01 PM »
There is too much wrong with this whole idea to even begin. . suffice it to say, Angelique is an excellent advesary/nemesis. . her presence **did** make the show hum but she deserves no compassion from my POV. . . she needed therapy and lots of it and some time in San Quentin to repay society for her ill deeds (yea so did most of the characters, B&J included). . . a long stay at Wyndcliffe might've been very helpful.    

:-*   :-*
Julia99

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2002, 12:23:13 AM »
Gee...I asked if 'anybody' would comment on the real love matches on DS and it seems 'everybody' showed up to answer...thanks guys.....you make this forum a riot to read!!
Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
DS' True Lovebirds
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2002, 03:55:59 AM »
BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!

Until Nicholas Blair and Angelique interfered, Joe and Maggie seemed truly in love and destined for a normal, happy life together.  I was very sad when they said goodbye to each other.

I agree that Kendrick and Melanie made a sweet pair in 1841PT, but she was too screamy and weepy, IMHO, and I found her annoying much of the time.  

An even better pair, comprised of the same actors, was 1840's Desmond and Leticia.  When they said wedding vows just as Desmond was due to be beheaded, I just welled up.  They seemed genuinely in love.  

I still think Bramwell and Catherine represented DS' most passionate couple, and the only pair beside Kendrick and Melanie who got a happy ending.  Bram and Cath vanquished the bad ghost of Brutus and banished dark shadows from Collinwood--plus, they were expecting an out of wedlock kid you KNEW would be named Barnabas!

Oh, and another half-hearted vote for Philip and Megan Todd, who, before they were forced into being parents to the Leviathan Lung Brat, actually seemed like a normal, happy couple looking forward to their future as owners of the Collinsport Antique Shop.  

The present day Collins family had no luck in love whatsoever.  Liz, Carolyn, Roger, Vicki, even David struck out with Hallie.  They really needed some serious help from a good shrink.

Love, Robin

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2002, 04:05:43 AM »
Mother of Pearl.....how the heck do we keep all these various permutations of the same people straight??!!

Even better, how on earth did the actors know who they were on any day of the week?  Can't you just see them stopping one another just off-set and asking..."quick....who am I?"  LOL
Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas