Author Topic: "The Wicked Witch of Down East"  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
"The Wicked Witch of Down East"
« on: March 08, 2002, 09:54:33 PM »
Dear Fellow Dark Shadows Fans,

No doubt, like many of you, I've just abot had it with Barnabas' capricious romantic whims.  He loves Josette, but has a fling with the maid Angelique, on the side down in sunny Martinique.

Josette runs off with Jeremiah and old Barn is ready to get it on again with the beautiful Angelique.  But no, now Barn's, once again, mesmerized by those lovely brown eyes of Josette.  Jeez, make up your mind already, Mr. B.!

That being said, as drop-dead gorgeous as Angelique is, what she did to little Sarah today goes beyond the pale.  Letting a child suffer horribly to win back the reluctant (and somewhat, doltish)  Mr. B. is intolerable.  

What an evil woman, Angelique is!  My late grandfather had the perfect expression for her: "Messalina, mala femina!!!"  (Messalina, the wanton wife of Emperor Claudius, evil woman!!!)

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who thinks it's too bad that Barnabas and the ditsy Millicent can't marry. They certainly deserve one another!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: "The Wicked Witch of Down East"
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2002, 11:51:55 PM »
Josette runs off with Jeremiah and old Barn is ready to get it on again with the beautiful Angelique.  But no, now Barn's, once again, mesmerized by those lovely brown eyes of Josette.  Jeez, make up your mind already, Mr. B.!

You know, I just had a wicked thought.  Seeing as how Barnabas is more about exteriors anyway (he didn't care a fig for what Vicki or Maggie were like as people and if he was satisfied with Maggie's performance as "Josette" than God knows, he doesn't expect much), what if Angelique had switched bodies with her mistress or done some sort of illusion spell?  It would have worked as well as anything, perhaps better.

That being said, as drop-dead gorgeous as Angelique is, what she did to little Sarah today goes beyond the pale.  Letting a child suffer horribly to win back the reluctant (and somewhat, doltish)  Mr. B. is intolerable.  

No question about it.  I can feel sorry for someone suffering unrequited love, but honey, we all got pain.  If you have to go harming small children to get your man, than it's time to get over it.  

Bob the Bartender, who thinks it's too bad that Barnabas and the ditsy Millicent can't marry. They certainly deserve one another!

Now that's a pairing and a half! LOL.  You know, I can actually see that working out  ;)

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2002, 12:18:43 AM »
No doubt, like many of you, I've just abot had it with Barnabas' capricious romantic whims.  He loves Josette, but has a fling with the maid Angelique, on the side down in sunny Martinique.

Now in Barnabas' defense, he loved Josette, but was unaware his feelings were requited, and he didn't find out until he'd already left Martinique, and his affair with Angelique behind him.  He and Josette apparently wrote and revealed they felt the same, and agreed to wed via letter.

Barnabas considered trying to get together with Angelique (who let's face it, pushed him into saying he hated Josette) and told her yes until he saw Josette and realized he still had intense feelings for his former fiancee.  I mean, heck, who bought it when Barnabas repeated after Angelique, "I hate her!" (Josette)?  We know he doesn't, and can't, despite everything.  He could have gone back to Angelique's room and had his way with her as he did in Martinique, but he was honest enough to admit that, since he still cared about Josette, he couldn't do THAT, either.

Agreed.  I know Angie didn't want Barnabas if she had to cast a love spell on him, but it sure would have saved a lot if misery and lives if she'd just taken that shortcut--but we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we?  

Love, Robin

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2002, 12:43:57 AM »
Seeing as how Barnabas is more about exteriors anyway (he didn't care a fig for what Vicki or Maggie were like as people and if he was satisfied with Maggie's performance as "Josette" than God knows, he doesn't expect much), what if Angelique had switched bodies with her mistress or done some sort of illusion spell?  It would have worked as well as anything, perhaps better.

::) ;D ;D :D :)
Great idea! But it still would not be getting him on her terms-remember no magic powers allowed here...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2002, 01:57:27 AM »
Ooohhhh Bob...your grandfather would say "Messalina mala femina" out loud?  In MY grandfather's house it was a hissing under the breath...and NEVER said by a kid!!

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2002, 01:57:30 AM »

::) ;D ;D :D :)
Great idea! But it still would not be getting him on her terms-remember no magic powers allowed here...

Well, no.  Her warped criteria, and I'm going to have to call it warped, sorry  :( is that she's not going to mess with his feelings to her.

Other than that, it seems to be very much anything goes (lies, deceptions, blaming others, etc.) so I don't see why one more would be a problem, lol.

Seriously though, I think my problem with both these characters is that neither of them seldom stops to think. ask questions, or even try to come up with an alternative plan.  That's what makes them so destructive both to themselves and others.  Sad really . . .

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2002, 02:04:49 AM »
Dear Fellow Dark Shadows Fans,

"No doubt, like many of you, I've just abot had it with Barnabas' capricious romantic whims".

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

So have I, and this is about the time I start not to like the Barnabas character.  And unfortunately, this is only the beginning of his many "whims"...

"That being said, as drop-dead gorgeous as Angelique is, what she did to little Sarah today goes beyond the pale."

And that is exactly what brings Barnabas to new "depths" of shallowness (lol) when he decides he's
really loved Angelique all along...remember your little sister, Barn??

MrsJ.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2002, 04:53:02 AM »

What an evil woman, Angelique is!  My late grandfather had the perfect expression for her: "Messalina, mala femina!!!"  (Messalina, the wanton wife of Emperor Claudius, evil woman!!!)

Angelique's treatment of Sarah, in addition to so many other innocent bystanders, was what really turned me against her.  

Agreed.  I know Angie didn't want Barnabas if she had to cast a love spell on him, but it sure would have saved a lot if misery and lives if she'd just taken that shortcut--but we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we?

I think it's very strange that until now Angelique has made such a big deal of getting Barnabas to come to her willingly, and then finally chooses to blackmail him into marrying her.  What's the point?  She already knows that he doesn't love her.  It was his telling her so that drove her to harm Sarah in the first place.  To me it seems as if she's defeated her main purpose.

ProfStokes

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2002, 05:05:29 AM »
I have to agree.  How could Barnabas ever forgive or love her after  what she did to Sarah!  That has got to be the very worse thing she did.  She did look like she was torn when placing those pins in the doll.  Still she does it.  Hurting a child is about as low as you can go.  What was she thinking?  Oh ya, it is Angie she doesn't think.

Birdie--who would rather play on the computer than do house work
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2002, 09:54:22 AM »
possible spoilers

have to agree harming a small child is as low as you can get She is pure evil and these kind never reform!!
I also believe that if Banabas ever really wanted her she be bored in two minutes and be fooling around with the Dirk of 1795(Ick)!!She 's a mean one!!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2002, 07:10:54 PM »
I have to agree.  How could Barnabas ever forgive or love her after  what she did to Sarah!  That has got to be the very worse thing she did.  She did look like she was torn when placing those pins in the doll.  Still she does it.  Hurting a child is about as low as you can go.  What was she thinking?  Oh ya, it is Angie she doesn't think.

Birdie--who would rather play on the computer than do house work

seems like Barn is playing both sides, standing up to his dad in defiance, then hoping Angie will back out of the wedding when she finds out he will be broke!  But if Angie is indeed pulling the strings on the  spooky stuff, what is making Jerimiah chase her around?  Great close for todays 2nd ep!!
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2002, 07:25:37 PM »
" But if Angie is indeed pulling the strings on the  spooky stuff, what is making Jerimiah chase her around?"

Well, you know, there are good witches as well as bad witches.  It's a big cast of characters....maybe someone in the crowd was 'blessed'  with talents we never knew about! LOL

Welcome home, RingoCollins
Raineypark 
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas