Author Topic: See a super-creepy 'Penny Dreadful' trailer  (Read 9211 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: See a super-creepy 'Penny Dreadful' trailer
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2014, 02:27:31 AM »
I keep hearing chatter that the ethan character is...

a.) a werewolf or...

b.) jack the ripper.

I'm viewing it somewhat casually and know little about the "lore" of either option so I'm not sure what "clues" people are picking up on on this point. was there an early episode where he "lost time" or something to that effect?

after originally thinking this was just something of a style-over-substance pastiche of Victorian horror melodrama the overall "narrative" is starting to become somewhat clarified for me.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2014, 02:48:33 AM »
For those who may have missed the Critics' Choice Television Awards last night, the members of the Broadcast Journalists Television Association announced Penny Dreadful as one of their six Most Exciting New Series for 2014.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2014, 03:03:12 AM »
I've suspected since the second ep that the Ripper style murders are the work of a werewolf. And as for Ethan, there have been clues that he could be the werewolf. For one, there's possibly something right in the opening credits sequence. And, yes, he was shown waking up one day and having had no idea where he was or how he got there. However, there are also conflicting facts like, if he is a werewolf, apparently, as I mentioned to dom and Midnite, he belongs to the DS school of werewolf clothing because, mostly like Chris, Ethan's clothes were barely mussed when he woke up that morning. He wasn't naked, which is the way things are mostly played these days when it comes to showing werewolves waking the morning after. Hell, Ethan still even had his hat. And when he and Brona went to the theater, he didn't blink an eye at the werewolf skit. In fact, he got a good laugh out of it, which seemed like an odd reaction from him if he is a werewolf himself. But then there's also the way the wolves reacted to him. So, I suppose we shall see...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2014, 02:16:10 PM »
A friend of mine has a theory that Ethan may be an avatar of Anubis, the jackal-god of ancient Egypt, who was a Psychopomp--a guide of the Dead from this realm to the Fields of the Just--the Opener of the Way, and the God who magically reunited the dismembered limbs of the dead Osiris and returned Him to life.  But Ethan may not be aware that he is an avatar...

Another friend thinks that Ethan received some form of Initiation rite from one of the tribes in his travels in America and that initiation is the source of his ability to commune with the wolves.

I like this second view the best... but it's really all pure speculation at this point.

G.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2014, 11:30:41 PM »
I haven't really thought that Ethan has to be another supernatural character.  But I don't see Jack The Ripper, since Ethan has such a kind heart and is desperately trying to keep a London prostitute alive, while the ripper murdered them.  I wouldn't want such a likeable character to go that way.   He could be a werewolf, and using the alcohol to numb the pain and his own awareness of transformations.  Or perhaps an Avatar and linked to Vanessa in that way.  But we'll see. 

Gothick, I agree with you, Caliban is much more complex and well-acted then Adam ever was, and the way he's is written is much more in line with romanticist literature.  I do wish the other creature had lived longer  though; he seemed to have some awareness of a past life which Calban has made no mention of yet.  I also really loved that scene between Ethan and Dorian, even though it was cut short. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2014, 01:48:31 AM »
linked to Vanessa in that way

Ethan's attraction toward and seeming devotion to Vanessa are other interesting aspects to his character. I have no theories as to what they mean. And they would certainly seem to have no connection to any of the werewolf theories. But they have been stressed several times, so they certainly mean something.

If the photos from tomorrow's ep are any indication, we may get some clues soon...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2014, 11:48:24 AM »
looks like Green is positively going to chew the scenery to shreds.  [ghost_shocked]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2014, 06:12:36 PM »
There's an advance clip scene between Green and Treadaway (from tonight's show) on YT that is stunning... and it really exemplifies how this story is completely about character emotions and interactions... which is why I love it. THIS is what I would call a Dark Shadows flavor...

G.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2014, 08:54:09 PM »
Last week's ep took my breath away. Eager for tonight's ep.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2014, 06:42:40 AM »
Here's what tvguide.com's Matt Roush has to say about tonight's ep:

For a truly terrifying hour of TV, consider Showtime's better-by-the-week Victorian Grand Guignol Penny Dreadful (Sunday, 10/9c), which devotes the entire episode to one of the most harrowing exorcisms since Linda Blair went to hell and back. And Eva Green, as the demonically possessed Vanessa Ives, is a much better actress. She hisses, she shrieks, she convulses, she attacks literal and emotional jugulars, and by the end, everyone's exhausted. But all too ready for whatever freaky thing comes next.

Critic's Notebook: Summer TV Comings and Goings

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2014, 09:13:15 PM »
This was another great character-centered episode.  Vanessa's comments to Ethan about feeling like there was an animal inside of her trying to scratch it's way out seems to hint more at his being a werewolf, but we'll see.  I loved the bonding between Victor and Ethan, and choice comments to Malcolm like "I guess ths is what happens when you murder your way through an entire continent."  I'm glad no one is really on his side. 

I'm surprised next week is the season finale.  It seems that Victor hasn't started working on Caliban's "immortal bride" at all (I guess he wouldn't settle for one of those vampire women they find sleeping in warehouses all the time.)  If Victor just takes a complete corpse and modifies it a bit, I guess it could go by fast enough. 

The preview for next episode kind of annoyed me.  [spoiler]Malcolm has the nerve to say to Vanessa that if need be he will 'sacrifice her' for Mina....Why don't you sacrifice YOURSELF for Mina, Malcolm?  How is what Vanessa did any worse then your crimes?  [/spoiler]
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2014, 03:51:54 AM »
this installment just left me shell shocked...

I'm scared to go to bed. [8371]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2014, 12:41:28 AM »
'Penny Dreadful' Season 1, episode 8: 'Grand Guignol' photos

::Sob:: that the finale is already coming up.  [ghost_sad]  But at least we already know we have 10 more eps to look forward to next season.  [ghost_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2014, 12:43:19 AM »
this installment just left me shell shocked...

I'm scared to go to bed. [8371]

Wow - really? I haven't gotten the chance to watch it yet - but now you've got me really intrigued!!  [ghost_wink]