Author Topic: See a super-creepy 'Penny Dreadful' trailer  (Read 9218 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: See a super-creepy 'Penny Dreadful' trailer
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2014, 05:40:21 PM »
My friend just messaged me that this series has been renewed for a second, 10 episode season.

I haven't seen a link to confirm... apparently they are planning a big presence at the San Diego Comics Convention.

I guess Showtime actually gets the concept of niche marketing unlike the brass at the "regular" networks.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2014, 06:07:56 PM »
Here's confirmation:

'Penny Dreadful' renewed for bigger Season 2 on Showtime

No mention of ComicCon in the article - but no doubt reports about that will be all over the Internet before too long...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2014, 06:31:35 PM »
that's good news. although a lot of the haters are vowing "never to watch it again" after the gay kiss...

the tempo of this conversation reminds me of the hysterics that often come up when it's suggested that a *certain* DS actor 'might' have been gay. I have to say there is a disturbing and virulent undercurrent of homophobia that runs through the "comic con" crowd. you'd think that perhaps being something of a group of "outsiders" themselves they might have a greater openness to difference in this area but they largely do not. there's almost an "adolescent" repulsion and defensiveness around "the subject".

I was offended by a lot of the remarks at first but then I rethought this whole thing. a lot of these deluded weirdos are in need of a bit of a reality check.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2014, 08:14:06 PM »
back on topic...

I wonder if season two will be a "continuation" of season one or if the series will be more like 'American Horror Story'. a loosely connected "anthology" type of show using the same actors but with different plots and characters each season?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2014, 02:15:46 AM »
Still quite impressed overall.

I was hoping the kiss would be between Victor and the old man - I was sorely disappointed. I giggled immaturely during the kissing scene - surprising myself - and as per usual, the weekly cliffhanger went over my head.

Based on the strength of this season so far, I find the news of a second season very exciting.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2014, 05:24:45 AM »
Victor is really starved for love and affection.  At least Caliban has the theatre and his work there.  Victor is truly alone.

G.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2014, 06:18:32 PM »
Maybe the 'immortal mate' will fall for Victor, or vice versa... If she gets created at all.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2014, 05:20:51 PM »
any reports on last night's episode?

I haven't seen it yet.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2014, 05:43:33 PM »
Here's a recap:

'Penny Dreadful' season 1, episode 5 recap: 'Closer Than Sisters' examines Vanessa's twisted past

I also haven't seen it yet (or read that recap), but from the previews it looks like it's a very interesting ep for Eva Green's Vanessa.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2014, 05:00:48 AM »
I'm ready to watch -- hoping the giant TV is available, lol.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2014, 02:20:18 PM »
no thoughts on last week's Eva-intensive installation???

unlike the previous week's grousing many fans are calling it a "masterwork" and the high point of the series thus far.

I thought it was well done and beautifully shot. Green was excellent as always. it did provide some much needed background for the character's connection to the Murray family.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2014, 12:47:43 AM »
Kind of sad that this show (despite the reaction of homophobes) is actually just like any other--where gay sex scenes are given five second flashes, while straight sex scenes are more like five minutes of richly detailed action.  I hope that will improve and Dorian will either end up with Ethan again (fabulous couple!) or perhaps even Victor. 

Anyway, while I tuned out of the first episode after it looked like it was just another vampire-hunting story, I'm glad I came back to it because this show is so much better then I thought it would be.  On that note, while the creatures murder's are senseless and cruel (in Mary Shelley's book Victor had a childhood sweetheart and a family for the creature to use as blackmail--but here he's close to no one, so basically if he says hi to someone in the street, Caliban might kill that person), it nevertheless was nice that they got rid of Van Helsing, since that character has been so overdone and IMO, extremely boring.   Could the actress that Caliban is falling in love with be Sybil Vane from The Picture of Dorian Gray, I wonder?   I'm glad there will be a season 2, though Malcolm can die at any time now and I'd be satisfied.
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2014, 01:24:57 AM »
Bat, those are excellent points.  I thought the same about the Ethan/Dorian scene but I did appreciate the subtlety and beauty of the seduction involved.

I see what you mean about the character of Sir Malcolm, but I doubt whether he's going anywhere.

I think Ethan is in some ways the biggest mystery of all.  There are a lot of theories, which some fans are practically treating as canon now, but in reality, we know very little about him.

The behavior of the Caliban character reminds me a lot of Adam, but the dialogue and the way Caliban's stuff is mounted and presented is soooo much better.  And the scenes are well paced.  The Adam scenes tended to drag on and on.  I actually think Robert Rodan did some fabulous work in the role but, sadly, few fans seem willing to acknowledge that.

G.