Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0619  (Read 955 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0619
« on: January 17, 2014, 04:47:12 PM »
Robservations #619

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0619

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 10:45:32 PM »
Vicki is so upset when she finds Barnabas that her hairstyle has changed since the end of the previous episode. She hides him in Adam's old room at Collinwood.

Julia visits Joe in the hospital and tries to get him to name the vampire, even though she knows very well that he can't. When she tells him that she's going to see Nicholas, he urgently warns her to stay away. This is all the information she needs.

We get a wonderful duel between the Doctor and the Devil as Julia confronts Nicholas. He claims (truthfully this time, at least) that he doesn't know where Barnabas is. Julia knows Nicholas has plans for Adam and reminds him that in order for those plans to succeed, Adam has to remain alive and healthy--and therefore so must Barnabas. Nicholas can't help glancing out the window at the approaching dusk. He tries to get Julia to leave, claiming he's got a lot to do. Yes, Julia answers sarcastically as she too glances out the window. I see you’re worried it will be dark soon. Nicholas’s fake smile dies as he warns her, Don't try my patience, Doctor. Don't do it. (HAA is great here!) Is Barnabas in this house? Julia demands. He is _not_, Nicholas tells her emphatically. Do you know where he is? Julia asks. I haven't the vaguest idea, he replies. Julia suggests, It would be to our mutual advantage to find out. Through gritted teeth, he replies, I will do everything I possibly can to help you, Doctor. Good day. With a sudden change of manner, he takes all the wind out of her sails by telling her, Dr. Hoffman, I really have to admire you for coming here today. What do you mean? she stammers, for once caught off guard. You know perfectly well why, he answers very quietly. With a smile, he sees her to the front door. Julia gives him a look of complete understanding, then walks out. (The set behind her is black, even though it’s not yet dark.) He stands by the door, very angry.

Although the art card of the House by the Sea shows nothing growing anywhere near it, Julia walks through the woods. Julia thinks to herself that Nicholas must know where Barn is--or does he? She thinks Nicholas will take some kind of action after sunset. She finds a convenient tree to hide behind, pulls up her collar against the cold, and prepares to wait.

Vicki tries to get Barn to tell her what happened to him, but he mutters that it's too horrible and begs her to get him a cross. Very unhappy at leaving him, she goes to find one.

When Angelique awakes, Nicholas is angry enough to slap her. Once again he tells her to stay away from Barnabas. Nicholas orders her to get Barnabas back to the Old House--and to be back before he (N.) returns. If you don’t obey me, I will deny you your coffin, he warns her. Where are you going? she asks angrily. To see Maggie Evans, he replies, and I’m even angrier now because you’ve made me late. Angelique observes bitterly, When it comes to your own interests, you do very well, don’t you? That’s one of the advantages of being the master, he answers as he jauntily walks out.

Julia's perseverance has paid off. She watches as Nicholas leaves the house, humming a tune. Luckily Julia waits before going into the house herself, because a moment later, she sees sees a woman come out; she has to hide behind a tree as the woman walks right by her. Julia almost gives herself away with shock as she recognizes the vampire....

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 12:03:40 AM »
Awesome episode (at least on paper, it is).

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 01:22:13 AM »
I remember loving the scenes with GH and HAA.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 05:05:43 AM »
Awesome episode (at least on paper, it is).

LOL...

Vicki is so upset when she finds Barnabas that her hairstyle has changed since the end of the previous episode.

Good one...

Barnabas manages to interrupt Grayson's voiceover.   Vicki finds Barn, he gets to do a fake out death scene, recover, and be taken by Vicki to precisely the same West Wing room Adam hid in, apparently, the one Adam held Vicki in.   Vicki forgot all that, so she got "lucky", I guess.

Julia becomes the Julia I always thought of Julia as being, from my childhood viewing days.   Heart-on-her-sleeve, gasping and straightforwardly panicky and sympathetic Julia is foreign to me.  For me, she was the smart, nervy, cool, calculating (in a good cause) woman we see her as, in this episode.   She cuts through the BS and roadblocks admirably and efficiently, first with Joe, and then with Nicholas.    Good for Joe, finding a way to protect Julia even though he couldn't betray Angelique.   Good for Julia, counting on Joe's decency, despite everything, knowing he'd start talking even if very very indirectly, if he knew Julia was going into danger with Nicholas.   

Julia's showdown with Blair (referred to by her as such!) is a very popular scene amongst fans, I think.  Just when you think DS has skidded off the rails into childish melodrama, they keep bringing us back to the core of DS, with a clever or genuinely dramatic scene.   The sparring is believable, and well handled.   I wonder if Grayson mis-played the end though, over-emphasizing any confusion on Julia's part about Nick's remark about her courage in coming there.   One, of course Nick's a dangerous guy, so of course it would take courage to confront him.  An unsurprising statement.   Two, Julia was playing it cool up until then, why wouldn't she be able to maintain that to the end?

Nick slaps Ang!   So Barn was in "a hut between Collinwood and the Old House"?   How many useless, obsolete structures are placed along that brief walk through the woods, anyway?  Why on Earth would that be a place to "hide" anyone looking for a missing man on the estate?

It's strange and awkward, Julia's cliffhanger statement indicating she's just seen "Angelique Collins!"   This is her first glimpse of her as Angelique ever, so something like "It's Angelique!  From the painting!" might have been appropriate...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 05:04:35 PM »
Heart-on-her-sleeve, gasping and straightforwardly panicky and sympathetic Julia is foreign to me.  For me, she was the smart, nervy, cool, calculating (in a good cause) woman we see her as, in this episode.

Sometimes I wish I had watched the show when it originally aired in the late 1960s and I was young and in desperate need of positive female role models. But better late than never! And it's always wonderful to see an older woman portrayed as not just smart, nervy, etc., but also capable of great love and, yes, desire.

I wonder if Grayson mis-played the end though, over-emphasizing any confusion on Julia's part about Nick's remark about her courage in coming there.

Maybe now that the conversation is pretty much done, she couldn't help it when reaction set it. Even our formidable Julia would have some qualms about sparring with the Devil.

How many useless, obsolete structures are placed along that brief walk through the woods, anyway?

*falls down laughing*

It's strange and awkward, Julia's cliffhanger statement indicating she's just seen "Angelique Collins!"   This is her first glimpse of her as Angelique ever, so something like "It's Angelique!  From the painting!" might have been appropriate...

True, but by now Barnabas has finally told her the entire story of his dreadful past, and she already may consider Angelique her rival, which might make her more likely to think of her as Angelique Collins.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 06:50:25 AM »
Vickie does not understand, only that she must hide Barnabas. Barnabas gets use of Adam's room set. Julia tattles on Angelique without knowing just yet it is Angelique Collins!
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times