Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0618  (Read 890 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0618
« on: January 16, 2014, 05:38:13 PM »
Robservations #618

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0618

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 05:27:59 PM »
Roger tells Vicki about his nightmare and insists that marrying Jeff would be the most tragic mistake of her life. But he can't explain why. This only makes Vicki angry and she stomps off to bed.

Julia returns and finds Roger consoling himself with a brandy. Tearfully she tells him that Barnabas is missing.

Meanwhile, Angelique has brought Barn to a hut near the sea. She reminds him of those nights in Martinique. I made no pledge! Barn insists. Some pledges are not made in words, she replies calmly. He warns her that Nicholas will find out. Nicholas is too busy with his own-- involvements, she replies without concern. In a few days, all my preparations will be made. Horror floods Barnabas as he realizes, You want to make me like you! Yes, Angelique replies, because that way we can be together for all eternity. Still resourceful, Barnabas warns her, You’ve moved too quickly. You can’t afford to let me die now. You’re not going to die yet, Angelique assures him. I will if you don’t leave me, Barnabas insists. As if in answer to his hope, the Collinwood rooster begins crowing. Perhaps you’re right, Angelique concedes. I must be more careful. With bitter humor, Barnabas says, I hope I disappoint you and die before dawn. You won’t die this night, Angelique replies, or for a few more nights. But poor Barnabas is appalled when she says, I will leave you here, to rest during the day as I will rest. When it is night again, I will come back to you. Until tonight then, she says politely as she vanishes from sight.

Vicki comes downstairs in the morning and finds Julia still sitting in the drawing room (but wearing a different dress). Vicki sends Julia off to bed and promises to wake her if there's any news of Barn.

As soon as Angelique vanishes, Barnabas starts wondering who can help him. He rules out Julia and Willie because he's sure Angelique will think of them too--then he decides on Vicki. Just the thought of Vicki gives Barnabas the strength to get to his feet and open the door to his prison, but he cowers away from the bright sunlight. He begins to call to Vicki, wrapping his cravat loosely around his neck to cover his shame. Just saying her name gives him the strength to move into the daylight.

Roger comes downstairs and apologizes profusely to Vicki. Eventually she accepts his apology.

Meanwhile, Barnabas has reached the cool shade of the woods. He renews his call to Vicki, clutching desperately at a tree to keep himself on his feet.

While still speaking with Roger, Vicki suddenly grows abstracted. She goes out to the foyer to stand in front of the portrait of Barnabas. Somehow his call has reached her, and she senses he is in danger. She tells Roger, I have to go to the Old House--I’ll be back soon. She hurries out. While walking through the woods, she hears a faint groan and finds Barnabas where he has collapsed on the ground. Vicki, he murmurs, you heard my call...but it’s too late...too late... He loses consciousness with these last words.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 07:51:05 PM »
Beautiful summary, DL.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 08:39:53 PM »
Good exchange about Martinique, as if it happened five years ago.   How does Barnabas communicate with Vicki telepathically?   I think he chooses her, though, because Willie or Julia would ask questions Ang won't let him answer, and Julia would figure it out.  If I followed that correctly.   Where was he being held, did they say?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 01:37:41 AM »
Thanks, dom! *blush*

The Robservation for this episode says "Abandoned hut near the sea." But it must be a very upscale hut, because in the DS Wiki slideshow you can see that it has walls of brick and stone.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 07:50:24 PM »
Roger feels his dream is real. The video is jumpy which has to be one of those tech problems hinted about on the DVD . Julia comes in with her head cocked in a Julia way" Angelique's fade out is well done! light years away from some of the early years. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times