Author Topic: Lost Episode of DS FOUND???  (Read 2745 times)

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Lost Episode of DS FOUND???
« on: December 08, 2013, 06:48:29 PM »
Here's an eBay listing for a 1225 episode collection of tapes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DARK-SHADOWS-KODACHROME-16MM-PROTECTION-PRINT-COLLECTION-1966-1971-/281223043311?pt=US_Film&hash=item417a3318ef 

I wrote to the seller.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: interfilmartentertainment
Subject: Details about item: cmcviefan sent a message about DARK SHADOWS KODACHROME 16MM PROTECTION PRINT COLLECTION 1966-1971 #281223043311
Sent Date: Dec-08-13 08:50:47 PST

Dear interfilmartentertainment,HelloEpisode 1219 is missing from the DS llibrary.  Did you count these cannisters? If there are 1225 as you mentioned in your post, then you have an episode that's considered lost. I think you might be able to get more money from MPI or Dan Curtis Productions if you take it to them. I have a link to the reconstruction of the ep to check against whatever may be in a cannister labled 1219.  If you have any questions, please contact me. I'm trying not to get too excited about this. Best wishes,Joe - cmcviefan

And here is his answer.                       

Dear cmcviefan,Joe,yes I have that episode as well.  I once offered prints to MPI but they said they have everything and don't need anything.  I'll wait and see what happens.- interfilmartentertainment

What do you all think?   

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Episode of DS FOUND???
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 07:13:54 PM »
That might well be the biggest find since Darren Gross found the footage from Night of Dark Shadows.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 07:39:38 PM »
Just try to make sure it really IS the missing episode.  Due to different ways of counting and number shows, it's easy for an episode to have a number on it that does not tally with the "correct number." 

If you do buy the show and want it converted to a format you can watch, feel free to PM me--I know someone who may be able to help you.

Best,

SF

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 08:29:51 PM »
I've also spoken to him and he confirms that the set is complete of ALL 1225 episodes, including missing 1219 and all 30 of the missing color episodes...in color.

How the existence and creation of color kinescopes back in the day was unknown and never mentioned in any of the paperwork or documentation for the show is a mystery to me.

There are several questions that need answering- he needs to post images from film frames to confirm what he's selling actually is (not stock framegrabs which is what is up there now) what he says it is and shots of the film cans where one can actually real the labels.  That way I can confirm some technical information, like film lab, creation date etc. to make sure these are not a fan filming off of TV or actually b&w or something else odd.

He's been responsive to a few questions so far, so we'll see where it goes.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 09:05:24 PM »
I've chatted with the seller some more and this looks legit- he's a DS fan and collector from way back and knows what he is selling. He'll post some film frames in the next couple of days.

Interested to see where it goes- I just hope it doesn't end up in the hands of a collector who puts it in his storage locker and exalts in the knowledge he can see what no one else can see, which happens a bit with DS rarities.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 11:06:53 PM »
If this is legit, it'll be interesting to see what happens.  How much will DCP and Worldvision be willing to pay for them?  How many lawyers will you-know-who call out to demand that they be turned over free of charge?  Regardless, again, if this is legit, it's a remarkable find.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 12:53:56 AM »
I just hope it doesn't end up in the hands of a collector who puts it in his storage locker and exalts in the knowledge he can see what no one else can see, which happens a bit with DS rarities.

Sad but very true.  [santa_sad]

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 01:06:43 AM »
I have a daugther to put through college; I will not be bidding.As for getting the tapes through legal channels, I'm pretty sure that the statute of limitations is up on retrieving them. I know that the BBC had leads to Doctor Who episodes. They were not able to search the premises to see if the lead was real or bogus. I'm not an expert on the law, of course.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 01:48:51 AM »
Again, if this is legit, I have no problem with the owner of them making some money, even a lot of money, off of it.  After all, doesn't you-know-who make sure that some people get and keeps lots of money?  But beyond that, it would be great if the owner of these tapes would put some of them on youtube and allow fans to see them, at least some of them, for free.  That would burn the grundies of you-know-who.  You-know-who doesn't own them; the collector does.  It's time to put you-know-who and his army of lawyers in his place. 

Gerard

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 01:53:29 AM »
I read that some old episodes of The Tonight Show made their way into the hands of a collector. He retained the right to keep them, but he was told he'd be sued if he made the shows available to the public. The collector owns the physical tape or film not the rights to distribution or performance.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 02:24:00 AM »
Well, if that's also the case in this case, which seems quite possible, then unless whoever ends up owning the tapes decides to make some sort of arrangement with DCP/MPI, no one is likely to ever see them in any type of public manner, much less own DVD copies of them.  [santa_sad]

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 03:01:42 AM »
The auction was ended by the seller.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 03:27:53 AM »
Curiouser and curiouser.  I have the feeling we haven't heard the last of this... but then, who knows.

Let's hope we're not all saying at some point down the line, "What might have been... can never be." (quoting the late great Sandor Rakosi)

G.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 03:29:31 AM »
I've been looking into this with a great deal of hope, but the further I go... something doesn't smell right.  I could be wrong, but something is not jelling. 

I'd take all of this with a grain of salt right now.  Sometimes things that sound too good to be true, are.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 03:40:31 AM »
I agree that "something doesn't smell right."  One reason 1219 was missing in the first place, we were told, was that a backup copy was never made. It was never syndicated. We are lucky to have the series at all. Those kinescopes were not buackups; they were made for stations that wanted to timeshift DS. The network did away with the kinescopes a year or so before the series ended, hence the "lost episode." 

What bugged me from the get go was the fact that he never highlighted the fact that the "lost episode" was supposedly included.  I wanted to get a fresh perspective from everyone, so I made no mention of my reservations. I siimply asked what you all thought. Unless he reposts soon, I smell a hoax.