Author Topic: Are the DS Festivals on hiatus?  (Read 1392 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Are the DS Festivals on hiatus?
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:16:49 AM »
Just wondering if anyone might know...

Are the full-blown DS Festivals coming back at some point?

I've noticed the cruises going on as well as the Lyndhurst gatherings but haven't seen anything lately about the Dark Shadows Festival happening in NY or LA. I'd really like to go to the next NY one.

Are the Fests over or are they just on hiatus for now?
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Are the DS Festivals on hiatus?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 01:39:32 AM »
I wouldn't say they're on hiatus.  I think they're trying to do something a bit different, at least for a few times, beyond the same-old-same-old NY-LA-NY-LA-NY-LA year-in-year-out.  It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that the old formula drew the same people over and over again, even if the numbers were high, because they live close to one of the locales (and some will fly from one coast to the other), making it worth the time and money.  But for those of us DS fans left in the nether-regions where time or finances don't allow such a weekend excursion, we're left out.  If they had a DS fest in, say, Chicago, I might have the remote chance to go.  But in NY or LA?  Impossible.  I was lucky to have attended my only one in NY in 2003 because, ironically, I was returning from a cruise to Bermuda and had that entire Saturday free.  It was just the luck of the draw. 

It's good that the old formula of NY/LA can draw so many, but as I opined, it seems to be the same ones.  A franchise can't grow if it doesn't attract new numbers.  It would be interesting to see how many of the people on this past cruise, even though the numbers were far lower than what would've attended a big, massive, splashy NY/LA festival, were - percentage wise - "newbies" to the fest as compared with the percentage of those attending the NY/LA formula. 

No, not all of us (as a matter of fact, most of us) don't have the time or ability to take off for a week as opposed to a weekend.  And while the cost of cruise seems insurmountable, dollar for dolllar it's cheaper than a NY/LA weekend (or a Chicago weekend).  DS needs "fresh blood" to keep it going.  The devotion of "old" fans is undoudtedly appreciated, especially the ones who have made and will continue to make the NY/LA pilgrimage.  I'm just glad they're trying new things.  This is, after all, the twenty-teens.  We need to keep up with the times.  If a TV remake was done again, I'm sure it would show members of Collinwood using downloads to listen to music and not a record player.  And when someone would need to dial Sheriff Patterson, they'd use a hand-held "smartphone" instead of a rotary dial.

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »
unless plans have been changed there is a two day fest planned for next summer in Tarrytown...

the next DS "cruise" I believe is set for summer 2015.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 06:43:11 PM »
I quite agree with Gerard.

I happened a while back to be 'surfing', and I noticed quite a few fan clubs in Florida. Chicago too.

I realize Atlanta has 'Comic Con', but why not DS too?

Imagine the DS fans invading Idaho...lololol [a_xmas]

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 11:31:34 PM »
A company I use to work for would have its conferences in places like Des Moines or Lincoln, cities big enough for easily connectable airports but not necessarily hubs of tourist excitement (my apologies to Des Moines and Lincoln).  It knew virtually everyone would be attending the meetings, seminars, workshops or whatever.  Once it had one in Las Vegas.  The rooms holding the meetings, seminars, workshops or whatever were all virtually deserted but Sin City's economy certainly had a boost!  Next one, back in Des Moines.

Gerard

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 04:46:48 AM »
Thanks for the replies! How does the Tarrytown fest compare to the NYC Fest in the hotel?
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 06:03:43 AM »
Hi Penny Dreadful, I'm not sure about this past Summer's schedule, but I remember reading that the 2012 DS event in Tarrytown was a much more pared-down affair compared to the traditional Festival schedule.  I don't believe there was a vendor's room at all.  What I remember reading about was a day of tours at the Lyndhurst mansion which included the opportunity to get autographs of the celebrities who had been invited, followed by a luncheon the next day.  Originally the latter was to feature only KLS and Lara Parker I believe, but Nancy Barrett and Jerry Lacy showed up and performed a touching skit about a chance reunion between Tony and Carolyn in 2012.  (I was able to see Youtube videos of the skit.)

The 2013 event was a "Friends of Dark Shadows" sponsored affair, I believe, so it was basically run by a group of fans rather than the DCP-organized Festival committee.

I'm just writing what I can remember here in answer to your question since it has been 3 days and nobody who might be more knowledgeable has bothered to respond.

Hoping to catch up with some of your recent shows over the winter!

Best,  G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 12:46:52 PM »
yes my experience with the Tarrytown events is that it is a pared down variation on the big New York festivals.

just one evening of "festivities" as opposed to two and if I recall no closing "banquet" on Sunday although I could be wrong on that point. sometimes there is a dealers' room(again, pared down)and sometimes not although MPI and a few other 'select' merchants get to peddle their wares.

otherwise it's the usual sate of affairs: the panel discussions with the actors, Q&As, various video presentations, little skits and performances by the actors and fans, the autograph situation and so forth...

since I live in New York I've just come in for the day with the Tarrytown events in the past and found that sufficient. hotel bound guests obviously make a weekend of it. it's sort of what you'd expect. the format doesn't vary too much from year to year.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 05:13:49 PM »
There was a luncheon at the host hotel on Sunday, somewhat cheaper than the banquet.

And, yes, it's a scaled down version of the Festival weekend.  I'm not sure if there was a costume gala at this one.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 04:56:02 AM »
Thanks for the info. Hmm. It definitely sounds like a much smaller affair than the full-on Festivals, though cool in its own way.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD