Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0565  (Read 769 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0565
« on: October 12, 2013, 04:22:03 PM »
Robservations #565

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0565

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 04:29:41 PM »
Moltke VO.   "The" Old House finally, not "an" old house on the estate....  Tom makes big unexpected entrance in the basement inner sanctum... bites cameraman, I mean Julia... now drag it out as long as you can, Briscoe....  I'd thought it was Adam at the window.   Sam Hall credited again, writing good, not as great as previous day's...

[candle_in_skull_2] [candle_in_skull_2] [candle_in_skull_2]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 06:34:21 PM »
Vicki is wearing yet another sleeveless dress and looks very nice.

In the basement lab at the Old House, Barnabas tells Julia, I’m very grateful for everything you’re doing. Even this small morsel of praise is enough to make Julia smile as if Barnabas had said something more intimate. Jeff arrives and finds Lang's journal. He is repelled by what Barn and Julia are planning. But when he leaves, we see that Tom has been spying through a window and now knows that Julia is alone in the house.

Julia is writing Barnabas a note about Jeff’s visit when she hears footsteps upstairs (though we can see Tom lurking in the not nearly dark enough shadows behind her in the basement). Thinking it’s Barnabas, she calls his name, then pays no mind until the footsteps come down the stairs and she still hasn’t had an answer to her call. Turning around, she sees the silhouette of a young man who at first seems to be a complete stranger to her. But as he steps out of the shadows, she gasps, I know who you are! You’re Tom Jennings! He advances on her, smiling hungrily with fangs bared, ignoring her screams....

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 09:43:14 PM »
For those who may wish to follow along at home via Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFxwJ_-WFXg

Love the opening pan of Julia's flasks, vials, retorts and lab equipment... the psychedelia of the color scheme seems very 1968...

G.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 02:45:46 AM »
Julia works on the body.  Barnabas gives Vickie back her ring and says Willie found it.  Rule #1 always involve Willie. Why not just say he found it on the front porch or even the floor. The dogs howl crazily an hits really spooky. Julia taking advantage of the electricity is listening to an old Packard Radio.  Though it wasn't that old in 1968.  The miserable Jeff just walks in the house and snoops around.  The man keeps appearing and it's Tom
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 10:46:47 PM »
Wow, digital surely improves the quality. I hadn't been wowed by it really until seeing the bottles on the table in the lab. What a noticeable difference. My second wow came right after that with the grotesqueness of seeing Julia sewing up the body.

Weird conversation between Barn & Jules. I didn't like it. It didn't flow, even Grayson had trouble with it. And the fade into the next scene was very noticeable to me as something I've never seen before. I don't know that it is so. I liked it.

I like the scene between Vicki and Jeff at the Great House despite the fact that it wasn't very well done in all ways. Moltke's back to the camera was very off-putting. I do think I detected a bit of chemistry between them and I did like that. I didn't particularly like their second scene in the drawing room. Or the continuation after with the discussion of Barn knowing about the kidnapping though I did like that Jeff figured out that Vicki was remembering where she was and that the ring was her comfort during that stressful time, etc.

New makeup man?

This episode sucks. Nothing seems right. Our Love Is Here To Stay on the radio in the lab? The whole episode seems off kilter to me and I'm not enjoying it. The scene between Frid & Hall before he leaves to see 'Willie', WTF was that? Awful directing and no one is particularly at the top of their game.

I will give props for Davis' body language perfectly fitting the voice-over.

Tom being an independent vampire seems very wrong to me. I would expect that Nicholas would have control or perhaps be keeping an eye on him. I can't believe that it would be in his plan to have Julia bitten and lose control of the experiment. Unless it's his way of controlling her. But, I don't think so.