Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0550  (Read 815 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0550
« on: September 21, 2013, 03:44:02 AM »
Robservations #550

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0550

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 10:30:31 AM »
Stokes pushes Adam onward into his egotism and terrible-twos phase, and into Nick's waiting arms, by blowing completely his talk with Adam about why he can't expect love from Carolyn.   He bases it on how different he is from her, first in terms of economic class and cultural sophistication, and then in terms of Adam's basic difference in nature because he was made in a laboratory, not "naturally".   Adam's just not good enough for Carolyn, in other words.   Adam's clumsy, poor, and creepy.

He should have told Adam why it's not good to try to force affection,  or use force period, and how there's a difference between friendship and being in love, and that the former is a wonderful thing, not to be undervalued.

Revealing Adam's true nature to him bluntly and without providing any real context or cushioning was totally inept.   Stokes talks about Lang's great dream, but is still presenting Adam's artificial origin as a bad thing, in that it means Carolyn will never, ever want him because of it.

Adam should not necessarily have been horrified by his origin in a lab.  He doesn't necessarily know that that isn't how everyone's made.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 10:35:55 AM »
Stokes not only drives home that Carolyn can never want him, but that no one ever can.  No one except maybe.....   That leads Adam right into his next big, wrong plan...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 11:14:09 PM »
Okay, I don't think Carolyn had sex with Adam. At yesterday's close it occurred to me that Adam most likely wouldn't know how to force intercourse because he couldn't possibly know it exists in the first place.

David's Stokes was in rare form today. Not so rare but so wonderfully....? Stokes figures Ange is probably not dead in under twenty seconds of Vicki's report. Carolyn asks Stokes help with Adam's growing sense of self. Dramatic yet fun first act.

Jeff decides to marry Vicki on the 24th of September because it's her favorite month and number. It's an odd proposal but Vicki is all smiles. And she likes the ring too. The scene ends under the spying eye of Adam.

Adam is pretty up to speed with humanness, as far as speech and manner. Great scene with Stokes & Adam. I'm not as adverse to the conversation as Magnus is. I think it is fine as written and made sense in the context of the show. I will agree that Adam should have been made to realize that you can't make someone love you but I think Adam was past that point thanks in part to Nicholas. I'm not seeing the drastic 'cruelty' Magnus is.

Vicki/Moltke looked nice in a different do, and though I didn't care to see Jeff/Davis return it was nice to see Vicki 'happy'. Thayer was off the hook today, great dialogue, well acted, along with Rodan who rarely misses a beat. I really liked this episode - good adult content and drama - it went by in a flash.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 02:49:26 PM »
At no point was Stokes inflicting deliberate cruelty on Adam with his speech, far from it.   From Elliot's perspective, he was trying to teach Adam some unfortunate truths, out of kindness and a desire to help as much as he could.   Unfortunately, he's not listening to himself, and making it up on the spot, and so doesn't realize he's just conveying society's prejudices, and making things much worse.

In many cases of one person hurting another, intent is irrelevant.   If I hit you accidentally with my car, I may not have meant any harm, but that doesn't mean I didn't do any.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 07:51:25 PM »
Stokes' telephone number (having previously been shown as two other numbers) is now Collinsport 4099, which has also been used for Collinwood telephones. When Vicki finds him in the drawing room at Collinwood, he already has helped himself to a sherry, telling Vicki (perhaps a bit untruthfully) that Carolyn said it would be okay.

Funny scene with Vicki and Stokes when she tells him that Cassandra has left Roger, apparently for good. Then he has my congratulations, Stokes observes dryly. Vicki adds, Besides that, the portrait of Angelique first became unrecognizably distorted, and now is just a mess of white paint. At first Stokes feels quite celebratory (he helps himself to a second sherry), but he becomes very alarmed when Vicki tells him that Nicholas has rented what will forever after be known as the House by the Sea.

Jeff is wearing his best three-piece suit when he proposes to Vicki on the terrace. She assures him that she loves both Jeff Clark and Peter Bradford. Everything is perfect: He offers her an engagement ring of a nice, old-fashioned design; she asks him to put it on the third finger of her left hand. As they embrace in quiet happiness, they are blissfully unaware that Adam is watching them forlornly from an upstairs window. [Long ago, Burke Devlin asked the same question and got the same answer from the same woman in the same location, I believe even on the same little bench. And they also kissed while someone was watching sadly and surreptitiously--in that case, Barnabas, from beyond the gate.]

The scene with Stokes and Adam is long and painful--and very well done, as I remember. Stokes tells Adam that he came into being differently from other people, and Adam jumps to the wrong conclusion when he decides that that's why Carolyn can't love him. He murmurs the last few words of Eric Lang's final message, but when Stokes asks him what he said, he throws the professor out, and Stokes doesn't realize the unfortunate conclusion Adam has drawn.

Alone in his room upstairs, Adam is overwhelmed with grief and despair. He gazes at himself in the mirror. Staring hard at his scar-seamed face, he mutters, She hates me. He smashes the mirror, then seizes a sharp knife from his food tray. Sobbing, She hates me, he suddenly turns the blade on himself.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 02:03:56 AM »
Carolyn reports that Adam is now a man. Somehow Adam has learned many new things in a short period of time. Maybe by his reading the dusty books in a dusty room.  Adam  comes to the conclusion he is ugly and needs to die by his own hand. Apparently from the search  for the face episode, Adam was all done but the face, so why did Lange attach the face in the middle of the forehead and for no reason put cuts under the eye. Adam has been around for a long while, yet his scars have not begun to fade nor have the stitched been removed. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times